Összes téma > Steam fórumok > Off Topic > Téma részletei
I suck at math.. should I keep going for Computer Science?
I understand how math is about how things relate, not only number crunching. But I'm way behind the curve than everyone else sometimes.... for instance, my algebra sucks.. I basically have NO LIFE since I'm on Khan academy all the time, I barely finished 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. I've got 400,000+ points on Khan academy. But I am in a intro to Java programming class and I feel like I'm out of my league. I spend all my weekends getting concepts that people understood on the day of lecture. I just want to learn how to program to make RPG games like my favorites Suikoden, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Secret of Mana. I don't want to learn how to program to work for the government and number crunch. I have visions and dreams but I don't think I have the skillset like other people bred for success.. what do you guys think?

BTW I failed Trigonometry and Statistics, getting a D for both classes. I am retaking Statistics now and I am actually one of the top students but still I feel inept at math.
Legutóbb szerkesztette: Dot; 2014. ápr. 1., 15:21
< >
115/19 megjegyzés mutatása
If you put all your effort into learning math with poor results, you're simply not that type of guy. Of course, it's my opinion on this.
It depends on what you want to do in computer science. Creating video games generally doesn't require as much math as logical thinking. I read this on the internet somewhere: computer science involves a lot of LoL. No, not League of Legends - lots of logic. Math is very useful for computer science, but it's not necessarily necessary to memorize every single algebraic equation and whatnot.
computer science?
hell yeah.
I don't recommend it, sorry buddy...
Legutóbb szerkesztette: Lucifer Sam; 2014. ápr. 1., 15:37
Sorry bud, but CS is pretty much applied mathematics. If you genuinely suck at maths no matter the effort you put in, give it up. It's not necessarily your or anyone else's fault:

http://blog.codinghorror.com/separating-programming-sheep-from-non-programming-goats/

No matter, CS is generally over-subscribed, has an extremely high drop-out rate and low student satisfaction. If your intentions was to program and not solve esoteric CS problems, you are better off taking MOOC courses and other online resources for free.
My boss can't spell, puts up signs with mistakes in them all the time. And he's been to university!!!
Carlsberg eredeti hozzászólása:
My boss can't spell, puts up signs with mistakes in them all the time. And he's been to university!!!
That's because your boss probably was born in the no kid left behind era, when our education system became horrible.
I wouldn't reccomend it.

Do what you love, but do it well.

For example, i'm top of my debate team, i can keep up an argument and research a topic well, meanwhile i minor in Biological science, but try to understand it as much as possible, because let's face it debate would only get me a political career and i hate feminists, MRA, politicians in general and hippies.
Carlsberg eredeti hozzászólása:
That's because your boss probably was born in the no kid left behind era, when our education system became horrible.
Why would his boss be no older than 13? Aren't there child labor laws?
Dendrobates Tinctorius eredeti hozzászólása:
No kid left behind was in the early 70s-late 80s
Dendrobates Tinctorius eredeti hozzászólása:
No kid left behind was in the early 70s-late 80s

R u shure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act
Well, that was a strange word it censored out.
Legutóbb szerkesztette: Fork_Q2; 2014. ápr. 2., 11:36
It seems i was mistaken.

Oh well, i think i meant Barney Generation, but that would imply his boss is a manchild and never learned to grow up...
It seems i was mistaken.

Oh well, i think i meant Barney Generation, but that would imply his boss is a manchild and never learned to grow up...
Do you even history bro... :conwayfacepalm:
LimeA Toasty Engineer eredeti hozzászólása:
It seems i was mistaken.

Do you even history bro... :conwayfacepalm:
No, but i Science, debate and insult :3
< >
115/19 megjegyzés mutatása
Laponként: 1530 50

Összes téma > Steam fórumok > Off Topic > Téma részletei
Közzétéve: 2014. ápr. 1., 15:20