Shizuka67 Oct 27, 2013 @ 3:17am
Survival game like Lone Survivor
I've been looking for a good survival game for some time. I use Lone survivor as an example because you have to eat and sleep in the game, and it's less combat focused than most survivor games are, which I find can take away from the surviving aspect.
Any suggestions?
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Trade-01 Oct 27, 2013 @ 3:20am 
Don't Starve is obvious choice.
The Professional Oct 27, 2013 @ 5:24am 
Maybe Day Z?
Black Blade Oct 27, 2013 @ 5:25am 
Originally posted by Shadowhunter:
Maybe Day Z?
reading that with you profile pic XD
I AM SHODAN! Oct 27, 2013 @ 7:40am 
Amnesia TDD and the Penumbra series are definitely survival games that are not combat focused.
<|WP|> Chicken Oct 27, 2013 @ 8:30am 
That new game state of decay could be a good survival game and probably (non zombie game)
Kerbal Space Program. Why? It is hard to not kill everyone in your spaceship :D. Serious now...
State of decay could be good and combat isnt everything but NEVER survivor stories or something like that (was WarZ)
Shizuka67 Oct 27, 2013 @ 11:04am 
Thanks for replies guys!
I did pick up Don't Starve, and I'm looking into State of Decay.
I AM SHODAN! Oct 27, 2013 @ 11:29am 
There's also a fantastic creepy game for PS2 called Siren (or Forbidden Siren in Japan) that is nearly entirely stealth-based rather than combat based if you happen to have a PS2 (I'm unsure if it's a backwards compatible game, sorry.)

Deadlight is a platformer-zombie game where you pretty much run the whole time instead of fighting (with a few exceptions I guess).

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for Wii is non combat as well. The Clocktower series for various Playstation consoles would possibly suit your needs as well. The Thief series, available on Steam, is more stealth than action. There's a freeware game called SCP: Containment Breach where the object is to survive to escape the facility before the escaped SCP (paranormal anomalies of all types including creatures and objects) get you and it's more or less combat free, though it would make more sense if you visited the SCP website and read a few of the entries on there. Also there are about 50 (no kidding) different variations on the "Slenderman" theme which are also basically running and surviving until a goal is reached while avoiding the creature(s).

That's a fairly unusual game type now that I think about it. I Can't seem to think of any more at the moment that might fit the bill in some way, hope these helped.
Last edited by I AM SHODAN!; Oct 27, 2013 @ 2:09pm
Shizuka67 Oct 27, 2013 @ 2:06pm 
It really is an unusual type of game, most survival games are very combat oriented which is a slightly different type of "survival".
I almost forgot about the Thief series, that was one I wanted to play.
I AM SHODAN! Oct 27, 2013 @ 2:10pm 
One note though, some of the games I've listed are *extremely* creepy so hopefully you're okay with that. ;)
<|WP|> Chicken Oct 31, 2013 @ 6:41am 
Oh but a little note to survival horror: Amnesia a machine for pigs isnt survival horror anymore! It is very limited in interaction so if you want the best survival horror I think Penumbra black plague is awsome!

Oh state of decay is still in alpha (or BETA) so you have to be sure if you pick it up
Last edited by <|WP|> Chicken; Oct 31, 2013 @ 6:42am
<|WP|> Chicken Oct 31, 2013 @ 6:47am 
It isnt very much the genre but if you like this wasteland stuff and the (kind of) hardcore survival you can take a look at Fallout new vegas if you havent it. The focus of the game isnt killing but it feels like it. It has some kind of zombies in it too- BUT it is an RPG so if you dont like leveling up and finding best armour and weapons then just forget this.(Fallout 3 has less survival in it but it hasnt so much bugs)
I AM SHODAN! Oct 31, 2013 @ 11:05am 
Originally posted by BroMaxx773:
Oh but a little note to survival horror: Amnesia a machine for pigs isnt survival horror anymore! It is very limited in interaction so if you want the best survival horror I think Penumbra black plague is awsome!

Black Plague is definitely my favourite of the Penumbra games as well. Very very scary and hair raising. The gameplay in Black Plague is entirely stealth-horror, there is no combat whatsoever. You feel helpless and frightened and it's quite a strange and terrifying trip.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is getting a lot of unwarranted abuse due to it being so very different from The Dark Descent, but it is still a very good game, just more disturbing than truly terrifying. It is as you say, though, definitely not a survival type game, but rather a story driven adventure with lower interactivity than TDD had. I did enjoy the game, though, and I found it disturbed me long after the credits had finished.

<|WP|> Chicken Nov 1, 2013 @ 10:06am 
Most people say that Machine for pigs sucks wich I dont understand. It isnt as scary as the original but its more disturbing. For me personally the worst sound I could hear is a pig dying
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 27, 2013 @ 3:17am