cojemo Dec 22, 2012 @ 7:07pm
Morrowind or oblivion
I have been looking at both of these games, and I would like to know which I should get. How do thes compare to skyrim? I have heard morrowind is incredible, but do all the elements hold up, such as combat, story? also, I have heard of a "Morroblivion" mod. explain this, and how easy is it to access? thanks for any feedback.
Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
cojemo Dec 22, 2012 @ 8:52pm 
No suggestions?
Delta Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:06pm 
Oblivion was terrible, honestly. The whole oblivion gates were just incredibly BORING. Straight up boring, and it was the same routine every single time. Morrowind was a much better game in my opinion. You don't have fast travel with the exception of the mark/recall spells, but that honestly isn't a bad thing.. it forces you to explore the game as it was intended. Skyrim was excellent in many regards, and I think Skyrim was a stab at "going back to Morrowind's roots".
Turret23 Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:34pm 
if you are familiar with the stalker series, you will know that the mods makes oblivion an awesome game

but that said, I never played morrowind
Vetriz Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:40pm 
All three are really great games, honestly. You're going to get a lot of different answers here because the opinion varies. I've noticed a lot of people tend to vote for the game that they started with in the series making it even harder to pick a clear winner.

If you want my honest opinion then I have to ask you how do you feel about graphics? If graphics aren't a big deal with you then start with Marrowind. Granted there are mods that make the graphics bearable but if you choose that route then you're not really getting the full experience.

Oblivion graphics are slightly better with exception of the face models. But they're both older games so they're not crazy awesome like Skyrim.

Edit: Forgot to mention my personal choice is Oblivion but I am also guilty of that being my first game in the series.
Last edited by Vetriz; Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:41pm
Treiger Dec 22, 2012 @ 9:42pm 
I pick Oblivion. I tried to play Morrowind, but the horrible combat put me off.
cojemo Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:11pm 
I dont really care about graphics to much. If the combat in morrowind is much worse compared to the others, then that is a big point. I have played Skyrim; just using it as a comparison. I am interested in Morroblivion mod, since it apparently makes oblivion have everything like morrowind, which would be like getting both, except an enhanced version of morrowind.
Set-115689 Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:44pm 
Originally posted by Treiger:

I didn't like morrowind either. Oblivion is more like skyrim. Morrowind is older and different. You should be able to get the oblivion game of the year (all dlcs) for about $8 after discounts, coupon codes and stuff if you shop around.
Last edited by Set-115689; Dec 22, 2012 @ 10:58pm
cojemo Dec 23, 2012 @ 7:12am 
Originally posted by zxcvbnm:
Originally posted by Treiger:

I didn't like morrowind either. Oblivion is more like skyrim. Morrowind is older and different. You should be able to get the oblivion game of the year (all dlcs) for about $8 after discounts, coupon codes and stuff if you shop around.
How is morrowind different and how does this make it worse?
Spacerogue Dec 23, 2012 @ 7:52am 
IIRC Morrowind's combat system was based on ' virtual dice' basically you could beat someone in the face without it having any effect if you didn't roll the right numbers.

the two games have a different crowd, Morrowind is loved for its storytelling and adventurous options, if you don't like reading I don't think you'll like Morrowind.

Oblivion was more accessible, real time combat and uh, actually it was a fun game! Sure the main quest was 'bah' but thats not the only thing you can do ,by far. I highly suggest trying to find the Dark Brotherhood.

Asking what game is best of these two is like compairing apples to oranges ....
zuFaulfürName25 Dec 23, 2012 @ 8:12am 
oblivion
blckruc47 Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:37pm 
I like both Morrowind and Oblivion and own both goty versions.
DJCaseyD Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:49pm 
Own both GOTY versions as well and played both to death. I think Morrowind has the better story. I like Oblivion's DLC better though. I also like the levitate spell in Morrowind as you can avoid missing stuff on the quick trip while still getting places faster. I don't think you can go wrong with either and if you can get them for $4.99 each, I would get both.
Mivo Dec 31, 2012 @ 3:40pm 
Morrowind is the better game, but you may find it dated if you mostly play newer stuff. Oblivion, out of the box, is terrible. Bad balance, bad everything. But with some overhaul mods, you can actually turn it into something more enjoyable. :) They are both good (Oblivion with mods), but Morrowind has the far better story and atmosphere.
Games Monkey Dec 31, 2012 @ 4:15pm 
Morrowind is the better game imho, the story, the world, its much more off beat, quirky & if graphics dont matter to you then i would go with morrowind.

As for combat its always been weak in all tes games & isn't morrowinds strength

JoohnyPlz Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Morrowind is basically still true to the real Elder Scrolls gameplay, same as Arena and Daggerfall with the exception of a 3D world, which is what made the series renown among the most amazing rpgs in the history of pc gaming. With Oblivion the series started to derail into modern more action focused and simpler gameplay in a fairytale like world, in order to make the game accessible and to allow anyone, even a 5 year old kid, to be able to get their parents to pay the money for it so that they can play it. Skyrim is pretty much the same except that they tried to revert this process and to go back to their rpg roots, but it's still a very modern and accessible game.

Because of this the fans divide themselves in two groups. Those who love true rpgs and the fantasy world setting they are invited into and love to play RPGs the right way. And Those who simply just like rpgs but more than anything else love interesting action oriented games and can't wait to kill some monsters and level up their character, which is pretty much the focus of RPGs nowadays, making this second group much much larger than the first one.. which is sadly exactly what beteshda intended.

I belong to the first one :) so of course, I like morrowind alot more, since RPG wise it far FAR superior.

Showing 1-15 of 39 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 22, 2012 @ 7:07pm