Wolfy Apr 20, 2014 @ 2:28pm
Portal 2 On Mac
Hey guys im just wondering if you guys can help me.
I have a very old MacBook Pro and im debating to get Portal 2.

Here are my stats:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
Memory: 2 GB
ATI Radeon X1600:
Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Please tell me if it will work :)
Last edited by Wolfy; Apr 20, 2014 @ 2:29pm
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 22, 2014 @ 3:29pm 
just bought it and downloading for my Mac. 4.99 had to bite. But I have quad core, 12gb and 1gb vram. I can run all games so far in max res and highest options. Hoping this is a good one. Portral 1 was only 1.5 more - but I don't know if I would like it graphically if I played portral 2 first?
Wolfy Apr 22, 2014 @ 3:53pm 
i bought it and it says its not compatible, 14.99 down the drain
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 23, 2014 @ 8:16am 
this is weird - first it's 4.99 right now. I downloaded it on mac... it has win and MAC logos. It downloaded and won't run. So I go in and look at it and it appears to be the PC version. With a .exe WHATS WITH THAT?
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 23, 2014 @ 8:31am 
WTF STEAM? you out there? looking in the downloaded Portal 2 files, I see a file called HALFLIFE2 was this the orange box download? I bought only "portal 2" for 4.99 for Mac.

The game executable is .EXE - but there are some folders that say OSX. ?????

It seems to have OSX and WIN files. NEITHER WORKS. EXE won't run under parallels. I'm getting really fed up with online game buying. I bought Deus Ex from GameAgent 2 weeks ago and still have no been able to download it. Now this?

supahchief Apr 24, 2014 @ 4:32pm 
Originally posted by Ron:
WTF STEAM? you out there? looking in the downloaded Portal 2 files, I see a file called HALFLIFE2 was this the orange box download? I bought only "portal 2" for 4.99 for Mac.

The game executable is .EXE - but there are some folders that say OSX. ?????

It seems to have OSX and WIN files. NEITHER WORKS. EXE won't run under parallels. I'm getting really fed up with online game buying. I bought Deus Ex from GameAgent 2 weeks ago and still have no been able to download it. Now this?
Ok, so the deal is that most valve games are designed on top of the same source engine. The half-life file you see is probably just textures, sounds, and other valve source files that the two games have in common. (Half-life was the first game made using it, that I know of) I could be wrong on some of that, but the point is that it is nothing to worry about.
supahchief Apr 24, 2014 @ 4:35pm 
Originally posted by Ron:
this is weird - first it's 4.99 right now. I downloaded it on mac... it has win and MAC logos. It downloaded and won't run. So I go in and look at it and it appears to be the PC version. With a .exe WHATS WITH THAT?
The game was orriginaally designed for windows and then was ported to mac. The other reason it has files for both OS is for if you wanted to play the game on windows (like if you had a windows and mac machine).
supahchief Apr 24, 2014 @ 4:49pm 
P.S. I also had an identical machine to yours. After adjusting the graphics setting to low, closing all my other programs, and cleaning up all the clutter on my machine, I was able to run Portal 1 and 2, left 4 dead 1 and 2, and half-life without too much trouble at all. The reality for you computergaming is this: gaming on a mac is kind of new (reletively speaking) and not many companies want to spend extra time and money making their games compatible because mac gamming hasn't become as popular as pc gamming yet. So, of course you are going to have many problems, especialy with an old machine. If you want things to run smoother and play the games you want, for now, you might want to just suck it up and get a new PC. Your only other option is to get a new mac (which will help things greatly, trust me I have a new one and it's great) and have an extra hard drive installed (not alway neccecary) and have both windows and mac OS on your machine. So, you can choose which OS at start up. I have done this and while it solves many problems, it doesn't work flawlessly because windows wasn't designed for mac, but It will give you more freedom and options. FWEW. Sorry, that was I mouthfull. I hoped I at least helped you a little, if not give you some ideas.
Ron ︻气デ═一 Apr 25, 2014 @ 11:32am 
portal 2 doesn't work for me first game that won't.
I get this error when it trys to run the first time (to install)

Unable to load /Volumes/App HD & MiscSteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Portal 2/bin/filesystem_stdio.dylib

so far "support' have only given me stupid idiotic responses. I hate incompetitence in support jobs.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 20, 2014 @ 2:28pm