Queen of Blades ✄♞✄❤ Jun 12, 2013 @ 7:08pm
Steam achievements are pointless
I know it is a little bit old fashioned to say so. But I never understand why steam achievements still exists while I found it is absolutely meaningless to us. Literally apart from marking you the game stage you were and how well you've done with your games.

But the question is, can it be something better than this?

When we tried hard to unlock as many achievements as posssible in a game, I don't think it is just for fun. Valve, why not making achievements more valuable in the circumstance of being challenged? For example, when we unlock 75% achieventments of a game, you get up to 40% off price of the games under the same title or even the same publisher.

Or, nexst time you purchase the same game as a gift you get 50% off or so? And now I would say I found motivations trying to unlock all the achievements.

The fact is: there are so many games in my library that the achievements just like trashes stuck there because I have no motivations to get them unlocked unless in general they would help me gain a decent reward as a part of the achievements challenge packs.

I don't know how hard for Valve to do so, but at very least, do some points for the achievemts and get us some interesting stuff just like uplay has done years ago, I think everyone will appreciate, and it help make steam a better world.

You know, sounds good, so why not?

Scar xx
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
< >
krashd Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:11pm 
I think there's already great motivation, I've played through Half-Life 2 about 6 times, 4 because I enjoyed the game and the last 2 because I wanted to mop up any remaining achievements.

I shouldn't say this but achievements are probably bad for the industry because whereas I can spend 40 quid on a new game I have just as much fun hitting up an old game to see what new achievements I can find. The Batman games are insane for achievement replayability.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Futbol Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:14pm 
Don't like it? Just ignore it.
Foppert Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:16pm 
Originally posted by The Rolling Ghost Cheese:
Don't like it? Just ignore it.
yup
Mivo Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:21pm 
As for the game achievements, basing any rewards on them won't work because there is no standard for them. Some games have five, some twenty, some eighty, and several close to or above 400. They are just for fun and as personal mini goals. In some cases it indicates how hardcore someone has played a game.

As for the Steam badges, those are also mostly for fun, though apparently the new booster packs (card drops) will be influenced by the Steam level, and the level is influenced by the number of badges someone has. Those do give you discount coupons (finishing a card set, that is).

But it's all optional. If it's not fun for you, skip it.
Gus the Crocodile Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:45pm 
Originally posted by Scarlet Cloude:
I know it is a little bit old fashioned to say so. But I never understand why steam achievements still exists while I found it is absolutely meaningless to us.
It's actually the opposite of old fashioned. Games have always been "pointless". Same as books, movies, music, anything else that people entertain themselves with. You don't "get" anything for playing/watching/listening to them. And yet...people do all these things anyway. Why do you think that is? It's because they aren't pointless - you just have a really narrow definition of a "point".

Enjoyment is the point. As has been said, if you aren't enjoying getting particular achievements...then don't do it. Exactly the same as anyone would say to you if you complained that looking at a particular painting was pointless or reading a novel was pointless.
Queen of Blades ✄♞✄❤ Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:43am 
I really hate the fact that people did not finish what I had wrote and starting posting unpleasant comments.

I never try to convince anyone who love steam achievements to death to hate it, not at all. If you like them a lot, go back to your place, stop posting here because this post is not for you.

I said I did not like "steam achievements", and I post this is not for a complaining, complaining does not change anything. I do so to find someone has the similiar thoughts with me.

And comparing the real life to a game is not a good idea either, specially an unappreciate sample.

I say 1 point, watching a drama movie you centainly have learnt some meaningful truth for life unless you were not paying your attention while watching. But spending x minutes shooting Y numbers of creep and won a title of a small picture would no more than a waste of time, If you call it "having fun", go ahead and that is your way, but not for me, and never it would be.

I too ingored steam achievements and wish I could remove them forever from my game contents, or give it away to someone above who said would be great to earn it twice. Never want to see these tidious thing jammed every game I have brought.

And I play games for fun with no pressure and goals, just follow the storyline and play it my way, and that's the fun I have enjoyed so far. By the way, I don't need someone to tell me in the very beginning that here "are" some suggested way to play it and that would be more more fun by doing so. Don't make me laugh, I* tried not being rude, but, what makes you think so?

And hey, I cannot bother every time I standing in front of a boss and telling myself okay, here are some achievements for it, I should try to achieve them all once rather than coming back again in order to do so.

In my opinion, it is away too far from enjoying a game. Again I did not say I want to share this thoughts with someone who completely disagree with it. You have the rights to disagree but this is not the point in this post to discuss. I cannot care any less.

Just as my original post has pointed, I love X-box achievements because at least I gain some points after I completed an achievement, and that does make me feel warmfor trying so hard in order to get it. And still not changing, that is the very leaset steam achievements can do, and make some rewards to make it a better goal by doing so.

L-r | Canti Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:46am 
As was previously stated, people abused achievements when there were rewards involved. I still like to collect them, though.
Queen of Blades ✄♞✄❤ Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:51am 
And I agree with rewards like discount would be difficult to do.

However, it is still so many possibilities that can upgrade the steam achievements to make it be such a joy to achieve. I don't see what is wrong with this idea.

Anyway, free will guys , free will
Queen of Blades ✄♞✄❤ Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:52am 
Originally posted by Canti:
As was previously stated, people abused achievements when there were rewards involved. I still like to collect them, though.
Yes, you're right, that's your way of playing it, I did not disagree with it. Hope you know
Peter Pan Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:56am 
Achievements have always been meaningless, but for some reason it keeps people playing. And it is even a requirement now to have it, or the game will feel incomplete.
L-r | Canti Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:03am 
Don't Starve chose not to use achievements because they felt it made players play the game differently than how it was supposed to be played, grinding for achievements rather than doing what they wanted. It's a fair point
SenSenMiaoMiao Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:10am 
GAME IS GAME,JUST PLAY FOR FUN!
BullCityFats Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:10am 
It's all just a matter of play style.
Gus the Crocodile Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:15am 
Originally posted by Scarlet Cloude:
And comparing the real life to a game is not a good idea either, specially an unappreciate sample.
Who was saying anything about "real life"? I was talking about other entertainment media. A drama you watch on TV is no more "real" than a drama you take part in in a game.

But spending x minutes shooting Y numbers of creep and won a title of a small picture would no more than a waste of time, If you call it "having fun", go ahead and that is your way, but not for me, and never it would be.
Then don't do it. What, are you saying you want Steam to encourage you to do things that you don't want to do? Is that how you want to spend your time, or do you want to spend it enjoying yourself?

Achievements that are fun to work toward don't need fixing. And achievements that aren't fun but give you stuff ("points" or whatever other rewards)...are still not fun. So why would you want them?
Seven7 Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:17am 
that explains it all: SAM (Steam Achievement Manager)
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 12, 2013 @ 7:08pm