All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
This topic has been locked
Illimitus May 12, 2014 @ 10:42pm
Origin's anti-Steam strategy
It appears the bigs at EA want to muscle steam out of the predominant PC vendor slot.

Their strategy? Get folks to sign up to get free games and promotions; think of it as a loss leader strategy.
Last edited by Illimitus; May 12, 2014 @ 10:42pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Fork_Q2 (Banned) May 12, 2014 @ 10:43pm 
Eh, not like anyone's complaining about free games.
Illimitus May 12, 2014 @ 10:45pm 
exactly, its a good strategy
Fork_Q2 (Banned) May 12, 2014 @ 10:49pm 
Still, you know what would be a better tactic for them? Bring down the prices of their games and DLC. I don't think the price of DLC for ME3 has ever gone down.
Origin wants to beat Steam ??
ha ha
funny
Fork_Q2 (Banned) May 12, 2014 @ 11:04pm 
Originally posted by Assassin_c:
Origin wants to beat Steam ??
ha ha
funny

I think they know they'll never beat Steam, but they still want a big piece of that big juicy digital distribution market-share ♥♥♥.
Emperor Zombie May 13, 2014 @ 12:11am 
Yep, its not like Valve has ever given away a game they own for free. I mean doing somthing like that would likely crash their servers. *cough* L4D2 *cough*
Dune Jumper May 13, 2014 @ 12:18am 
I'm not complaining. In fact I'm finding Origin more enjoyable than Steam at this point.
Oh no! They're trying to lure you in to use Origin! It's all a big conspiracy!
...Who cares? It's free games! It's not like there are any actual reasons to boycott Origin. The software works fine. In fact it does some things better than Steam.
Last edited by Dune Jumper; May 13, 2014 @ 12:26am
Talon May 13, 2014 @ 12:20am 
Free?

No thanks. Still not installing Origin.
Yosshi May 13, 2014 @ 1:48am 
but they have the big advantage that they can bind all new games they publish to origin. The biggest reason that i didnt buy EA Games in the years
marianne~ May 13, 2014 @ 4:51am 
I'm fairly new to gaming. I've been to other sites, but am only active with Steam and GOG. So I hope this isn't a stupid question, but there are a lot of negative comments on both sites re Origin and sometimes EA. Not being very familiar with them, I am wondering why. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic., I just don;t know.
So they're giving their games away for free and then what? Adding a ton of "micro"transactions?
I'd rather just pay once for a game...
Spawn of Totoro May 13, 2014 @ 6:32am 
Steam has many free games available, even with no micro-transactions.

http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/8x4xy/list-of-all-free-games-on-steam

And that isn't even a complete list.

Two that are missing are:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/283880
http://store.steampowered.com/app/286100

Another thing to consider, Origin owns 99% of the games in their store. They get 100% profit and full control. They don't have to ask a developer if they can put a game up for free, discount, or refund.

Originally posted by Emperor Zombie:
Yep, its not like Valve has ever given away a game they own for free. I mean doing somthing like that would likely crash their servers. *cough* L4D2 *cough*

Yep. Two of the most recent ones were L4D2 and Red Orchestra 2.

I've always found it funny how a company can get people excited over something they rarely do when the other has already been doing it and with more available.

Still, a free game is a free game. ;-)
Mac Tonight (Banned) May 13, 2014 @ 7:06am 
Don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that
Dune Jumper May 13, 2014 @ 11:55am 
Originally posted by marianne929:
I'm fairly new to gaming. I've been to other sites, but am only active with Steam and GOG. So I hope this isn't a stupid question, but there are a lot of negative comments on both sites re Origin and sometimes EA. Not being very familiar with them, I am wondering why. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic., I just don;t know.
I think the people leaving negative comments about Origin don't like it JUST because they don't like EA. Origin is a fully working software that I haven't had any problems with.
Fork_Q2 (Banned) May 13, 2014 @ 11:57am 
Originally posted by Dune Jumper:
Originally posted by marianne929:
I think the people leaving negative comments about Origin don't like it JUST because they don't like EA. Origin is a fully working software that I haven't had any problems with.

Feature limited compared to Steam, but it's easier to look at and easier to use. Plus, it is written in QT!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: May 12, 2014 @ 10:42pm