OS X Mavericks: "The in-game steam overlay requires access...."
The latest Steam client update for mac OSX is getting really annoying. I never had this problem before last night. But nowadays when I first open steam, i get two popup windows, the first says "do you want the application 'steam.app' to accept incoming network connections?"; there seems to be no way I can prevent that annoying popup from showing up. The second popup window opens whenever I try to run any steam game upon first opening my steam client. This popup window says, "The in-game steam overlay requires access...." but whenever i check my security and privacy preferences, I have already enabled Steam. So why now am i getting all these popup windows? And why are they always persisting whenever i first open my steam client? Is there a chance that this could be a malware of some sort (G-d forbid)? Somepony please help. Muchas gracias

Just FYI, here are the specs of my mac:
macBook Pro 13" early 2011 edition, 320GB HDD (100GB available space at present)
OSX 10.9.4 Mavericks
Showing 1-15 of 49 comments
< >
Glittering Jew Cat Jul 24 @ 9:15pm 
Same, I have this problem and I really don't understand WTF is going on?
Last edited by Glittering Jew Cat; Jul 24 @ 9:15pm
Caramba! So I am not alone.... anypony out there having the same issue? Surely by now Valve should know about this and do something to fix this a.s.a.p.? :O
moidah Jul 25 @ 4:23am 
something like this has happened before, if you ask how to fix it people online will say go into settings and enable it. that dosent work, its all from the steam update and we have to be patient and wait for them to fix it.

@{cN} Murder.exe: I am aware that this has happened before, but in my settings Steam has been enabled and always has been, indeed before i updated to Mavericks i had already allowed it access, even after Mavericks I still do, there is a tick in the box under the accessibility settings in system preferences. If you like, I can send you a screenshot, just let me know.

Is anypony else facing the same problem as me and @ Glittering Jew Cat?
this crap keeps doing this, and now it quits randomly omfgf
@Noire_: Same here, especially for my Amnesia: The Dark Descent game. It intermittently "quits unexpectedly" as and when it likes. Other games seem all right -- so far.

The problem of the "in-game steam overlay" thing occurs ONLY when starting up steam and then one of the Steam games from the client. After that it does not recur again until I close the Steam client app and then reopen it again and then any Steam game from within.

Just a bit concerned, but could there be any chance that this could be a malware of some sort? I mean, considering that Valve seems to be not taking any immediate follow-up action (their "Steam client updates" are usually faster than we expect, but not this time apparently)....
in my honest opinion, steam screwed up big time here, ive been playing on steam since 5 years or so, and i have never encountered anything like this.
It has been going on for 2 days now, cant open steam overlay tab, when i play CS:GO or Dota2 it randomly quits on me, steam marketplace or any community tab or my profile doesnt even open, it just shows a black screen.
This started happening after the update 2 days ago , so its obviously because of that.
THEY HAVE TO FIX THIS. I have never felt more annoyed on a rainy summer day just trying to chill and pass my time with games on an afternoon, but oh no i can't because steam decided to make the next update drunken for MAC users. Not trying to diss or anything, i grew up with steam, and i love it, but sometimes they screw some stuff up :(

I fully agree with you. They had better fix this quickly before a mass hysteria occurs. Is there any way of reporting this to them?
nicky Jul 25 @ 5:36am 
i'm seeing this issue as well, hoping a fix comes soon
[FLF]:Dflufflsaurus Jul 25 @ 7:39am 
so is there gonna be a solution for this problem?
I don't have a damn solution and you people are speaking to me as if I knew the solution. if I knew the solution, why did I start this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ thread?
[FLF]:Dflufflsaurus Jul 25 @ 7:48am 
man im just asking out other people ok
Oh ok. sorry for the miscomm.

Anyways, to add on to the trouble. THE SHIFT+TAB IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!! This problem has also affect pressing "Shift+Tab" in the game from what I've seen..... and lots of other things are not available such as trading, etc..... this is really ♥♥♥♥ING US ALL OFF!!!! Somepony actually has made a thread on this:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/2/666825525170222808/

but up till now i do not see any solutions there or anywhere else on the internet! Valve had better do something about this before someone sues them!
[FLF]:Dflufflsaurus Jul 25 @ 7:56am 
yea ikr ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
[FLF]:Dflufflsaurus Jul 25 @ 7:56am 
wait how did i do the hearts?
Showing 1-15 of 49 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 24 @ 7:20pm