Tatty Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:12am
Steam for Mac - Overall Opinions
I use an iMac on a regular, day-to-day basis, however I think that Valve has overlooked the Steam Mac community. For starters, the client itself has many bugs that do not occur on the Windows platform. Secondly, Valve games are also very glitchy on OSX whereas on Windows they run smoothly. A final point on video games on a whole is that the compatibility for iMacs and OSX in general is extremely poor. All of the most recent, popular video games are often only availible on consoles/Windows PCs. Even when they are released on Mac - take Call of Duty - Black Ops for example - it takes years for the port to come out. Another example is Worms Revolution - the Mac port for this game came out fairly recently - the game was only availible from the Mac App Store, and not from Steam.
Please add to this discussion so we can tell Valve how we feel about their undermining of OSX.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
TG Lantaern Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:15am 
valve doesnt control whether games are developed for mac or not.
Tatty Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:19am 
Originally posted by Eyedntknow:

I know, however that is on gaming as a whole, not just Valve
Widow Engie Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:39am 
The Mac community in general has been ignored, but unfortunately most of it is beyond Valve's control. The Mac Client is buggy as hell, although the recent beta patches have improved it somewhat, so I'd suggest telling the client to update with Beta releases. As for Valve games being glitchy, the only one that I can think of that's glitchy a lot of the time is Team Fortress 2, due to its constant updates although most glitches are fixed pretty fast.

As for your final point, Mac support for games is very limited but that is due to publishers and developers as a whole being unwilling/unable to port for a platform that (in their eyes) doesn't have a lot of people on it. The ones that do have ports for their games (such as Firaxis has XCom:EU and Civilization V ported) aren't actually the ones who have ported the game. The people who actually port the games are porting companies like Feral Interactive and Aspyr. As these two have to actually redo 90% of the code (changing the API's used from DirectX to OpenGL) the time taken to port these games is, as you said, far further along than Windows releases. Another reason behind this is that Feral and Aspyr only get the chance to port after release as it is easier to port code that has already been completed so they only have to combat bugs that are unique to the system.

Woms Revolution appears to have been ported in house so I'm not entirely sure why it wasn't available on Steam but as for others, such as Bioshock and Bioshock 2, the reason they aren't on Steam is because they were ported by Feral Interactive, who only recently have been clearing their ports for release on Steam, due to the fact that sales of the game on Steam are only paid to the original publisher who then pays the companies that made it. Feral and Aspyr don't get paid through this process as Steam doesn't distinguish sales from Linux, Mac or Windows.

TL;DR Most of it is out of Valve's control.
Last edited by Widow Engie; Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:40am
yariza Nov 24, 2013 @ 1:23pm 
I would agree with most of the opinions above, that most of the problems arise from developers not producing adaquate Mac ports of games. It's rather unfortunate that Macs versions of game end up being lowly shoddily-ported versions that would run better under Bootcamp, but I don't think there' anything Valve can do about this.
duanelocsin Dec 2, 2013 @ 12:57am 
slightly off topic, but all this focus on console gaming and less attention on PC games it would be good if devs/publishers see Macs as a PC as well.
cancerman Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:50pm 
Originally posted by Eyedntknow:
It does control the steam client though that has been buggy and likes to crash since it first came out like 3 Mac OS X versions ago!
As far as Mac users being overlooked it all comes down to money and who is paying the bills and currently that is PC users for valve.
#1 law of game programming is to develop games for the most popular OS

Unfortunately for us Mac users it will never become the most widespread desktop OS like Windows so we will continue to be ignored.
Contrast that the phones and tablets where Mac OS X is the most widespread OS and that's why all the games there are written for Apple's appstore first then Android.
Although that can change as we see Android catching up and more programmers developing for Android.
alincoff1 Dec 3, 2013 @ 8:26am 
Another interesting point (which may have already been made) is that even once the games are ported for MAC, they are often times unplayable. Take Max Payne 3 a game that takes about 30GB (a lot for me I have a Macbook Air) and is unbelievably glitchy. It took forever for any kind of patch or improvement to come out but even then the game is still experiencing problems. Its interesting though that some games are available in the Mac App Store (Tomb Raider, Arkham Asylum) but aren't available in steam.

Feral is amazing and I appreciate what they do. I also just discovered Mac Game Store (i'm slow to this) which has a ton of games for pretty cheap. I use that and compare the prices to steam. Sometimes steam is better though.
Saemun Dec 4, 2013 @ 9:10pm 
I agree with your post!
B1GTAC0 Dec 4, 2013 @ 9:23pm 
are there any good RTS games for mac?
jp4464 Dec 4, 2013 @ 9:47pm 
I have two laptops; an HP touchsmart, and a MacBook Pro. Regarding which one is better, I'm actually just happy I can run games on both. It shouldn't matter what laptop or computer you use to play games. I just wish there was more support for Mac owners.
Widow Engie Dec 5, 2013 @ 4:40am 
Originally posted by B1GTAC0:
are there any good RTS games for mac?
Rome Total War, Empire Total War, Starcraft, Starcraft 2.
ALLEPIC259 Dec 5, 2013 @ 3:17pm 
im sorry to say this but mac is just a small demographic vs windows users. I personaly play on a PC i have never pladed on the mac OS, if you cant afford a new pc (who can in this economy) i would advise you can get windows on a mac also about steam OS
OnTheBus Dec 5, 2013 @ 4:01pm 
I use a mac for a bunch of games on steam 2d games run just fine but games in 3d (like with polygons not like with glasses) are usually choppy. I can get past that, what bugs me is that every time i try and watch a trailer or game video in fullscreen Steam crashes. I am running a mac mini with maverick through a 1080p tv. just giving a heads up hopin for a hotfix.
Fix_TheGovernor Jan 18 @ 4:40pm 
Endless Space is a 4X game quite good.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:12am