How to run DOS game on Win 7
I have a hard copy of the original "The Need for Speed" and i can't figure out how to run it on windows 7. I have DOSbox and imgburner (saw it on a tutorial on internet) but i have no idea where to start with these tools.
< >
6 yorumdan 1 ile 6 arası gösteriliyor
Use DOSBox. If you have no idea, download any of the GUIs for DOSBox from the DOSBox page.
İlk olarak Newb Hunter tarafından gönderildi:
I have a hard copy of the original "The Need for Speed"
congrats

NFS probably doesn't have a Win95 version, so DosBox is the only way to go. First, you must create a directory for the emulator to use it as "hard drive" (mounting entire C: drive is risky, C:\DOSBOX folder is good example). Insert the game disc, launch DosBox and type:

mount c <path to your dos stuff directory>
mount d <cd drive path with backslash, f:\ for example> -t cdrom (-t cdrom initializes mscdex and treats this "drive" as CD)

Don't forget to change the current drive before proceeding with installation. Installer might report not enough disk space to install all components, but I'm not sure how to solve this. Also CD audio plays only when the disc is in the first CD drive, but it can be solved by changing drive letter in Windows settings.

If for some reason using physical disc doesn't work or you don't want to insert it each time you want to play, create the image of it with ImgBurn (BIN/CUE format, preserves CD audio unlike ISO), mount it with virtual drive (like Daemon Tools) and proceed with mounting. You might also experiment with IMGMOUNT command in DosBox for direct mounting.

Tried my best to explain it in understandable way, so you know.
İlk olarak Hayachan tarafından gönderildi:
kool instruktionz
this.

ooorr install Windows 95 on a virtual machine as pre-XP Windows are DOS-based and should therefore run DOS programs without any fuss.
But I guess DosBox is still a simpler way, assuming NFS works with it.
En son zert tarafından düzenlendi; 11 Mar 2014 @ 16:04
Bagmeister (Yasaklı) 11 Mar 2014 @ 16:24 
congrats

NFS probably doesn't have a Win95 version, so DosBox is the only way to go. First, you must create a directory for the emulator to use it as "hard drive" (mounting entire C: drive is risky, C:\DOSBOX folder is good example). Insert the game disc, launch DosBox and type:

mount c <path to your dos stuff directory>
mount d <cd drive path with backslash, f:\ for example> -t cdrom (-t cdrom initializes mscdex and treats this "drive" as CD)

Don't forget to change the current drive before proceeding with installation. Installer might report not enough disk space to install all components, but I'm not sure how to solve this. Also CD audio plays only when the disc is in the first CD drive, but it can be solved by changing drive letter in Windows settings.

If for some reason using physical disc doesn't work or you don't want to insert it each time you want to play, create the image of it with ImgBurn (BIN/CUE format, preserves CD audio unlike ISO), mount it with virtual drive (like Daemon Tools) and proceed with mounting. You might also experiment with IMGMOUNT command in DosBox for direct mounting.

Tried my best to explain it in understandable way, so you know.
I did the mount commands but nothing happened and i sill cant install the game or anything so im at a loss here.
En son Bagmeister tarafından düzenlendi; 11 Mar 2014 @ 16:24
You know, mounting only allows DosBox to see the contents of selected directory as a virtual drive. You still need to run installation thru DosBox. (previous post of mine assumed basic knowledge of DOS commands)
If you thought that you could install the game normally in Windows after mounting in DB, let's just say that "what happens in DOSBox, stays in DOSBox" (in terms that it doesn't mess up your Windows settings).
If mount commands didn't return any error, type
D: (change drive to CD)
and then "install/setup.bat/exe" (not sure how it's called, you can run "dir /p" command to look for the correct file).

If you manage to successfully install NFS and want to use DosBox only for that one precious game, consider putting mounting/launching commands in dosbox.conf (there's shortcut to it in Start Menu) under the autoexec section. Something like this:
mount c c:\dosbox
mount d f:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd nfs
nfs
exit

Hope it helps a bit.
En son Raiden tarafından düzenlendi; 12 Mar 2014 @ 9:06
You know, mounting only allows DosBox to see the contents of selected directory as a virtual drive. You still need to run installation thru DosBox. (previous post of mine assumed basic knowledge of DOS commands)
If you thought that you could install the game normally in Windows after mounting in DB, let's just say that "what happens in DOSBox, stays in DOSBox" (in terms that it doesn't mess up your Windows settings).
If mount commands didn't return any error, type
D: (change drive to CD)
and then "install/setup.bat/exe" (not sure how it's called, you can run "dir /p" command to look for the correct file).

If you manage to successfully install NFS and want to use DosBox only for that one precious game, consider putting mounting/launching commands in dosbox.conf (there's shortcut to it in Start Menu) under the autoexec section. Something like this:
mount c c:\dosbox
mount d f:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd nfs
nfs
exit

Hope it helps a bit.
Thanks i got it to work!
< >
6 yorumdan 1 ile 6 arası gösteriliyor
Sayfa başına: 1530 50

Gönderilme Tarihi: 11 Mar 2014 @ 14:21