BadKarMa Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:05pm
SteamCMD and cached credentials
I've installed SteamCMD and it ran fine some time ago. However when I start it now and try to login, it says:

Logging in user 'xy' to Steam Public...Using cached credentials...
Login Failure: Invalid Password
Failed.

I haven't changed my PW, so that's odd, but that is not why I'm posting here: It ALLWAYS uses "cached credentials" and I don't know how I can login now by entering my PW.

Is there any way to delete the cached credentials or to tell SteamCMD not to use them?
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
BadKarMa Jul 18, 2013 @ 4:42pm 
Nevermind - I figured it out myself. You can actually login via
login <username> <password>
Wheman Jul 20, 2013 @ 9:24pm 
Was looking for this info, thanks!
Petro Apr 18 @ 12:00pm 
^^ same here :D thx for info
Nightscout Jul 5 @ 8:26pm 
As was I. Thank you my friend.
PORTGAS D. ACE Jul 5 @ 9:20pm 
thanks man
Knappy Jul 6 @ 8:24am 
Just a tip on the first login:
login username
CMD> password: typeyourpass

You will get a SteamGuard on the first attempt, verify the code and after that you only need to use
login username
without a password

See this
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 6 @ 8:25am
Shinigami Cry Jul 20 @ 11:22pm 
Originally posted by BadKarMa:
Nevermind - I figured it out myself. You can actually login via
login <username> <password>
Thx dude
Knappy Jul 21 @ 9:42am 
Originally posted by Shinigami Cry:
Originally posted by BadKarMa:
Nevermind - I figured it out myself. You can actually login via
login <username> <password>
Thx dude
This will work, however in my experience in dealing with VPS SRCDS's (when logging in the first time via SteamCMD I end up having to enter my account password after verifying with the SteamGuard code. Not a major deal, just FYI.. All OS's are different so I can only speak for Winwoes 7 or Server.

Also, if you are downloading only server content, then you can login anonymously. If you are attempting to download game content, then you would need an account login to validate that you indeed own the game.

Contagion is the only game that I am aware of (currently) that uses the same APPID for both their game and server as the game includes both client and server content. Thus you would need to login with an account that actually owns Contagion.

Edit: Also note that SteamCMD will cache your credentials for the machine you log in on. Should you change IP or attempt to login from another location/computer, it may ask for a SteamGuard code.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 21 @ 9:44am
BadKarMa Jul 21 @ 2:54pm 
@all
Nice to hear that I could help so many here! This encourages me to allways post the solution if I figure it out myself.

@Knappy
Originally posted by Knappy:
(...) Also note that SteamCMD will cache your credentials for the machine you log in on. Should you change IP or attempt to login from another location/computer, it may ask for a SteamGuard code.
Thanks for your input, but SteamCMD sometimes seems to mess up these cached credentials and that is what this thread is actually about. If you then try to log in via "login <username>", it behaves as mentioned in my very first post and doesn't let you enter any password. It just says "Invalid Password" and denies your login. If you don't know you can login via "login <username> <password>", then you can't reset the invalid cached credentials and are forced to reinstall.
Also there are some games that require a non-anonymous account that doesn't necessarily have to own the game to run its dedicated server. If I remember correctly Killing Floor is one of them. I don't know why, though.

Knappy Jul 21 @ 3:29pm 
Originally posted by BadKarMa:
@all
SNIPPED
@Knappy
Thanks for your input, but SteamCMD sometimes seems to mess up these cached credentials and that is what this thread is actually about. If you then try to log in via "login <username>", it behaves as mentioned in my very first post and doesn't let you enter any password. It just says "Invalid Password" and denies your login...
I had the same issue, would end the SteamCMD process and "login username" and wait for either the Password of SteamGuard prompt. A minor oversight but also a minor workaround.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50