All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
knightfire Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:20pm
any more GREAT RPGs out there? that are a bit older?
okay, so, recently, VERY recently, i have been experimenting with different games. (not on steam) i have played Icewind Dale 1,2 Planetscape: Torment, Baldurs gates 1-2/both expansions, Arcanum: of steamworks and magic obscura (i HAVE TO SAY to ANYONE who has NOT played Arcanum, to go and buy it RIGHT NOW. no matter the price, this game is COMPLETELY BAD@$$ <3 ), Nox, diablo's 1-2-3, Dragon Age: Origins, (didnt really like the fighting that much :/ LOVED the dialogue options though) Assassins Creed 1/2 (i forget D< its been a while since i played them XD loved the background of the game, VERY immersive), Fallouts 1-2-3-New Vegas, all of the elder scrolls: arena, daggerfall ,2 (forget name D:), morrowind, oblivion, skyrim.

now then, onto the main point of this post: i am searching for a nice new game to play. my brain has been racking the internet and steam too, to look for games to play. i just don't know. the ones that i look at, don't necessarily have the "feel" of them that the games ABOVE do. i dont know. any suggestions??? thank you guys VERY much for your time.

side note: if i am posting in the wrong "area" of the forum im sorry for that. kinda new what with the like 1 post to my name :P thanks for taking your time to read this i appreciate it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
TheGorpHorp Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:27pm 
Hm... Darksiders 2 is a good one. But it has some God of War elements in it. But it is an RPG. There's BioShock....and there's..... Borderlands, 1 and 2. Check them out!
knightfire Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:28pm 
oh. d**n it. i forgot to add that i, just a week ago, beat bioshock 2 and 1. IN THAT ORDER LOL. beat borderlands 1 like a year ago. and working on 2. thank you so much for the help though. i shall check out this "darksiders 2" then :D THANKS!
Thordred Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:38pm 
Ultima VII[www.gog.com]
Drakensang
Age of Decadence[www.irontowerstudio.com]
knightfire Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Originally posted by Thordred:
Ultima VII[www.gog.com]
Drakensang

age of decadence looks AMAZING. so does Drakensang. im guessing that the first one, Age of Decadence, is a bit like age of empires 2? but drakensang looks a BIT like a dungeon seige clone. ill check them out though :D THANKS.
Thordred Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:57pm 
Originally posted by xknightfirex:
Ultima VII[www.gog.com]
Drakensang

age of decadence looks AMAZING. so does Drakensang. im guessing that the first one, Age of Decadence, is a bit like age of empires 2? but drakensang looks a BIT like a dungeon seige clone. ill check them out though :D THANKS.

The games you compare them to are not even in the same genre. :P
My recommendations are all classic RPGs. Drakensang is not a clone of anything, of the games you mentioned in your first post the most similar would be Dragon Age imo.
Age of Decadence is still in development but there's already a demo available on the website and the game will be sold on Steam when it's released.
If I had to name the single most influential RPG series of all time it would be Ultima. You said "a bit older", the Ultima games are, well, really old... but still very enjoyable and an important part of PC gaming history. :D
Rev. Dr. Marine Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:57pm 
Cthulhu Saves The World is a great SNES style RPG on Steam and it's really cheap. Dark Souls is also really good, if a bit of a dodgy port.
knightfire Mar 8, 2013 @ 6:11pm 
Originally posted by xknightfirex:

The games you compare them to are not even in the same genre. :P
My recommendations are all classic RPGs. Drakensang is not a clone of anything, of the games you mentioned in your first post the most similar would be Dragon Age imo.
Age of Decadence is still in development but there's already a demo available on the website and the game will be sold on Steam when it's released.
If I had to name the single most influential RPG series of all time it would be Ultima. You said "a bit older", the Ultima games are, well, really old... but still very enjoyable and an important part of PC gaming history. :D
sorry lol. im just comparing them to the games that i have experienced and they looked like they were in the same genre. a bit new to the whole "genre" thing. classification i mean, Ultima is like DANG old though. but still, thank you for your options and opinion.
LAN Mar 8, 2013 @ 6:48pm 
Alpha Protocol & Arx Fatalis, both are on Steam and both are fantastic games. Alpha Protocol is a bit buggy but still playable. Arx Fatalis requires a mod (Arx Libertatis) for an overall better experience.
Seattle McDebt Mar 8, 2013 @ 7:34pm 
I'm that dude that when you say old, I reccomend OLD. I'm reccomending EarthBound for the SNES and Final Fantasy III as it was called in America for the SNES.
Shivikai Mar 9, 2013 @ 5:42am 
For an old RPG, try Wizardry 8. It was a jaw-dropper back in its day.
If you like sneaking games, I can heartily recommend Thief 1 & 2
As a precursor to Darksiders, the Legacy of Kain series, starting with Soul Reaver, is a good fighting/adventure game with an excellent plot.
For something completely different from anything else ever, King of Dragon pass is a strategy game in its own class and has been recently re-released for ipads.
Enjoy gaming! :)
TheGorpHorp Mar 9, 2013 @ 6:09am 
There's also Terraria, Dark Souls (real hard), and WarZ. Check them out! DayZ should come out for Steam soon.
TheGorpHorp Mar 9, 2013 @ 6:10am 
Oh, but try playing WarZ with friends if you can.
Mivo Mar 9, 2013 @ 7:47am 
Some of the suggestions here make me wonder if people actually know most of the games the topic starter listed, or actually know what an RPG is.

On topic: The Drakensang games (especially the first one) are excellent and will give you the experience you're looking for. Not at all like Dungeon Siege. They go back to the 1990s German DSA titles Sternenschweif and Shadows over Riga, and use the same roleplaying system (DSA is a bit of a German version of D&D, loosely put).

If you prefer single-character RPGs, I would recommend The Witcher, especially the first one. You can tremendously enhance the experience by reading the books the games are based on before you play them. The combat takes a bit to get used to, but story and atmosphere are rich and deep.

For a bit of an Icewind Dale like experience, and BG to a degree, you might enjoy Neverwinter Nights 2. Or the first one with the expansions, but the second one has a much better story.

I would have recommended Torment, but you already played that. Sadly, nothing comes close to it, even after all those years. (There is a Kickstarter project for a sequel.)
bvguthrie Mar 9, 2013 @ 10:45am 
As Mivo mentioned, a sequel to Planescape: Torment is coming. There are actually several upcoming RPGs that hearken back to the older ones you mention. The one I'm most excited about is Wasteland 2. You may also be interested in Project Eternity, Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, or Expeditions: Conquistador.
knightfire Mar 10, 2013 @ 12:30pm 
Originally posted by Mivo:
Some of the suggestions here make me wonder if people actually know most of the games the topic starter listed, or actually know what an RPG is.

On topic: The Drakensang games (especially the first one) are excellent and will give you the experience you're looking for. Not at all like Dungeon Siege. They go back to the 1990s German DSA titles Sternenschweif and Shadows over Riga, and use the same roleplaying system (DSA is a bit of a German version of D&D, loosely put).

If you prefer single-character RPGs, I would recommend The Witcher, especially the first one. You can tremendously enhance the experience by reading the books the games are based on before you play them. The combat takes a bit to get used to, but story and atmosphere are rich and deep.

For a bit of an Icewind Dale like experience, and BG to a degree, you might enjoy Neverwinter Nights 2. Or the first one with the expansions, but the second one has a much better story.

I would have recommended Torment, but you already played that. Sadly, nothing comes close to it, even after all those years. (There is a Kickstarter project for a sequel.)

thank you SO MUCH for being ON-TOPIC with me. and giving me some amazing insightful information that i longed for.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Mar 8, 2013 @ 5:20pm