[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 9 @ 1:35pm
Connection to Steam servers lost....
Hi all,

Sorry for posting this in both the new and old forums, but seems there's some activity in both. Anyways, ever since the last update, I'm having some trouble with my Linux tf2 mvm servers. I can start up and run one server with no problems. The moment I start a second one, both get this error:

Connection to Steam servers lost. (Result = 3)

And then you get the usual problem of connecting but not having any of your items. I've done some searching, but have not found anything useful yet.

Anyone seen this before or have ideas?
Last edited by [AoL]LuckyJ; Feb 9 @ 1:47pm
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
BlackFire Feb 10 @ 3:23am 
I've exactly the same problem with my TF2 (Linux) Servers. Plus the VAC Protection automatically turns off after a few hours - do you experience this issue too?
[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 10 @ 6:51am 
With just one server running, everything is fine. With more than one, yes, it seems most of them lose VAC.

I also tried fresh installations with no plugins, and even registered for new ids (cl_gameserver_create_identity). Didn't help. I also checked my firewall and I am not seeing any inbound denies.

This is frustrating....I'm normally running 20 mvm servers that fill up on the evenings and weekends...now I can only run one.
[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 10 @ 7:11am 
I also don't ever remember seeing this at the end of server startup:

For more information about gameserver accounts, visit 1390611275.

Not sure how I visit that number.....? (tried various IP addresses that it could represent)
BlackFire Feb 10 @ 7:26am 
I wrote a support ticket to the steam support- obviously there are a lot of people who experience this issue. I'll post the result.
[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 10 @ 8:25am 
Thanks. I also submitted an issue in github (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/1653), though it's not showing up on the main issue list yet for some reason. Will write back if I hear anything.
BlackFire Feb 11 @ 12:43pm 
Lolz it took them 3 days to tell me they don't offer support for dedicated server via support tickets <<I should request help in the forums (y)
[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 11 @ 12:53pm 
Haha. Well...thanks for posting back here. I'm still stuck.
[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 11 @ 1:38pm 
Got it working! Here's what I just did...

I installed a band new VM with fresh installs of the TF2 server. That didn't help.

Then, I tried running two instances, each in a separate VM. They worked! (hmm, suspicious)

While I was working on that, I noticed this log entry:
No account token specified; logging into anonymous game server account. (Use sv_setsteamaccount to login to a persistent account.)

So I did more research on sv_setsteamaccount and came across this:
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=234901
which mentions this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3222737

Anyways, I added -steamport <portnumber> to each server's startup script. In each script, I assigned <portnumber> a unique unused port. After that, all servers seem to be working on one VM again! Yay.

Hope that helps you too, BlackFire.
BlackFire Feb 11 @ 1:47pm 
Well, thank you I'll try that. Which ports did you use? Are ports like 1234 working?
[AoL]LuckyJ Feb 11 @ 2:07pm 
I went with 33015-33034 for my 20 servers.
BlackFire Feb 12 @ 7:47am 
17 hours passed - servers still online with VAC. Looks like it worked! I will inform further.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50