TheBigEA Jul 22 @ 7:27am
Unfair for Mac Users
Its so dumb how only bad games are on the mac. Why cant steam games be for all platforms. If you want to make ur money selling games on this website, you have to make the games for everyone not just curtain users/players. I have a mac, for example, I want to play the free to play game Unturned but I cant because its only for Windows. Why cant all games be computer friendly and not just for one person to play. Like Dayz, why cant I play that. You think Mac is dumb for this game? So Steam is saying I cant play a game because I am different? They have no right to tell me I cant play a game because I'm on a different platform. Please fix this Issue STEAM.
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
< >
Ash258™ Jul 22 @ 7:30am 
It's not about Valve/Steam.
This depend only on Developers on which platform they can make their game.
Last edited by Ash258™; Jul 22 @ 7:30am
OverlordTomala Jul 22 @ 7:31am 
They're working on it. There are more Mac/Linux games on steam now than there were a year or two ago. Give it time and it'll increase. :)
eram Jul 22 @ 7:34am 
VALVe is offering any dev help to get their games up and running on steamOs. This includes mac games.
Spawn of Totoro Jul 22 @ 7:35am 
As has been said, it is up to the developer/publisher as to what platform they wish to make their game compatible on. I suggest asking the developer/publisher of the game(s) you would like to see available for a mac, to make a mac version.

As for DayZ an Unturned, it could be due to the game being in early access at the moment. They may make a mac version after the PC version has been released. It would make it twice as hard to develop if doing so for two platforms at one time.
Ash258™ Jul 22 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by eram:
VALVe is offering any dev help to get their games up and running on steamOs. This includes mac games.
It's good to know this and it's very great for developers and gamers :)
Satoru Jul 22 @ 7:41am 
Steam sells games developers make

If a particular game does not have a Mac version the DEVELOPER is the reason

You don't blame BestBuy becaues Unturned doesn't have a Mac version
Torogi Boy Jul 22 @ 7:41am 
Ask the game developers to port a game to MAC, it's up to them not Valve.
Kargor Jul 22 @ 7:43am 
Originally posted by TheBigEA:
Its so dumb how only bad games are on the mac. Why cant steam games be for all platforms. If you want to make ur money selling games on this website, you have to make the games for everyone not just curtain users/players.

Well, making a port is expensive. You can't just look at a handful of Mac owners who would buy the game -- an expensive port has to be done first, and most Mac owners use Windows to play games so they don't actually count even if they would download the Mac version.

A port is only worth it if generates an appropriately large number of sales that would not have happened without the port.

Now, using certain engines that have Mac versions can help reduce the porting costs significantly, but they are still there. But, again, not every game is using one of these.
Last edited by Kargor; Jul 22 @ 7:45am
ReBoot Jul 22 @ 8:17am 
Install Windows, it costs about 40$ and boot camp works well.
TheBigEA Jul 22 @ 8:44am 
Originally posted by ReBoot:
Install Windows, it costs about 40$ and boot camp works well.
How do i download windows completely on a Mac for the lowest cost that also runs steam pretty well?
ReBoot Jul 22 @ 9:17am 
Just look for a cheap Windows license. There are different stores. You can get one directly from Microsoft, but it might be more expensive than someplace else. Or check out Amazon.
Hayden Jul 22 @ 10:40am 
Nothing can be done to get developers to make a Mac version. If you can convince a developer that Mac sales of their game will justify their development costs and generate a profit you may have a chance. Also, it will have to be a profit that is expected to be higher than whatever they are currently working on or the profit must exceed the added labor costs if they hire additional employees instead of the main team working on it (or if existing teams don't have much experience with Mac development/conversion).

Macs make up a small percent of the PC market and an even smaller percent of gaming PC's so if that were to increase then so would the number of Mac titles most likely. Having a Mac is like having a WiiU (minus the 1st party Nintendo titles). It makes up very little of the market and has a completely different architecture than the other consoles making a conversion more costly and less profitable. Some companies will still make ports for it, but for others it is not worth the time and effort. Developers cannot and will not be forced to put out a version of their game for all platforms.

Using your Unturned example, you have every right to play it. It is not the developer's fault that the machine you purchased cannot run coding in order to play it. You don't see people buying Titanfall to play in their PS4. No one in their right mind would expect the disc to be read and played by the PS4 .
Kargor Jul 22 @ 11:05am 
Considering there are dumb Mac users (I'm tempted to say anyone buying a Mac... but I won't), Steam SHOULD consider being a bit more explicit. Starting with defaulting to showing big warning banners if you're looking at a game that your current system (as per Steam client or the Browser user agent) can't run. Maybe offer settings for the account to select the platforms that you have. MAYBE even offer a setting to filter the shop, and have that setting default to active.
ReBoot Jul 22 @ 11:11am 
Are there really Mac users out there who haven't received the memo that MacOS is still a niche system?
Mozart Jul 22 @ 11:18am 
You know game industry is not charity. If it is profitable to allocate resources for OS X port, than you are likely to see one.

Install windows via bootcamp utility, there are millions instructions how to do that, just google it.
Showing 1-15 of 48 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 22 @ 7:27am