Raxacoricofallapatorius Jun 11, 2013 @ 8:27pm
[TUT] Valve Batch Compiler Tool (VBCT) Running on Steampipe
This is a useful advanced compile tool. It doesn't freeze up on me unlike the one Hammer uses when I touch anything on my computer, however it broked. This is how I fixed it. (TF2 will be an example) I am not a pro, I just watched vbct ♥♥♥♥♥ at me untill I got it fixed. you should be able to do this with the other Steampipe games as well

1. First you startup the Source SDK -The old way

2. Next you set to TF2 and press the Edit Game Gonfig button and edit the TF2 address to c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

3. Next you need to open hammer with TF2 enabled and go to tools-options and change the Game Executable Directory field to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2 and the Game Directory to c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf.

4. Next you need to open the Build Programs tab and add from top to bottom:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps --this last one should lead to a maps directory in your custom folder instead but vbct acted up saying it couldn't find the GameInfo.txt for some reason, so you will have to move your map into place later in order to run it. Steampipe games need to load custom maps from \tf\custom\*folder*\maps\

5. Now launch VBCT, load your .vmf and it should compile, don't try running the game from the launcher, it won't work. (So far working untill VRAD for me atm, I will continue to update my progress)

Edit:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compile Summary - job mode: FINAL
Map Name: cp_storm_drain_b7.vmf
VBSP - mode:normal , 16 seconds, 00:00:18 elapsed
VVIS - mode:normal, 18 minutes, 14 seconds, 00:18:16 elapsed
VRAD - mode:final, 14 minutes, 53 seconds(LDR), 17 minutes, 12 seconds(HDR), 00:32:06 elapsed
Total Compile time: 00:50:41

File copied: C:\Users\Owner\Documents\HAMMER\cp_storm_drain_b7.bsp to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\cp_storm_drain_b7.bsp

Time to test this map!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: My map works correctly after compiling!
Last edited by Raxacoricofallapatorius; Jun 12, 2013 @ 5:37am
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Wazanator Jun 11, 2013 @ 8:37pm 
Thanks this helped me a lot!
Raxacoricofallapatorius Jun 11, 2013 @ 8:49pm 
Your welcome! Also since VPK files are supported PackRat is now obsolete so I wont worry about that.
43eyes Jun 22, 2013 @ 9:45pm 
VBCT Can't find my custom textures even with this fix. They turn out fullbright.
Raxacoricofallapatorius Jun 23, 2013 @ 6:16am 
I've never done this with custom textures before. Are they in your \custom\ folder?

Originally posted by /S-S-G\ 43eyes:
VBCT Can't find my custom textures even with this fix. They turn out fullbright.
Pocket Jul 8, 2013 @ 10:48pm 
~☻~FacelessMind~☺~ Jul 9, 2013 @ 1:31am 
the problem is that sourcesdk will disappears
why not use hammer from the common/game/bin dir ?
Last edited by ~☻~FacelessMind~☺~; Jul 9, 2013 @ 1:32am
Raxacoricofallapatorius Jul 9, 2013 @ 7:43am 
This was before the new SDK update, so this is likely outdated.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50