Arkwrignt Feb 22, 2014 @ 3:46am
Will SteamOS be available for mac?
No one in the Steam for mac is responding.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
aiusepsi Feb 22, 2014 @ 4:06am 
You could probably install SteamOS on a Mac, just like you could install Ubuntu on a Mac. I just don't understand why you would do that.
Kargor Feb 22, 2014 @ 4:15am 
Probably not as a prepackaged installation, but if you can install Linux on a Mac it shouldn't be too difficult to use the same overall walkthrough to get SteamOS onto a Mac.

And while I find it difficult to even imagine why someone would use SteamOS on a box just to save a few bucks, and in turn have limited support for games and a multitude of problems, I find it even more difficult to imagine why anyone would buy an already overpriced Mac to install SteamOS on it...
Last edited by Kargor; Feb 22, 2014 @ 4:17am
AaronionRings Feb 22, 2014 @ 4:42am 
Originally posted by Kargor:
I find it even more difficult to imagine why anyone would buy an already overpriced Mac to install SteamOS on it...

I think it's pretty obvious that the OP will already have a Mac to install Steam OS on and doesn't want to buy a new, separate machine just for Steam OS.
Phalse_Indie Feb 22, 2014 @ 6:08am 
They are separate OSs. You would need to install the Steam OS, like Linux, on a mac's before using it.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 22, 2014 @ 6:25am 
SteamOS can already run on a MAC as there is nothing stopping it from running. Dual Booting with it is just complicated for most ATM, even on a windows PC.

As a MAC uses the same hardware as a "PC" anyways, you should be able to use SteamOS as the only OS on there.
Juggalosithlord Apr 23, 2014 @ 4:26pm 
steamos is just another linux distro no different than ubuntu just that it has steam pre installed
Juggalosithlord Apr 23, 2014 @ 4:27pm 
you could always just install a 3rd pkarty boot loader
TERMINAL 59 Apr 24, 2014 @ 12:25am 
Try a VM
Cyan Cobra Apr 24, 2014 @ 9:13pm 
So does Steam OS allow Mac users to play Steam Windows games on Macs? If not, I'm thinking about getting Bootcamp for my Mac because I have some Windows only games in my Steam library that I cannot play now because, obviously, I have a Mac. Does anyone know if I should get Windows 7 or 8 on Bootcamp? I am hearing mixed reviews, some saying Windows 8 is better because it's newer and faster, while others are saying Windows 7 is better because Windows 8 is like a step backwards or something with a bad interface I am hearing. I don't really know what I should do, but I just really want to enjoy playing my Windows games.
Ericrct Apr 25, 2014 @ 1:58pm 
Originally posted by Cyan Cobra:
So does Steam OS allow Mac users to play Steam Windows games on Macs? If not, I'm thinking about getting Bootcamp for my Mac because I have some Windows only games in my Steam library that I cannot play now because, obviously, I have a Mac. Does anyone know if I should get Windows 7 or 8 on Bootcamp? I am hearing mixed reviews, some saying Windows 8 is better because it's newer and faster, while others are saying Windows 7 is better because Windows 8 is like a step backwards or something with a bad interface I am hearing. I don't really know what I should do, but I just really want to enjoy playing my Windows games.
Steam OS is a linux operating system. Game availability is just the same as Ubuntu, Debian, LM etc. You will actually be taking a step down in terms of game compatibility if you get steam os. I wouldnt reccomend installing it anyway since it is only in the first beta build.
Cyan Cobra Apr 25, 2014 @ 3:10pm 
Originally posted by Ericrct:
Originally posted by Cyan Cobra:
So does Steam OS allow Mac users to play Steam Windows games on Macs? If not, I'm thinking about getting Bootcamp for my Mac because I have some Windows only games in my Steam library that I cannot play now because, obviously, I have a Mac. Does anyone know if I should get Windows 7 or 8 on Bootcamp? I am hearing mixed reviews, some saying Windows 8 is better because it's newer and faster, while others are saying Windows 7 is better because Windows 8 is like a step backwards or something with a bad interface I am hearing. I don't really know what I should do, but I just really want to enjoy playing my Windows games.
Steam OS is a linux operating system. Game availability is just the same as Ubuntu, Debian, LM etc. You will actually be taking a step down in terms of game compatibility if you get steam os. I wouldnt reccomend installing it anyway since it is only in the first beta build.
Okay, but for now, would it still be recommended for me to get Bootcamp so I may enjoy my Windows games on my Mac.
Ericrct Apr 26, 2014 @ 9:35am 
Originally posted by Cyan Cobra:
Originally posted by Ericrct:
Steam OS is a linux operating system. Game availability is just the same as Ubuntu, Debian, LM etc. You will actually be taking a step down in terms of game compatibility if you get steam os. I wouldnt reccomend installing it anyway since it is only in the first beta build.
Okay, but for now, would it still be recommended for me to get Bootcamp so I may enjoy my Windows games on my Mac.
Get bootcamp. Then go to the store and pick up a copy of windows. I reccomend 8.1 since it is like 5 years newer than 7.
Cyan Cobra Apr 26, 2014 @ 11:20am 
So where exactly would be the most reliable way of getting the necessary material for Bootcamp? Also, approximately, how much will it all cost?
Teksura Apr 27, 2014 @ 3:24am 
Originally posted by Cyan Cobra:
So where exactly would be the most reliable way of getting the necessary material for Bootcamp? Also, approximately, how much will it all cost?

If you're not already sure what stores local to you will sell you a copy of Windows 8, I suggest amazon.com although someone might know of a better deal.

Personally, I actually just use Crossover. You can get it here[www.steamgifts.com] for less than 9 bucks for the next few days. It works on quite a lot of windows games, but not everything.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 22, 2014 @ 3:46am
Posts: 14