Ristun Feb 8 @ 8:15am
Games delete all local content?
If I delete a game's local content, will progress still be saved on it?
For example, if I uninstall Half-Life 2 and then reinstall it, will my saved progress still be on it, or will I have to start all over again?
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Pocket Feb 10 @ 12:43pm 
It depends on the game. Valve games like Half-Life 2 store your progress and stuff on Steam Cloud, so they'll be re-synced when you start from a fresh install, unless you've disabled it. Most other games will store their data somewhere in your user folder, so if you uninstall and reinstall immediately on the same machine (though why you would do that I can't imagine), they'll still be there but if you're migrating to another computer, or wiping your computer and reinstalling the OS, you'll have to hunt them down and transfer them manually.
Ristun Feb 10 @ 1:14pm 
Originally posted by Pocket:
It depends on the game. Valve games like Half-Life 2 store your progress and stuff on Steam Cloud, so they'll be re-synced when you start from a fresh install, unless you've disabled it. Most other games will store their data somewhere in your user folder, so if you uninstall and reinstall immediately on the same machine (though why you would do that I can't imagine), they'll still be there but if you're migrating to another computer, or wiping your computer and reinstalling the OS, you'll have to hunt them down and transfer them manually.
OK thanks. I am going to uninstall the Half-Life series temporarily since I need more space for other stuff. I will probably reinstall it soon. This is all still on the same computer.
Ristun Feb 10 @ 1:31pm 
BTW, does that include older games such as Half-Life 1 and Counter Strike 1.6?
Pocket Feb 10 @ 6:19pm 
I believe it does as of the big update last year. I can't vouch for settings and key bindings and such, since I've never changed mine, but save files for single player games do sync.
Ristun Feb 12 @ 10:18am 
Originally posted by Pocket:
I believe it does as of the big update last year. I can't vouch for settings and key bindings and such, since I've never changed mine, but save files for single player games do sync.
Ok thanks
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 8 @ 8:15am