BigBoomer Nov 3, 2014 @ 5:26pm
Universal access mac keeps asking
I got Steam for Mac on OSX 10.9.4, however, once I turned on Accessibility, Steam would keep asking me to enable it. Please help

Thanks.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 112 comments
Renos Nov 3, 2014 @ 5:50pm 
someone neeeds to forward this to valve
Maxine Nov 4, 2014 @ 8:31pm 
Originally posted by lightninrod4:
someone neeeds to forward this to valve
For sure!
Spam Musubi Nov 4, 2014 @ 10:48pm 
Same problem, been like this since before ESWC....
Me too, and it's terrible because the overlay doesn't work in game! But worst of all I think it's the cause of my TF2 not working. :O
Auxsoul Nov 5, 2014 @ 8:41pm 
My friend and I are experiencing the same problem. It is very irritating.
Interpreter715 Nov 6, 2014 @ 12:42am 
Also experiencing this. Every time I launch a game I'm told to turn on universal access, even though it's already on.
carcinogens Nov 6, 2014 @ 12:50am 
this problem pops up everytime they release any substantialy sized update for steam
ForgottenRabbit Nov 6, 2014 @ 1:07am 
happens to me to
thefunkygibbon Nov 6, 2014 @ 9:17am 
happens to me, guessing it happens to everyone. guessing valve can't be bothered to fix.
Last edited by thefunkygibbon; Nov 6, 2014 @ 9:17am
psychoorc99 Nov 6, 2014 @ 4:08pm 
What I've found is that if you open system preferences and disable steam in accessibility, and then reenable it when prompted, the overlay works fine.
linus Nov 6, 2014 @ 5:52pm 
I'm having this issue too and I can't even launch TF2 now. I can't use the steam overlay without pressing esc first (my mouse won't appear on screen automatically when I open it), and it's obnoxious.
Update: I was just able to launch TF2, however, it still asked me for universal access and to enable assistive devices (I never disabled them).
Last edited by linus; Nov 6, 2014 @ 7:05pm
The RogueWolf Nov 6, 2014 @ 6:30pm 
Every time i quit and enter steam... It asks to control the computer (you know the message since the steam update) then when i quit and enter steam... it comes up again
Skarp Hulduson Nov 6, 2014 @ 6:42pm 
This issue has been raised in many threads here. Long story short: re-enable access for Steam every time you launch Steam.

OS X changed Universal Access in 10.9.6 (?). Trying to fix the problem seems to have served mostly to break other versions too. Lots of "fixes" have been posted, and some of them might even work for some OS X versions. Or not, hard to say.

Be patient, they'll fix it.
Geko™ [ESP] Nov 7, 2014 @ 11:12am 
Same thing here, it keeps asking when I launch a game.
touché Nov 10, 2014 @ 7:06am 
Wew, I also get this problem from long time ago. Here is my fix:
  1. Make sure Steam is not running.
  2. Go to System Preferences and uncheck Steam from the Accessibility preference pane.
  3. Quit System Preferences.
  4. Open Terminal and copy-paste the following exactly as you see it, including all quotes:
    sudo sqlite3 /Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/Tcc.db 'delete from access where client like "%Steam%"'
  5. Re-open the Accessibility preference pane on System Preferences and make sure that Steam is not listed there.
  6. Close System Preferences, launch Steam and try to play a game. The warning dialog box about the Steam overlay will pop-up again. Use it to go back into System Preferences and Steam should have re-appeared. Check the box if it's not already, close System Preferences, and you should be good to go.
Last edited by touché; Nov 10, 2014 @ 7:06am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 112 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 3, 2014 @ 5:26pm