Pantaloons Jan 27, 2013 @ 9:42am
Achievements
Will they ever be improved? On ps3 and xbox they actually contribute to an overall player rating and stuff like that. Granted its still completely useless, but I still find it more interesting and would love for my steam achievements to mean more.
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
roh Jan 27, 2013 @ 11:10am 
I don't think Valve will improve them. And yes, thry are useless. Except you have fun to get them.
DeadPixel Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:18pm 
I enjoy the achievements as they are. I feel they already have a reward and thats the felling of getting all of them and finishing the game. If you don't feel they mean anything don't go for them.

When I played Xbox before I bought games I didn't like and played games I didn't enjoy because they had easy achievements or I could get a few more points on a game.
Last edited by DeadPixel; Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:20pm
Pantaloons Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:33pm 
I agree it makes you want to play games that are boring so that you stack your stats; but I am actually ok with that. plus it would drive more sales for steam - why wouldnt they?
Skinker Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
I like how Raptr combines your hours played + achievements earned to create a ranking for you on the game you are playing. That is what I use.
roh Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
Originally posted by MetaPants:
I agree it makes you want to play games that are boring so that you stack your stats; but I am actually ok with that. plus it would drive more sales for steam - why wouldnt they?

Because they don't care about achievements. Look @ the past sales.
XenoLair Jan 27, 2013 @ 4:38pm 
I personally prefer the 360 way of achievements as they all have numerical values and count towards a larger score - I score I do not gloat over and a score not heightened by buying bad games just for achievements. Because steam does not do this, I dont really care about their achievements that much. Over all to me they feel like an extra quest added in the game - if done right. Not all devs really care about them so the ones they put in really suck and gamers love to use the ♥♥♥♥ty ones as exampes why ALL achivements suck.

Anyway... they really should add a deeper system to it if you ask me.
Dreakon Jan 27, 2013 @ 5:02pm 
Any improvements to the achievements are a-ok by me. I like achievements. While I agree they are useless, most things in games are useless. It's all about having fun, however it is you do it. Unlocking golden gun skins in Max Payne 3 isn't exactly blowing my mind. The achievements are as close as one can get to a "progress bar" for the completion of a game, and it's kinda something to be proud of when you hit 100% (especially if it's really difficult).

That said, I can't see any large overhaul to the system happening. At least none that involve valuing individual achievements in the fashion of the Xbox 360 or PS3, since they'd probably have to get the developers involved with it... and there's no reason to do it really if you can't get all games/achievements following the same system.

I wouldn't mind some filters when viewing games, sort by most completed game, exclude games that don't have achievements, etc. And make the achievements easily visible from the All Games tab.
Last edited by Dreakon; Jan 27, 2013 @ 6:53pm
Pantaloons Jan 27, 2013 @ 5:36pm 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
I wouldn't mind some filters when viewing games, sort by most completed game, exclude games that don't have achievements, etc. And make the achievements easily visible from the All Games tab.

Even just those would be great improvements
JakeVE Jan 28, 2013 @ 5:18pm 
i would be all for making achievements count towards a score. just more to do for the game and for it to stand for something. Harder achievements get bigger score and vise versa, like the xbox 360 way of counting them. Although this is valve and a totally different system and they may not want to seem like o copy content from another company
Power of Seven Jan 28, 2013 @ 5:59pm 
Originally posted by JakeVE:
i would be all for making achievements count towards a score. just more to do for the game and for it to stand for something. Harder achievements get bigger score and vise versa, like the xbox 360 way of counting them.

The Xbox Live model is incredibly flawed and there's a reason why people that are serious about gaming don't even look at the "Gamer Score".

There's games that essentially dole out achievements for doing literally nothing, especially for games that are essentially shovelware. Some games can be finished in a few hours and it's an instant 2000 points for their "score". Gamers in the past have actually exploited the system and intentionally found shovelware at their game rental stores to rack up a massive score.

Every game has 2000 points per game and that's it (XBLA games have 800). Games with fewer achievements are actually favored as a result for Gamer Score as opposed to games with numerous achievements. Also, I think many indie games on XBLA are far harder than some mainstream games, but they pay out fewer points.

There's nothing wrong with Valve's system. The good part about it is that--if the developer setup their Steamworks correctly--you can review the global completion percantages for each achievement. If you accomplished something that only a few percent of all game buyers have done, then I think that's more than enough to feel good about it.
Last edited by Power of Seven; Jan 28, 2013 @ 5:59pm
Pantaloons Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:30pm 
Originally posted by Power of Seven:
The Xbox Live model is incredibly flawed and there's a reason why people that are serious about gaming don't even look at the "Gamer Score".

Lol. "serious about gaming". Get a job.
Nomastersword Jan 28, 2013 @ 7:01pm 
I don't believe that they should count towards anything significant. As of now, I'd say that achievements are the least credible way of seeing whether someone has real gaming aptitude on Steam and Live; same for PSN's trophies. Some are obtained as easily as watching a cutscene, while others on pc could be easily obtained via mods.

If game developers wanted achievements to actually be of some significance, they'd make them stricter (as you can't tamper with the game files) and make them a lot tougher to get. I'm not talking achievements where you'd have to grind for hours (like L4D's Zombie Genocidest). Those only require a lot of actually playing the game. Achievements should be geared towards difficulty, such as "Beat this level on insane with one life!" or "Escape this level without firing a single bullet!". Stupid, crazy, fun, but not tossed out so easily; achievements that are actually real achievements, feats of the hardcore gamer. They should be things that indicate "Damn, this guy got >insert cheevo<? That's freaking nuts."

Too bad this will probably never happen.
Dreakon Jan 28, 2013 @ 7:10pm 
Originally posted by Ooaay:
I don't believe that they should count towards anything significant. As of now, I'd say that achievements are the least credible way of seeing whether someone has real gaming aptitude on Steam and Live; same for PSN's trophies. Some are obtained as easily as watching a cutscene, while others on pc could be easily obtained via mods.

If game developers wanted achievements to actually be of some significance, they'd make them stricter (as you can't tamper with the game files) and make them a lot tougher to get. I'm not talking achievements where you'd have to grind for hours (like L4D's Zombie Genocidest). Those only require a lot of actually playing the game. Achievements should be geared towards difficulty, such as "Beat this level on insane with one life!" or "Escape this level without firing a single bullet!". Stupid, crazy, fun, but not tossed out so easily; achievements that are actually real achievements, feats of the hardcore gamer. They should be things that indicate "Damn, this guy got >insert cheevo<? That's freaking nuts."

Too bad this will probably never happen.
On the Xbox, the game isn't permenantly added to your profile until you get an achievement. For that reason I enjoyed easier ones, just a quickie when I pop the game in to make it official. I also enjoy a few achievements as I play through the game, just makes those little moments all the more enjoyable (and become a way of indicating to friends how far you are in the game). Plus some of them are simply to encourage players to try a different mode or use a feature that is normally overlooked. Can't fault them for that.

If you want crazy hard though, get Max Payne 3. That 'The Shadows Rushed Me' achievement has you beating the entire game, in one sitting, on the hardest difficulty, without dying even once. Get to the end, unlucky bullet in your head, have to start all over.
Last edited by Dreakon; Jan 28, 2013 @ 7:12pm
10Club Jan 28, 2013 @ 8:33pm 
Originally posted by MetaPants:

The question is why waste precious time playing a terrible game for achievements. That just boggles my mind.

Waste of money. Waste of time.
Lord Dramorion Feb 22, 2013 @ 11:15pm 
I just want a unified system (a tab) to view my progress on all my games that have steam achievments. I could care less about Valve giving it a meaningless value (like xbox's gamerscore).
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 27, 2013 @ 9:42am