WINDOWS VS MAC
Why are the windows and mac gaming worlds so seperated?
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Knappy Aug 14, 2014 @ 10:02pm 
Mainly because of the versatility between the two. Mac offers stability in regards to hard processing (audio/video) while they lack the processing toward gaming.

Winwoes is the exact opposite of Mac, lacking in versatility and stability with just about everything unless you have the most up-to-date rig which will inevitably be obsolete within six months.

Windows user for gaming, Mac for Composing/VST/Audio
that is very true because i feel that Pc's are more suited for games and my cousin only goes on his mac to surf the net and compose (mini songs)
Knappy Aug 15, 2014 @ 5:36pm 
Cost plays a major factor in computers. For example for $3000 (USD) MacPro a user could build their own custom PC that would blow the Mac out of the water processing/power wise. However the PC user will more than likely suffer the inevitable BSOD's with Winwoes. I work in IT and had a (weathly lawyer) client come in who wanted his files from a "fried" computer since they (laywers) need to keep their files for records.

Geek Squad quoted a $448 assessment for a "fried motherboard". Luckily he had some epic protection plan with his AE card which allowed him to buy a new (and better) computer for the quoted cost and he didn't lose a penny. I was able to rip the files off the Hard Drive. What was wrong? The BIOS needed to be flashed/updated because the CPU Fan was not being regulated and the temp SafeGuard was forcing her to shut down at 170F.

They say the first rule in IT is don't offer free service. Well I have compassion when it comes to those who are Tech-illiterate and I told him what the problem was and had his files on a Flash Drive, already used a DoD approved purge tool and reinstalled 8.1 and asked him what he wanted to do with it. His reply: "You can make it a paperweight for all I care" o.o

SOLD $500 computer for about two hours of pushing buttons and watching Win 8 install, fail updates, and update just to fail yet again and revert.
Last edited by Knappy; Aug 15, 2014 @ 5:37pm
Blaquicat Aug 15, 2014 @ 7:07pm 
Its because of the DirectX provinced under Microsoft OS (Windows)
Most of the games is developed under DirectX domain (Direct3d, opengl, etc)
Most VGA are also manufactured to run better on DirectX games.

On linux and mac, you have to emulate that, or at least emulate the linux version of the "directx" or whatever is software drivers to deal with opengl/d3d/etc
Last edited by Blaquicat; Aug 15, 2014 @ 7:08pm
Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. are all tools designed to to the same thing: enable you, the user, to do whatever it is you want to do. One can argue about different design choices, aesthetics and philosophies.
You could ask car enthusiasts the same thing: Why do people drive Porsche or Ferrari if the much cheaper Ford Fiesta works just as well. :)
Nowadays, a Mac is just a PC with a different operating system and parts picked (and the selection artificially limited) for maximum compatibility. And a hefty brand markup. ;)

Originally posted by Blaquicat:
Most of the games is developed under DirectX domain (Direct3d, opengl, etc)
Most VGA are also manufactured to run better on DirectX games.

On linux and mac, you have to emulate that, or at least emulate the linux version of the "directx" or whatever is software drivers to deal with opengl/d3d/etc
Just a little clarification:
Direct3D, OpenGL, AMD Mantle, etc. are APIs to draw polygons to the screen.

Windows provides support for Direct3D (as part of DirectX) and OpenGL. Vendors can add drivers to improve existing Direct3D or OpenGL support (and performance) or to provide other APIs like AMD's Mantle.

On Mac and Linux the vendor VGA drivers provide the OpenGL API.
Linux also has community driven open-source drivers which are usually slower but do the job perfectly fine if all you do is office work. :)

One might notice that OpenGL is available on all three platforms, yet Direct3D is the most prominent. It's the same deal, two tools for the same job. Some prefer OpenGL, some Direct3D. Windows had the bigger market share for longer, ergo their DirectX platform had more publicity.
In this day and age, there is no reason not to support Windows, Mac and Linux at the same time. Valve themselves are the driving force behind this multi-platform rush.
Last edited by Bloody 🐾 (still sick ;w;); Aug 19, 2014 @ 5:55am
Blaquicat Aug 19, 2014 @ 12:41pm 
Originally posted by mov eax, 80h:
Just a little clarification:
Direct3D, OpenGL, AMD Mantle, etc. are APIs to draw polygons to the screen.

Windows provides support for Direct3D (as part of DirectX) and OpenGL. Vendors can add drivers to improve existing Direct3D or OpenGL support (and performance) or to provide other APIs like AMD's Mantle.

On Mac and Linux the vendor VGA drivers provide the OpenGL API.
Linux also has community driven open-source drivers which are usually slower but do the job perfectly fine if all you do is office work. :)

One might notice that OpenGL is available on all three platforms, yet Direct3D is the most prominent. It's the same deal, two tools for the same job. Some prefer OpenGL, some Direct3D. Windows had the bigger market share for longer, ergo their DirectX platform had more publicity.
In this day and age, there is no reason not to support Windows, Mac and Linux at the same time. Valve themselves are the driving force behind this multi-platform rush.
Its not the same API, games that uses those api, has to be developed under very different plattaforms..
Besides that you still have the Executable problem.. (unix/linux)
Besides that you know who has $$ to invest right? M$

Today its impossible to make a game that works on both plataforms, (the same game, files, everything)
Last edited by Blaquicat; Aug 19, 2014 @ 12:42pm
Originally posted by Blaquicat:
Its not the same API, games that uses those api, has to be developed under very different plattaforms..
Besides that you still have the Executable problem.. (unix/linux)
Besides that you know who has $$ to invest right? M$

Today its impossible to make a game that works on both plataforms, (the same game, files, everything)

I apologize, that's not what I meant. OpenGL and DirectX are very different indeed. :)
However, you could write an abstraction layer on top of OGL/D3D. I used the Irrlicht engine in the past, which has a pluggable renderer system to swap between different versions of Direct3D and OpenGL, and I know that the Unigine engine (Heaven benchmark) works with DirectX 9/11 and OpenGL 4.0. So it is possible to make a game work on multiple platforms. :)

Please elaborate on the 'executable problem', I'm not familiar with that.
Blaquicat Aug 19, 2014 @ 1:50pm 
Besides the "graphics" the game engine is designed to work on windows, some games access several libaries that is from windows (microsoft).

I know my english is very bad, sorry about that, but i will try to quote some of java history, maybe you get my point.
In the beggining of the java development, who made the Virtual machines are the OS owners, microsoft make an java virtual machine (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean12/en), and others OS also developed an VM in order to run java..
But those different version os JVM have an direct impact in how the softwares are developed, technically you can run the same code on any JVM, but in practice it was not so.
This roll was solved well after, when the sun starting to develop all OS JVM.

Maybe is what we need, someone that works on both sides, (or all sides) to develop an game API that can run on any OS.

Last edited by Blaquicat; Aug 19, 2014 @ 1:51pm
Oh yes, I remember the MS Java VM.. :D
But that's an interesting idea, just one API for all graphics cards supported on most platforms.
Do you know the SDL library? It's a little like that: multi-platform API access to 2D/3D graphics, sound and networking.
I use it a lot, mostly just on Windows but also on Playstation 2 and PSP. :D
Blaquicat Aug 20, 2014 @ 3:57am 
Im reading about it now..
Looks really nice..
Its something like it we need =/
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 14, 2014 @ 9:38pm