Mr Burnham Jun 3 @ 3:00am
Mac's copy for game owned on Windows
If i own game on Windows Steam, can I download it on Mac machine?

Consider two cases:

1) I deleted copy on Windows and game is DRM free.
2) I want two copies of game for my own use. Game is still DRM free

Addditional three questions:

3) What if the problem refers to LInux? Is it something different?
4) If it is dependent on developer, what is most common solve of this problem, and how it works in different size developers?
5) How it works beside Steam?
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
BOT Ferris Jun 3 @ 5:53am 
Of course you can! That's what Steam's for
Hayden Jun 3 @ 11:24am 
As long as the developer has made a version for Mac, Windows, and Linux available on Steam, your purchase covers all three but you must of purchased them for Steam. They are restricted to your account only obviously.Outside DRM free versions can vary.
Jim Bond Jun 3 @ 12:23pm 
what game are you specifically interested in?
Kargor Jun 4 @ 3:33pm 
Originally posted by HLCinSC:
As long as the developer has made a version for Mac, Windows, and Linux available on Steam, your purchase covers all three

There is at least one game on Steam with a "Mac edition" that needs to be purchased separately. But usually, that's not the case.

There are also games that have Mac versions, but they aren't on Steam. Probably because the Mac version is developed and published by a different company, which makes it difficult to split the revenue, as Steam doesn't know whether a given purchase is "mostly for Windows" or "mostly for Mac".
Hayden Jun 4 @ 3:36pm 
Originally posted by Kargor:
As long as the developer has made a version for Mac, Windows, and Linux available on Steam, your purchase covers all three

There is at least one game on Steam with a "Mac edition" that needs to be purchased separately. But usually, that's not the case.

There are also games that have Mac versions, but they aren't on Steam. Probably because the Mac version is developed and published by a different company, which makes it difficult to split the revenue, as Steam doesn't know whether a given purchase is "mostly for Windows" or "mostly for Mac".

Yea I was saying they have to have a Mac version and it's listed in the system requirements section.
I forgot to mention a few older games will show two versions of your game in the library (one for windows and one for mac), though pretty much all games now are presented as a unified version in Steam.
I haven't heard of any games where you don't get both versions. What game were you referring to?
Caten Jun 5 @ 2:04pm 
If it's available for Mac of course :P
grantoldman Jun 6 @ 11:37am 
I haven't heard of any games where you don't get both versions. What game were you referring to?

Call of Duty: Black Ops is is the only one I know of that has a Mac version but is not Steamplay. It's an issue with the multiplayer component that requires a second purchase.
RalfasLTU *Рефлекс* Jun 7 @ 3:50am 
good
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 3 @ 3:00am