Envy Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:08am
Server "Donating" on Source Games
Am I the only one sick of these servers making money off of Valve? Like, the servers who blatantly sell admin privileges and even have Pay2Win options. Why hasn't Valve stepped in and done something about it? Honestly, how is this crap allowed to continue?
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
☎ ColdSun Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:12am 
Honestly, if you don't like these specific servers, blacklist them and continue on. These servers are being provided for free, and heaven forbid they try and cover the costs to keep the servers running or even to expand their gaming network.

Lets also not forget that a lot of players may like the optional perks from donating. Source games have remained relevant long after their releases due to their open nature and mod-ability. Why would you want to hinder that?
Tito Shivan Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:21am 
Servers have bills to be paid.
It's their liberty to choose how bills get paid.
It's your liberty to choose not to play there.

Personally, P2W servers go directly to the blacklist.
L-r | Canti Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:33am 
I don't think it's unreasonable for server hosts to want to cover their costs. But if I see a Heavy running at Scout speed, or someone deploying 4 sentries at once, I just change to a different server.
Envy Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:33am 
It's fine if they merely want to cover the cost of the server, but I have heard many stories of people actually making a profit from selling admin postions. Not only that, but doing so reduces the quality of the servers as any little twerp with his mom's credit card can become an admin. It's also funny since many of these servers seem to forget what the word "donation" means:

do·nate
verb \ˈdō-ˌnāt, dō-ˈ\
transitive verb

1: to make a gift of; especially : to contribute to a public or charitable cause

Keyword there is gift. Donating is meant as a charitable act where one gives something to someone without expecting something in return. Giving money expecting admin powers or Pay2Win perks in return is not charitable. As such, if I were Valve, I'd institue a rule stating that all donations have to be charitable in nature, and donating can not get you anything in return.
L-r | Canti Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:34am 
They call it donating because it would be illegal to claim to be selling something. In the same way that my local video game store would give imported games to people who "donated" a certain amount of money.
Knife Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:40am 
Its like buying Cookies from the scouts.
You're donating, but they just give you something in return.

And trust me, not many people make profit from the server.
Servers are incredibly expensive to rent (I own a minecraft server). Usually we barely scrape enough donations to cover the cost.
Only massive servers make money from donating.

And Valve have no say in the matter. They have no control of the servers.
Envy Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:48am 
Originally posted by cydp3:

Like hell they don't. People are actively using their product and coducting busniess transactions on their game. They have all the control in the world.
Knife Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:52am 
Originally posted by LMG Paladin:

Like hell they don't. People are actively using their product and coducting busniess transactions on their game. They have all the control in the world.

Its not a business transaction. Its a donation.
A donation is giving someone a gift. If that person chooses to give you a gift back, well that's their decision.

Valve have very little control. They can say "You are not allowed ask for donations on any server running Source software", but how would they enforce it?
And anyway, then most servers would shut down, people stop buying the games and Valve lose money. Its within their best interest to allow donations.
Valve have no control over someone else's server. What someone does on their own server is their decision and Valve cannot realistically influence that.
SyPTo Jul 11, 2013 @ 3:19am 

Valve have very little control. They can say "You are not allowed ask for donations on any server running Source software", but how would they enforce it?
And anyway, then most servers would shut down, people stop buying the games and Valve lose money. Its within their best interest to allow donations.
Valve have no control over someone else's server. What someone does on their own server is their decision and Valve cannot realistically influence that.

i agree ,personally i just stay away from P2W servers , but thats just me...
Lostedge Jul 11, 2013 @ 4:14am 
They pay for the servers = They can do whatever they want with them
[TGW] GossamerSolid Jul 11, 2013 @ 5:32am 
Servers are expensive. We usually just break even. If we have extra, it doesn't go to our pockets, it sits in the paypal account for the server in case we have low donations another month. In the past when we had a lot extra coming in, we'd do monthly giveaways (games on steam).

We never gave advantages out for donations. Most we did for our TF2 server was:

- Reserve Slot
- Ability to initiate map vote
- Invulnerability during end of match time (In payload after the bomb goes off)
- Donator icon above player during end of match time (in payload after bomb goes off)

So none of those are game changes, just a little "thank you" for donating.
Envy Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:07am 
Originally posted by LMG Paladin:

Its not a business transaction. Its a donation.
A donation is giving someone a gift. If that person chooses to give you a gift back, well that's their decision.

I never said Valve should not allow donations at all, merely stop the ones selling stuff. Purely selfless donations are perfectly fine, but the ones that get you something in return are not. And the ones that get you admin privilages are the worst. Also, stop acting like it isn't a business transaction. You're giving them money and their giving you something in return. That's like the basic defination of trade and commerce.

Also, I understand that there are some good servers out there; Ones that do not give you any advantages or admin privilages. My problem is with the ones that do, and they're the ones I would love to see Valve and other companies like Valve do something about.
Purple Tentacle Jul 11, 2013 @ 7:22am 
obviously as you pointed out if there giving you something for it its a normal transaction, just because you name it something else doesn't make it as such. and obviously is valve wanted to stop it they could. but my question is why would they bother ?

theres so few of them out there its not an issue, disconect and go somewhere else, it takes less than a minute
Envy Jul 11, 2013 @ 10:31am 
Originally posted by Purple Tentacle:
obviously as you pointed out if there giving you something for it its a normal transaction, just because you name it something else doesn't make it as such. and obviously is valve wanted to stop it they could. but my question is why would they bother ?

theres so few of them out there its not an issue, disconect and go somewhere else, it takes less than a minute

Really? There's so few? Because while searching around for a good RP server in Gmod I found about 5 out of the 10 or so I connected to were selling admin priviliages for about $25 a pop.
Allah_Babah Jul 11, 2013 @ 11:21am 
Yea I hate donating too. I think all servers with donate must be closed.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 11, 2013 @ 2:08am