All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
WC4L420 Dec 21, 2014 @ 5:53pm
Why aren't there any good mech games anymore?
I remember loving the genre myself. I got Mech Assault for $5 when gameXchange was still around. From therer i fell in love with another series Armored Core. And that series really had something going for it. I know there is Titanfall out there now and i've put 88+ hours into it and got to gen 3, but its just not what these games were. Even Mech Assault 2 Lone Wolf i thought was better then Titanfall, just because of the different mech variety. And Armored core? You had to be talented to even use a light mech. My point though is What happened to making a fully badass giant robot? When did call of duty style gaming become all there is to games anymore? And why hasn't Armored core realesed anything for pc? Let alone anything since Verdict Day. My belief is that Armored Core 4 was the last great itteration of that series, and if they want to bring it back they should start with that game. I mean wht other mech game lets you custom make your mech even down to the stabilizers? And there color?
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Spawn of Totoro Dec 21, 2014 @ 6:08pm 
I prefer Mechwarrior games over AC. Simulator > 3rd person shooter. imho.

Th only game that comes close since MW 4: Mercenaries is Mechwarrior Online[mwomercs.com] but that doesn't come close to the feel of the single player Mechwarrior games.

Sadly, the mainstream gaming industry is all about trends. They go where the money is and right now the money is in MOBAs and FPS games.

I would love another true Mechwarrior game, but it is unlikely to happen. MS killed the franchise.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Dec 21, 2014 @ 6:16pm
WC4L420 Dec 21, 2014 @ 6:13pm 
I sadly never had a chance to truly try MW. I got it a long time ago for a pc that would barely run Quake 3 arena, but i never found time to play it. I completely agree though with what your saying, and the trend these days is pretty much to make an online game only. Really i think were gonna see a major shift from games that can be played by yourself to games that force you to play with others. It really sickens me, i bet behind all of this there is some deal game companies have with ISP"s that makes them both rich of forcing the world online.
zounce Dec 21, 2014 @ 6:15pm 
You've probably seen Hawken, but if you haven't check that out.
should let you know it's quite heavy F2P.
Last edited by zounce; Dec 21, 2014 @ 6:15pm
WC4L420 Dec 21, 2014 @ 6:19pm 
Originally posted by π:
You've probably seen Hawken, but if you haven't check that out.
should let you know it's quite heavy F2P.

I actually tried Hawken, but to me it felt really sluggish. Not my pc mind you just the overall feel of gameplay felt slow compared to everything else. Don't get me wrong they got something going especially if they're on steam now. And its Free to play, yes but all the mechs people want you have to pay for i believe. I'm not entirely about paying for content in a game that should have it for free. Personally this is the reason why i'm not gonna buy anymore season passes that come out. Ubisoft really made sure of that with the botched Watch_Dogs realease and content that was already ready for it that they sold at a premium. $90 for 501 hours of gameplay? I think i got ripped off personally.
Ah yes, mech games. I really enjoyed Mechassault 1 and 2 and Armored Core for Answer was a blast after I figured it out. So. Much. Customization. Lost Planet isn't bad either.
I really liked Mech Warrior. The Diashi was my favorite mech. Weren't they making a new game?
Spawn of Totoro Dec 21, 2014 @ 10:17pm 
Originally posted by Kainochi:
I really liked Mech Warrior. The Diashi was my favorite mech. Weren't they making a new game?

Yep. The one I linked to. It is now a F2P PvP game with no single player and borderline P2W.

Nothing like the previous ones.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Dec 21, 2014 @ 5:53pm