gdoran0287 Apr 21, 2014 @ 5:32pm
why is it possible to buy games not native to my OS
This seems to be a obvious thing that could be easily delt with. Why can't the OS specific STEAM store application not reconise what OS is being used and keep the user from buying games not formated for that OS?

That seems like a rather underhanded busness practice. I should not be able to buy a PC title if i'm running the Mac OS STEAM store. and the no refund policy just makes this problem even worse when if comes to titles that SHOULD be on both OS yet STEAM only supports one of those.

I'm just wondering why it was possible for me to waste 20$ on a product I can't use and there was no warning until AFTER I purchased it that it was from a different OS. and yes there are the little icons that identify what OS the game is for but having owned the game before on my Mac OS but having lost the orginal Key I was trying to re-buy it.

however, to my suprise and irritation the version on STEAM only supposts PC. would have been nice had the title not even shown up considering i'm on the Mac OS STEAM store so what busness does anything for any other OS have being on the Mac OS STEAM store?

I just don't get how this is an issue after how many years now? why bothering to have a Mac OS store if you aren't going to filter out the games that don't run on that OS? its not difficult.
Last edited by gdoran0287; Apr 21, 2014 @ 5:32pm
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 23, 2014 @ 9:11am 
RIght - because OBVIOUSLY they detect the OS. It's not hard (I do it in basic html) also if it's a apple/win program. And you buy - then download... IT KNOWS WHAT VERSION TO SEND TO YOUR MACHINE.

What is strange, is sometimes I will buy a game on PC because I'm on the PC and I want it for the Mac or visa versa. It has told me before that I'm not on the OS. I then have to open parallels (win8) and run steam to make a purchase that will then work on windows. So they know what platform we're using.

I just bought portal 2 for mac and it doesn't work - looking in the files I see a executable... or .EXE file I don't see any apple .APP files. ????
Kargor Apr 24, 2014 @ 2:53am 
First of all, Valve has somewhere between 0 and no interest to prevent you from accidentally buying anything.

Second -- they could track what platforms your account has been used on, and give you several warning levels, such as the game not being available on the current platform, or the game not being available on any platform you've used so far. However, implementing schemes like this "costs" money (development time -- I don't generally get the impression that Valve has a lot of people working on Steam-related stuff, so maybe they are even external developers that are hired as needed) -- just to prevent people from accidentally giving money to Valve?
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 24, 2014 @ 3:03pm 
I get it - but after being burned a couple times and not being reimbursed. MOST WILL bring their business elsewhere. SO in the long run - if they are looking to grow and profit. Keeping customers happy is always the best long term solution. I just bought portal 2 for Mac and it doesn't run. If they can't solve the problem. I'll not buy another game on steam. Just like after having so many problems downloading 2 games I bought from GameAgent - I will never buy from their site again.
flowergrrl Apr 24, 2014 @ 3:39pm 
I guess some people use more than one computer, would be irritating if I had to have more than one account due to multiple computers!
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 25, 2014 @ 6:08am 
?? I use the same account on all my computers. But I can only log into steam from one at a time.
Janichsan Apr 25, 2014 @ 11:53am 
The answer to the original question is very simple: It's because Valve takes it as granted that their customers possess the physical and mental prowess to take up and process the information clearly stated on each game's individual Steam store page to come to the necessary conclusion on whether to spend money on a game or not.

In the case that the detailed information in form of the system requirements are too complicated, there are easy to grasp symbols indicating the supported platforms right beside the "Purchase" button.

Should you find that you still cannot decide despite these information whether you could run a particular game or not, you should seriously consider giving back your credit card and let someone else more capable doing your business.
gdoran0287 Apr 25, 2014 @ 8:35pm 
Originally posted by Janichsan:
The answer to the original question is very simple: It's because Valve takes it as granted that their customers possess the physical and mental prowess to take up and process the information clearly stated on each game's individual Steam store page to come to the necessary conclusion on whether to spend money on a game or not.

In the case that the detailed information in form of the system requirements are too complicated, there are easy to grasp symbols indicating the supported platforms right beside the "Purchase" button.

Should you find that you still cannot decide despite these information whether you could run a particular game or not, you should seriously consider giving back your credit card and let someone else more capable doing your business.

except the game I purcased was on the Mac platorm just not on Steam, and I assumed that Steam would have both supported. The Sims is a big enough titles I shouldn't have to double check one of the biggest digital sellers in the world if they have a major title in more then one format.

its Valve being greedy and lazy that's what it comes down to it.
Janichsan Apr 26, 2014 @ 12:04am 
Originally posted by gdoran0287:
its Valve being greedy and lazy that's what it comes down to it.
No, it comes down to your total lack of reading comprehension and poor decision making skills.

Valve didn't trick you into buying the game by withholding any information to you or outright lying to you. All the information you needed to make an educated purchase decision where right in front of you and could have been only more obvious if someone came to your house and stabbed you in your eyes with it.

But you willfully decided to ignore this and assumed. Because assuming is easier and less exhausting than checking and thinking.

You know what is said about people who "assume"?

I know it's much easier on the mind to find someone else to put the blame on, but the simple fact is that there is only one single person to blame here.

And that person is you.
Last edited by Janichsan; Apr 26, 2014 @ 1:33am
Privet, ya Pauk. Apr 26, 2014 @ 12:12am 
Oh. Nice day, right?
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Apr 21, 2014 @ 5:32pm