thecritz Sep 13, 2015 @ 6:13pm
mic in headset not working
I've been using a headset with a 4-contact motorola connector (the headphones that come with an iPhone, for example), and the microphone on the headset no longer seems to be working with Steam. I've tested the mic in System Preferences, and I've tested Steam's response to my computer's built-in microphone, and both seem to be working well independently of each other. But, when I tell Steam to use the "built-in input" (meaning, the "line in" from the combi-jack), it recognizes that sound SHOULD be coming through the mic, but it doesn't actually respond to the headset's microphone.

I should also add that this is new. Prior to 21:00 UTC yesterday, I didn't have this problem. Fishing through the forums, I found similar issues that other people were having with similar headsets, but the solutions presented were all basically "make sure the computer knows it has a mic" and "make sure Steam is using the right input device." I've done that. Is there something I'm missing?
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Bruder Eufelius Sep 14, 2015 @ 12:00pm 
Buy it new
thecritz Sep 16, 2015 @ 11:54am 
Ok, update:

After doing some more thorough troubleshooting, I've discovered that Steam's setting for "built-in microphone" actually refers to the headset's microphone and not the computer's built-in mic. That raises the question of what "built-in input" refers to, both since it doesn't seem to correspond to my computer's mic, and since it was what my setting was set to prior to 12 September. Maybe it's a bug specific to my client, but...whatever. My headset mic is working on Steam, which is good enough.
Giuseppe Busso Sep 16, 2015 @ 12:40pm 
Buy it new
Maximus Invictus Sep 16, 2015 @ 12:43pm 
try a razor, i use it to for mac and its working very good ;)
thecritz Sep 16, 2015 @ 1:06pm 
Originally posted by Maximus Semper Vincit:
try a razor, i use it to for mac and its working very good ;)

I use JVC Marshmallows because their speaker impedence is decent and frequency response on the low end (<20Hz. As a bassist, this is important to me) is better than pretty most other headphones on the market, including ones with 10x the cost. Plus, since they're pretty much earplugs with speakers in them, I get pretty good passive noise reduction, too. All for around $20.

But, choice in headsets isn't the crux of my issue. I have five different headsets that have that 4-contact Motorola connector, and all of them came up with the same problem within Steam. It's software, not hardware.

And, in any event, I've resolved the issue well enough (I think) on my own.
Last edited by thecritz; Sep 16, 2015 @ 1:08pm
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Sep 13, 2015 @ 6:13pm