Will SteamOS be available for mac?
No one in the Steam for mac is responding.
< >
Zobrazeno 114 z 14 komentářů
You could probably install SteamOS on a Mac, just like you could install Ubuntu on a Mac. I just don't understand why you would do that.
Probably not as a prepackaged installation, but if you can install Linux on a Mac it shouldn't be too difficult to use the same overall walkthrough to get SteamOS onto a Mac.

And while I find it difficult to even imagine why someone would use SteamOS on a box just to save a few bucks, and in turn have limited support for games and a multitude of problems, I find it even more difficult to imagine why anyone would buy an already overpriced Mac to install SteamOS on it...
Naposledy upravil Kargor; 22. úno. 2014 v 4.17
Kargor původně napsal:
I find it even more difficult to imagine why anyone would buy an already overpriced Mac to install SteamOS on it...

I think it's pretty obvious that the OP will already have a Mac to install Steam OS on and doesn't want to buy a new, separate machine just for Steam OS.
They are separate OSs. You would need to install the Steam OS, like Linux, on a mac's before using it.
SteamOS can already run on a MAC as there is nothing stopping it from running. Dual Booting with it is just complicated for most ATM, even on a windows PC.

As a MAC uses the same hardware as a "PC" anyways, you should be able to use SteamOS as the only OS on there.
steamos is just another linux distro no different than ubuntu just that it has steam pre installed
you could always just install a 3rd pkarty boot loader
So does Steam OS allow Mac users to play Steam Windows games on Macs? If not, I'm thinking about getting Bootcamp for my Mac because I have some Windows only games in my Steam library that I cannot play now because, obviously, I have a Mac. Does anyone know if I should get Windows 7 or 8 on Bootcamp? I am hearing mixed reviews, some saying Windows 8 is better because it's newer and faster, while others are saying Windows 7 is better because Windows 8 is like a step backwards or something with a bad interface I am hearing. I don't really know what I should do, but I just really want to enjoy playing my Windows games.
Cyan Cobra původně napsal:
So does Steam OS allow Mac users to play Steam Windows games on Macs? If not, I'm thinking about getting Bootcamp for my Mac because I have some Windows only games in my Steam library that I cannot play now because, obviously, I have a Mac. Does anyone know if I should get Windows 7 or 8 on Bootcamp? I am hearing mixed reviews, some saying Windows 8 is better because it's newer and faster, while others are saying Windows 7 is better because Windows 8 is like a step backwards or something with a bad interface I am hearing. I don't really know what I should do, but I just really want to enjoy playing my Windows games.
Steam OS is a linux operating system. Game availability is just the same as Ubuntu, Debian, LM etc. You will actually be taking a step down in terms of game compatibility if you get steam os. I wouldnt reccomend installing it anyway since it is only in the first beta build.
Ericrct původně napsal:
Steam OS is a linux operating system. Game availability is just the same as Ubuntu, Debian, LM etc. You will actually be taking a step down in terms of game compatibility if you get steam os. I wouldnt reccomend installing it anyway since it is only in the first beta build.
Okay, but for now, would it still be recommended for me to get Bootcamp so I may enjoy my Windows games on my Mac.
Ericrct původně napsal:
Okay, but for now, would it still be recommended for me to get Bootcamp so I may enjoy my Windows games on my Mac.
Get bootcamp. Then go to the store and pick up a copy of windows. I reccomend 8.1 since it is like 5 years newer than 7.
So where exactly would be the most reliable way of getting the necessary material for Bootcamp? Also, approximately, how much will it all cost?
So where exactly would be the most reliable way of getting the necessary material for Bootcamp? Also, approximately, how much will it all cost?

If you're not already sure what stores local to you will sell you a copy of Windows 8, I suggest amazon.com although someone might know of a better deal.

Personally, I actually just use Crossover. You can get it here[www.steamgifts.com] for less than 9 bucks for the next few days. It works on quite a lot of windows games, but not everything.
< >
Zobrazeno 114 z 14 komentářů
Na stránku: 1530 50

Datum zveřejnění: 22. úno. 2014 v 3.46
Počet příspěvků: 14