All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 1:39pm
3rd person only shooters
Why? It ruins the game for me. All of these devs could take my money if they just threw in a first person option. I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ hate how 3rd person cameras work! I'm not bashing people for using 3rd person, I just hate it when there is no option to go first person.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 79 comments
WhiteKnight77 Mar 3, 2015 @ 1:58pm 
Check out Ground Branch. It will be first person.
Manny Mar 3, 2015 @ 2:04pm 
For me, some shooters work better in third person, others in first person. I'm all for having the option of switching between the two in-game.
supertrooper225 Mar 3, 2015 @ 3:37pm 
Originally posted by Bluez n 2z:
For me, some shooters work better in third person, others in first person. I'm all for having the option of switching between the two in-game.

This guy gets it....but some games are just not meant to be played in first person and some games aren't meant to be played in 3rd person. It really depends on the gameplay. Having the option between the two is cool. But that is the exception...not the rule.
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 3:49pm 
Which shooters work better in 3rd person?
supertrooper225 Mar 3, 2015 @ 3:54pm 
Originally posted by stuffycheeks:
Which shooters work better in 3rd person?

Resident Evil games, Gears of War games, Spec Ops The Line to name a few..... First and third person shooters have a different feel. They are not interchangeable. Let's say I played RE 5 in first person....I would find that a horrible time. It just wouldn't work right. It isn't designed to be a first person game.

Then again it is hard to say which ones work better in third person because most of them don't have options. I have never played RE 5 in first person before....because it is not avaiable.
Last edited by supertrooper225; Mar 3, 2015 @ 3:54pm
Swegkart64 Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:11pm 
Why? It ruins the game for me. All of these devs could take my money if they just threw in a first person option. I ♥♥♥♥ing hate how 3rd person cameras work! I'm not bashing people for using 3rd person, I just hate it when there is no option to go first person.
Because games feel better in 3rd person,like Metal Gear Solid V.
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:14pm 
Maybe you would not do as well, but I could handle it, and would enjoy it way more than being some kind of strange floating camera like in mario 64.
supertrooper225 Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:18pm 
Maybe you would not do as well, but I could handle it, and would enjoy it way more than being some kind of strange floating camera like in mario 64.

Lol.....you are overstating it by a mile. 3rd person cameras have come a pretty long way since 96. It isn't about controls..... it is the game design. The graphics, character movement and shooting mechanics for 3rd person games are typically not designed for a first person camera most of the time. You can't just pop an FPS view in..... It would make the game actually less enjoyable to play unless it is designed for the view.
Last edited by supertrooper225; Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:19pm
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:44pm 
Almost all my games in my library have areas where the camera is constantly bugging out, and why do you guys keep on saying the games are built for 3rd person when they actually take it out of the engine which was built for it (such as unreal etc). aiming around corners? what ? give me specifics because all the games I play have been annoying.
supertrooper225 Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:47pm 
Almost all my games in my library have areas where the camera is constantly bugging out, and why do you guys keep on saying the games are built for 3rd person when they actually take it out of the engine which was built for it (such as unreal etc). aiming around corners? what ? give me specifics because all the games I play have been annoying.

How about you state the games that you have been playing?
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:49pm 
oh god I have over 100 games in my library you really want me to go list off instead of you just looking?
supertrooper225 Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:51pm 
I can't look at your library guy. Your profile is set to private. I imagine you have had this issue recently....you shouldn't really have any trouble remembering the games you are talking about.
Last edited by supertrooper225; Mar 3, 2015 @ 4:51pm
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 5:02pm 
off the top of my head? watch dogs, splinter cell, force unleashed, darksiders, gta (IV specifically), assassin's creed (locking on with ranged makes me miss 90% of the time on a moving target)
I know this is opposite of my argument but global agenda and saint's row III and beyond (ones i've played) are not too annoying mostly because the devs did not make tight cornered maps everywhere and the camera is steady and it feels like a first person.
supertrooper225 Mar 3, 2015 @ 5:10pm 
off the top of my head? watch dogs, splinter cell, force unleashed, darksiders, gta (IV specifically), assassin's creed (locking on with ranged makes me miss 90% of the time on a moving target)
I know this is opposite of my argument but global agenda and saint's row III and beyond (ones i've played) are not too annoying mostly because the devs did not make tight cornered maps everywhere and the camera is steady and it feels like a first person.

Cameras are a common problem with 3rd person games....doesnt' mean we should get rid of them. First Person shooters are like a plague right now....they are everywhere. They are different types of games.

Darksiders needs the 3rd person camera due to being a platformer (first person platformers aren't really all that common).

Didn't like Watch Dogs that much but my problem wasn't really with the camera.

GTA 4 didn't have a bad camera from what I remember....I didn't really have any trouble with it except maybe for the odd tight space. Which isn't all that common.

You aren't supposed to be shooting at moving targets in Assassins Creed unless they are moving straight toward you or away from you...of course you are missing. Maybe you are talking about Unity...I haven't played that one.

Haven't played The Force Unleashed since it came out....I don't remember much about it.

Haven't played Agenda and Saints Row 3 doesn't really have the best shooting mechanics. I actually prefer an over the shoulder style camera if the game is in third person.

Then again....I played too much Resident Evil. You want to see some awful ass camera angles? Check out the first few RE games or the REmake on Steam. I played those games so much that I have no trouble with THOSE angles. So I guess I am not really one to talk. It just doesn't bug me.

3rd person games these days give you a ton of control over camera angles. They operate a lot like FPS games now in terms of control. I might just be used to the real crappy cameras back in the day...the cameras today are perfect in comparison.
Last edited by supertrooper225; Mar 3, 2015 @ 5:15pm
Bookhead Mar 3, 2015 @ 5:16pm 
I'm not saying to abolish the 3rd person camera, I'm saying that companies would make money by making a first person option. Such as the elder scrolls engine (fallout 3 and NV as well) and GTA:V is as well (waiting for PC version is worth it) along with some others. I like to think that there is nothing wrong with playing in 3rd person as I said before, I just don't want it for myself and I see these great games which are not fun for me because of that. Oh also the transformers shooter that came out a while back made me quit cuz the camera too =/
Last edited by Bookhead; Mar 3, 2015 @ 5:16pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 79 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Mar 3, 2015 @ 1:39pm