Wszystkie dyskusje > Fora Steam > Off Topic > Szczegóły wątku
Rabby 15 lutego 2013 o 23:10
Is Steam for Linux worth it?
Gabe Newell was so angry with Windows 8 he threatened that Valve would port games over to Linux, and now that's happening. But is it worth it? Please school me, I thought that DirectX was what made gaming on the PC so worthwhile.
< >
Wyświetlanie 1-15 z 41 komentarzy
Peter Pan 15 lutego 2013 o 23:30 
No I don't think it works that way.

Steam cannot just port all Steam games into Linux, because the game developers first have to make Linux versions of the game.

So even if you install Linux and get Steam, you are still limited in your game choices because not all games run on Linux.

In other words, no, it's not worth using Linux for gaming.

Unless something has drastically for the past few years.
Storm 15 lutego 2013 o 23:36 
My answer is yes, it's worth it. Though Peter Pan is correct about games need porting (like on Mac), we'll see more and more games available for Linux. Especially the indies have taken Linux to their heart.
dirrtymartini 15 lutego 2013 o 23:50 
Początkowo opublikowane przez Peter Pan:
No I don't think it works that way.

Steam cannot just port all Steam games into Linux, because the game developers first have to make Linux versions of the game.

So even if you install Linux and get Steam, you are still limited in your game choices because not all games run on Linux.

In other words, no, it's not worth using Linux for gaming.

Unless something has drastically for the past few years.

Yes, things have changed dramatically in the last few years. Especially in the last year. Over 90 games have now been ported to Linux. These are native Linux ports. No emulators. No Wine. Native ports at native speed. Games like CSS, TF2, Crusader Kings II, and more. The list is growing almost every week (it seems).

Valve has really created the push for gaming on Linux and the movement is gathering steam. (pun intended)

OP, if you are a gearhead and want to explore new turf, give it a go. The Ubuntu setup and Steam for Linux install is absurdly easy. Takes less than an hour and doesn't touch a shell prompt or command line. You'll get to see how OpenGL compares to DirectX. You'll also open a big freaking door into the massive Linux world.

Windows has its place. If you're happy there, stick with it. :)
Peter Pan 16 lutego 2013 o 0:25 
The OP's question is more specific, is Steam moving over to Linux? No Steam would commit suicide if it did that. Steam is just posturing to make Windows 8 conform to its needs. Most of its games are only for Windows.

Steam cannot just magically make all games compatible with Linux with some script.

So no OP, Steam isn't moving completely to Linux. There is no need to switch OS.

Steam is saying "We care about Linux and we support you". They're not saying "We're dumping Windows 8 and moving over to Linux completely".
Ostatnio edytowany przez: Peter Pan; 16 lutego 2013 o 0:27
dirrtymartini 16 lutego 2013 o 0:32 
The OP's question is more specific, is Steam moving over to Linux? No Steam would commit suicide if it did that. Steam is just posturing to make Windows 8 conform to its needs. Most of its games are only for Windows.

Steam cannot just magically make all games compatible with Linux with some script.

So no OP, Steam isn't moving completely to Linux. There is no need to switch OS.

Are we reading the same post? The OP asked "Is Steam for Linux Worth It?" I responded to that. He didn't ask if Valve was migrating everybody to Linux. The two gaming worlds, Windows and Linux, can co-exist.

And posturing to make Windows 8 conform? Where are you reading this rubbish? The same place you read about "limited game choices"? Have you even tried Steam for Linux?
Peter Pan 16 lutego 2013 o 0:42 
Początkowo opublikowane przez dirrtygsharp:
Are we reading the same post? The OP asked "Is Steam for Linux Worth It?" I responded to that. He didn't ask if Valve was migrating everybody to Linux. The two gaming worlds, Windows and Linux, can co-exist.

You only read the title, when his body post gives a clearer picture of what he was asking.

"Gabe Newell was so angry with Windows 8 he threatened that Valve would port games over to Linux, and now that's happening. But is it worth it? Please school me, I thought that DirectX was what made gaming on the PC so worthwhile."

He's asking whether it is worth going over to Linux since supposedly Gabe Newell can magically make only Linux versions of games. So is it worth going Linux for Steam? That's his question.

So my answer is no, Gabe cannot magically transform all 2000 games into Linux compatible versions. Steam the program cannot magically do that.

"Currently, few game makers produce a version that can run on Linux or other open-source operating systems.

While almost 60 titles are available on Steam, the store sells more than 2,000 games that run on Windows."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21471974

It's nice to get excited about 60 Linux titles, but to say that Steam will give up on the 2000 Windows-only market is incredible.

And posturing to make Windows 8 conform? Where are you reading this rubbish? The same place you read about "limited game choices"? Have you even tried Steam for Linux?

Why do I need a citation or try Steam on Linux to have an opinion? Steam on Windows is almost the same as Steam on Linux. It's just Steam on an OS.

It's pretty obvious that this recent venture to Linux is more about posturing.
dirrtymartini 16 lutego 2013 o 0:44 
(snip diversions)

You and I can go round and round about what the OP was trying to say...but since they haven't replied to this thread, I'm going to drop it.
Rabby 16 lutego 2013 o 13:35 
Having spent $1,100 on a pair of Radeon HD 7970's in Crossfire I want all the bling for playing H-L 2, ep. 3 (if only it would arrive), Dishonored, Deux Ex Human Revolution, RAGE, Metro 2033, Bioshock Infinite, etc., all of which are DirectX titles. I'd hate having to create a second bootable partition for Ubuntu just to be let down by a poorer gaming experience. DirectX has advanced to 11.1, but how much has OpenGL advanced? Isn't tessellation DirectX based? I have the same hesitancy swapping Ben & Jerry's for a soy based alternative.
Dreakon13 16 lutego 2013 o 13:54 
Probably isn't worth it now if your goal is to play the latest games with all the latest graphical functionality. The selection is limited and even if Steam for Linux is out of beta, gaming itself is still very much in a transitional phase.

Personally, I'm waiting for more of Valve's catalog to hit Linux before I even consider it... like the Portal games, Left 4 Dead and Half-Life 2. I loved my time with Linux though. When I do switch from Windows, it'll probably be for good.
Ostatnio edytowany przez: Dreakon13; 16 lutego 2013 o 13:57
dirrtymartini 16 lutego 2013 o 13:57 
Początkowo opublikowane przez Substancer:
Having spent $1,100 on a pair of Radeon HD 7970's in Crossfire I want all the bling for playing H-L 2, ep. 3 (if only it would arrive), Dishonored, Deux Ex Human Revolution, RAGE, Metro 2033, Bioshock Infinite, etc., all of which are DirectX titles. I'd hate having to create a second bootable partition for Ubuntu just to be let down by a poorer gaming experience. DirectX has advanced to 11.1, but how much has OpenGL advanced? Isn't tessellation DirectX based? I have the same hesitancy swapping Ben & Jerry's for a soy based alternative.

I'm more of a systems / networking guy so I can't speak about a technical comparison between DirectX and OpenGL. As for your games, if you're happy with them in Windows, stick with them. I keep a Windows rig around to play my favorites as well. If Windows gets the job done, run with it.

Valve has native ports for HL1, CSS, and TF2 so we can probably expect the rest of their catalog to follow.

Your other titles will depend on their devs to deliver ports. We are seeing nibbles -- for example, Crusader Kings II and Unity of Command have native ports. RAGE might never make it. Carmack has suggested using Wine and running the Windows version of the game in Linux. That's a non-starter for a lot of people.

So, if you have a need for Linux for other reasons, it might be worth creating that Ubuntu partition. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone and maybe check out the Linux section of Steam every now and then.

(this is coming from a Linux user too!)

Do you think Linux can conquered all the gaming platform. Is that profitable for Valve for the future. Is Linux is secured against Cyber Hacker better than OS: Actually; so many User's complaining against cheaters ,hi-jacking account and some more. Is that good idea preventing cheat creator? About multimedia like Apps mobile gaming,is linux compatible? User's for Linux 10 percent and OS 90 percent. Investment is costly very expensive over Linux.

Mostly Eastern Europe using Linux and famous for encryting and hacktools like DOS proggi.
Rabby 16 lutego 2013 o 16:18 
Thank you all for your replies. I'll check forums for opinions, read PC Gamer, Maximum PC and Anandtech, and probably Google OpenGL. But for now I'm pretty happy with PC gaming.
Salty Tears 17 lutego 2013 o 5:05 
Well if games start porting more to linux I sure will stop dual booting... and buy more off steam for sure... I refuse to dual boot win8 on this pc the issue is small selection of quality linux games on steam right now...

Games has been only thing ever holding linux back... its a superior desktop and server os.
dirrtymartini 17 lutego 2013 o 11:22 
Początkowo opublikowane przez Sicko:
Well if games start porting more to linux I sure will stop dual booting... and buy more off steam for sure... I refuse to dual boot win8 on this pc the issue is small selection of quality linux games on steam right now...

Games has been only thing ever holding linux back... its a superior desktop and server os.

Keep that dual-boot for a bit longer. 90+ games ported to Linux is a drop in the bucket. Still, it's a good start! Should be a fun year as more games are ported and more publishers jump on the Linux bandwagon.
Linux is fantastic to experiment in these days, but flat out deleting windows to use linux is a crazy move.
Ostatnio edytowany przez: Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; 17 lutego 2013 o 11:35
< >
Wyświetlanie 1-15 z 41 komentarzy
Na stronę: 1530 50

Wszystkie dyskusje > Fora Steam > Off Topic > Szczegóły wątku
Data napisania: 15 lutego 2013 o 23:10