Lawfully Awful Falafel Waffle Dec 5, 2013 @ 4:36pm
Steam crashes on login
A few months ago I downloaded the Windows version of Steam on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.9) in order to play my wineskinned version of Skyrim. I was playing it last night until it crashed as I had to close Steam manually (Skyrim crashes often, so nothing unusual there). I tried to boot up the Windows version of Steam again, as I always do to re-open Skyrim, but Steam had to update (or so it said). The update took 10-15 seconds (about a third to half the normal download time) and Steam started to log me in. However, just as the little window that said "Connecting to Steam account: evilkittywizard" disappeared (as it always does when my library is loading), the icon of Steam on my dock disappeared.

Maybe this had to do with the update? Not sure, but Crossover (which needs to be running during login) was unaffected, plus neither Steam nor Crossover had any crash reports.

I'd appreciate an explanation or solution; both are useful at this point.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Drew Fallout Dec 6, 2013 @ 1:31pm 
From my experience, this could be two things. #1 crossover on mac might not be as stable, as it should be especially with a large game like skyrim. Once i set my machine to dual boot windows a lot of instability on the windows side went away. Still not perfect, steam does have its occasional freak out on the windows side, but i've also experienced that with mac. hope that helps.
Lawfully Awful Falafel Waffle Dec 7, 2013 @ 8:08am 
Originally posted by Drew Fallout:
From my experience, this could be two things. #1 crossover on mac might not be as stable, as it should be especially with a large game like skyrim. Once i set my machine to dual boot windows a lot of instability on the windows side went away. Still not perfect, steam does have its occasional freak out on the windows side, but i've also experienced that with mac. hope that helps.
I uninstalled Crossover and reinstalled it. For some reason it installed a new version of Steam for Windows along with it. I guess my old Steam for Windows client was just derping the f*ck out
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 5, 2013 @ 4:36pm