patacrc Mar 27 @ 8:54pm
Running PC games on MAC
People must get tired of this question, but it's worth a try.

I have an iMac 21.5 inch from mid 2010. I'd like to know the best way to run PC only MMOs on this machine since I can't afford a new one.

Anyone know the best way to squeeze the best performance and graphics out of an MMO using this machine? Parallels? Bootcamp? I realize it will never be as good as on a newer gaming PC, but this is what I have.

Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Brenden Mar 28 @ 1:58am 
Parallels as far as I know can only use integrated graphics, it doesn't utilize a GPU. So for best performance Boot Camp is the way to go.
Dilleys Mar 28 @ 5:54am 
Agreed re: Boot Camp. Parallels (like VMware Fusion) does hardware virtualization (opposed to paravirtualization for example) which incurs overhead/is less performant. Playing 2D or web-based games may be fine, but 3D games will likely crawl or not run at all whereas Boot Camp offers native performance.
Ron Mar 28 @ 7:25am 
Tired of question: I just wonder why is it ASKED SO MUCH when it's been answered as many times as it's been asked. Just search and read one of the previous reponses.

prolbem 1 - your mac is to slow. (Why are Mac people so computer illiterte?) why do you post 2010 instead of posing what processor you have. probably - core duo - so I'll assume that.

I had one! I was a PC for 34 years and someone gave me a slower mac like yours as payment for a job. I played with it - and loved OSX. I realized the machine was to slow for todays software. (games and video editing). I sold it cheap and replaced it with a used quad core with SSD and 12gb ram. This thing screams - all my PC games are fast and smooth.

My Mac won't install the bootcamp option. So I run all my PC software via "Parallels 9" I installed windows8 and though it's said to be slowre than a clean bootcamp install of windows I love how it performs. I've done demos of 2560 res desktop running Mac game AND a PC game side by side at the same time. Velvety smooth.

The only game that runs weird is Crysis. All others run faster on my Mac than they do on my older PC. (with SLI graphics cards).

BOOTCAMP will give you best performance on your older machine. Your only other option is to set the game resolution very low like 800x600 and turn off all the options - and set textures to low.

Other option - stick to Mac games - Borderlands 2 is awesome - I'm also downloading Brothers in Arms right now from the Apple store it's only 1.99. should run decent on your older hardware.
Dilleys Mar 28 @ 8:37am 
Originally posted by Ron:

prolbem 1 - your mac is to slow. (Why are Mac people so computer illiterte?) why do you post 2010 instead of posing what processor you have. probably - core duo - so I'll assume that.

Please do not assume and generalize. Furthermore, "early/mid/late <year>" is how many Mac users (and even Apple) describe the purchase/release date of their hardware. See here for details: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp588

I was a PC for 34 years...

You mention this in *every* post! :D

My Mac won't install the bootcamp option. So I run all my PC software via "Parallels 9" I installed windows8 and though it's said to be slowre than a clean bootcamp install of windows ...

BOOTCAMP will give you best performance on your older machine.

Which Mac are you using that will not allow you to use Boot Camp? Also, hardware virtualization is not just said to be slower, it _is_ typically slower. That's just the nature of it. Boot Camp will also give you the best performance on a current machine.
Lookyz14 Mar 28 @ 3:11pm 
Mac = chicken
Dorok Mar 29 @ 6:59am 
Originally posted by Lookyz14:
Mac = chicken
What's wrong in your head to feel the urgent necessity to post this??? Jealous because you don't have the money to buy yourself a Mac? Well do a better job that pay more. :-)

...Other option - stick to Mac games - Borderlands 2 is awesome - I'm also downloading Brothers in Arms right now from the Apple store it's only 1.99. should run decent on your older hardware.
Many Mac games use virtualization ie Wine stuff or Wine stuff like. So you need take care that those games are a bit slower than it would be from Bootcamp. Many are very playable anyway, it will all depend of you CPU and GPU.
Mozart Mar 29 @ 11:25am 
@OP, I suggest you to install Windows via Bootcamp utility. Your hardware is a bit dated, but you should be able to play games at low graphical settings.
Ron Mar 30 @ 4:52pm 
I have a mid 2011 Mac what processor do I have? what graphics card?
DOH
Boot camp won't install on my machine, I believe because if SSD and 2TB internal. DVD is external, Tried every option for 3 days straight. Would not boot from original win8 DVD unless I picked EFI drive, then it started to install win8 and stopped and errorred around the partition area. Can't partition EFI drives etc... I tried lost of other ways in and nothing worked.

vm windows will be slower but on my machine parallels gaming is ultra-smooth with all graphics on at 2560 x 1440 res. There is no sqeezing more out of bootcamp or parallels or even OSX if the procressor can't process any faster than it was designed to.

People ask this question over and over and over because they think someone will give them the holy grail answer and they'll get twice the processing power. It ain't gonna happen.

Ron
Been a PC for 34 years.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 27 @ 8:54pm