Chaoguy2006 15 ENE 2013 a las 4:37
University work poll: What do people want out of iPhone games (that used to be boardgames)
Hey.

I've been doing some university work (master's level) and I'm looking into the differences between what boardgame and videogame communities want.

I found a poll on BoardGameGeek, and I've made a duplicate of it so I can compare the results from a boardgame based community and a videogame based community.

http://tolu.na/VM8dIE

The question does ask for location, but this can be skipped. There is also an optional question if you wish to be contacted directly for future questions. This section can also remain blank, but please do not put any information on there that would allow others to access valuable accounts. All information in this questionnaire is confidential. The results will be destroyed after the assignment is finished, and the questionnaire has been approved by the mods (https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=7947-ERVM-4425
EDIT: if the link does not work, here is a screencap: i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Chao-guy/Steam_Approval.png
Don't put "https://" on the front of that, or it will not link properly).

If you have some spare time, it would really help me out. Plus, if anyone is interested, I can post my findings and research here.

On a side note, What does everyone think of boardgames turned into videogames? Like them, loathe them, or is there a board game you liked that didn't translate over well onto iPhone?

Again, thank you very much.

EDIT:
I would like to inform everyone the poll is now closed.
The results of the paper earned me a Masters of Enginering in Computer Gameplay Design and Production, Merit level.

I will look into uploading my paper to read, and publishing the results of the questionnaire (without sharing the email adresses). I'm thinking of using dropbox, I just need to clean up my PC.

I would like to thank you all again for helping me in my work.

EDIT:
For those interested in the results of the polls, they can be downloaded here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46990893/Public_Results_Copy.doc

All written anwsers have had the emails removed (as did the origional submitted document).
I can post my conclusions I made based on these results, however I would need to check with my university if I am allowed to post the whole document.
Última edición por Chaoguy2006; 20 AGO 2013 a las 7:42
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 71 comentarios
Cametron5000 21 ENE 2013 a las 12:26 
Chinese Checkers FTW!!!!
Cametron5000 21 ENE 2013 a las 12:29 
i filled it out even though i'm on android
₥¤⇂₫ 21 ENE 2013 a las 22:44 
Risk ftw.
epic gaming 23 ENE 2013 a las 6:02 
Why is this pinned?
I want an iphone that allows only me to send a signal while playing games on it to the other player's phone an basically make his iphone explode in his face.
Cametron5000 23 ENE 2013 a las 9:53 
Publicado originalmente por ExtraCheesyPie:
Why is this pinned?
it was approved by the moderators as being a worthwhile poll
PentaPenta 23 ENE 2013 a las 10:41 
Filled it out. Don't do much IOS, but if I did, I put my opinion of what'd I want xD
Última edición por PentaPenta; 23 ENE 2013 a las 10:41
Chaoguy2006 23 ENE 2013 a las 12:39 
Publicado originalmente por poodlenoodles:
Publicado originalmente por ExtraCheesyPie:
Why is this pinned?
it was approved by the moderators as being a worthwhile poll

I didn't even realize!! Thank you so much mods!!
Quil 20 FEB 2013 a las 0:23 
I love the idea of translating board games into a video gaming format. Many video games started out on the tabletop and many video game developers prototype their IP as board games first to get a feel of the play and flesh out the rules and strategies. A lot of the larger console games are great examples of this, in Assassin's Creed 3 the abstract strategy games nine man morris and fanorona were ported over as minigames and in Fallout New Vegas a card game called caravan was created and developed using an actual deck of cards they designed. These minigames are a lot of fun to play, they are great tools to help break up the main objectives and quests in the storyline, and they can provide a little bit of old world nostalgia in the case of more traditional games such as chess or backgammon.
It's also nice to see a lot of the older board games in the app markets. It allows these games to be a lot more accessible to gamers and can introduce them to people that otherwise would have never even played them. I think it also makes it much easier for people that are already familiar with the board games, you can just pull out your phone and instantly link up with players all over the world that share the same passion for the game that you do! You don't have to worry about things like finding the game, looking for people that are interested in playing (let alone finding people that provide an adequate challenge to make the game enjoyable), possibly having to teach people the rules, making sure all they pieces are available beforehand as well as ensuring nobody knocks the table over and loses the peices during it, etc.
There are some disadvantages to the crossover however, you lose that person to person interaction and some of the more complex games can lose something when not played face to face, for example it may be a lot harder not to trade that desperately needed resource or burn down that village when you know the other player and they are sitting across the table from you! This being said, I feel that in our culture today these kinds of adaptations are important and I'd much rather have them redesigned into a new form than to see them fade away.
Tox Laximus 21 FEB 2013 a las 17:28 
Hungry Hungry Hippo's
Chaoguy2006 22 FEB 2013 a las 10:47 
Publicado originalmente por Quil:
I love the idea of translating board games into a video gaming format. Many video games started out on the tabletop and many video game developers prototype their IP as board games first to get a feel of the play and flesh out the rules and strategies. A lot of the larger console games are great examples of this, in Assassin's Creed 3 the abstract strategy games nine man morris and fanorona were ported over as minigames and in Fallout New Vegas a card game called caravan was created and developed using an actual deck of cards they designed. These minigames are a lot of fun to play, they are great tools to help break up the main objectives and quests in the storyline, and they can provide a little bit of old world nostalgia in the case of more traditional games such as chess or backgammon.
It's also nice to see a lot of the older board games in the app markets. It allows these games to be a lot more accessible to gamers and can introduce them to people that otherwise would have never even played them. I think it also makes it much easier for people that are already familiar with the board games, you can just pull out your phone and instantly link up with players all over the world that share the same passion for the game that you do! You don't have to worry about things like finding the game, looking for people that are interested in playing (let alone finding people that provide an adequate challenge to make the game enjoyable), possibly having to teach people the rules, making sure all they pieces are available beforehand as well as ensuring nobody knocks the table over and loses the peices during it, etc.
There are some disadvantages to the crossover however, you lose that person to person interaction and some of the more complex games can lose something when not played face to face, for example it may be a lot harder not to trade that desperately needed resource or burn down that village when you know the other player and they are sitting across the table from you! This being said, I feel that in our culture today these kinds of adaptations are important and I'd much rather have them redesigned into a new form than to see them fade away.

What you said matches with my research so far, and is very well said! Thank you Quil. How do you feel the social differences between boardgames and computer games can be addressed when converting a game?
RADKILLA[420] 12 MAR 2013 a las 20:38 
what?
RADKILLA[420] 12 MAR 2013 a las 20:39 
lame ♥♥♥♥,unless your talking axis and allies the board game translated to video game,which was good it prevented cheaters:)
Noob Tactics 13 MAR 2013 a las 21:19 
Hmmmmmm a board game app its hard to decide because most people like games with competion and such but im sure a many games like monoply, and such seem like a good idea. From what I study or was I was told, that the top sellers do come from apps on phones but the problem seems that companys are not just trying to create a game but a game that would sell to the public. er........ sorry if im not helping your case but I'm trying to say is think like a consumer, think what do you want to play and also who would be playing the game also in order to achieve sucess. My idea for teenage apps deal with more competitive and maybe fps action or at least rpgs.
AbusiveNan 30 MAR 2013 a las 8:16 
monolopy FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 71 comentarios
Por página: 1530 50

Publicado el: 15 ENE 2013 a las 4:37