Legend of Zelda & Nintendo
Is it me or is Legend of Zelda not nearly as popular as it use to be. Same goes with Nintendo their consoles are always a generation behinde (hardware wise). Do you think their dieing in a way?
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
He who can't be Named! Feb 20 @ 5:10pm 
I think they are Half-Dead!
It's a shame as I spent my youth wasting time on NES, SNES!
Last edited by He who can't be Named!; Feb 20 @ 5:11pm
Originally posted by SmiteMeister:
I wouldn't consinder it wasting if you were entertained. But I agree they are basically digging them selves a hole trying these new product ideas that no one is likeing much. Also I still play some Nes and Snes games since it does have a good collection. But that is the major issue with Nintendo no one is making great games for them any more and neither are them selves.
Cardboard Incarnate Feb 20 @ 5:19pm 
Originally posted by SmiteMeister:
they are living a half-life.
their consoles can't even run half-life
Silverfox Feb 20 @ 5:54pm 
Hmmm... I actually think they're far better than sony and microsoft, who are just trying to make gimped PC's. Nintendo's actually trying out interesting things, and their games continue to impress me. Who the heck cares about hardware, when their ideas are creative and pure fun.
intok Feb 21 @ 12:13am 
They peaked with Link To The Past and Link's Awakening. From there it stagnated and rode on momentum.

Furthermore, they never let Link grow up.

I, like many people in their late 20's and early 30's grew up looking at the images in the original LoZ manual, watching the show on Saturday morning and reading the comics in Nintendo Power. All of which had a darker and more foreboding style. While the modern era games have gone the opposite way to candy coat the look and feel to appeal to younger audiences.

---

Originally posted by Silverfox:
Hmmm... I actually think they're far better than sony and microsoft, who are just trying to make gimped PC's.
Actually Sony and MS made a good strategic decision since most devs these days have little to no experience with non x86 based hardware. It's not like the old days where there where a dozen variants of MIPS, Sparc, 68k, ARM, x86 etc consumer computer out there with every dev having a programming background not just of multiple OSs but also multiple hardware architectures.

Back in the old days the new grads had this background, but these days they don't, hence all the complaints that the PS3's POWER architecture based Cell CPU was hard to program for since the devs likely only ever dealt with x86 CPUs.

By going with x86, the dominant architecture for programmers to have learned on means that they only have to worry about the devs learning the OS, which is pretty much a given that they have learned how to write for the Microsoft NT kernel as well as have some background in Linux and/or BSD since most programmers prefer Linux as it's generally got the better programming tools and is easier to learn on since it's open source.

Best analogy I can think of: old school devs where multilingual, while the new ones only speak one language.

/thread derailment.
Hmmm... I actually think they're far better than sony and microsoft, who are just trying to make gimped PC's. Nintendo's actually trying out interesting things, and their games continue to impress me. Who the heck cares about hardware, when their ideas are creative and pure fun.
Me and alot of others. Better hardware = Better Fps,graphics and over all performance.
LaTaleFan1985 Feb 21 @ 3:29pm 
Nintendo really needs to rethink their strategy if they want to stay relevant in the gaming business.:P
Originally posted by LitchiFayeLingFan:
Nintendo really needs to rethink their strategy if they want to stay relevant in the gaming business.:P
Well I agree but their putting their consoles out a few months before the others because they know if they put it out at the same time it won't sell as well. So I guess for the situation their in (not being able to make a next-gen console) it's an okay strategy. But still they won't around for a long time if they keep it up with being behinde a generation.
Quint S. Meade Feb 21 @ 9:55pm 
I think the Zelda series is as popular as it's ever been. it just seemed more popular back in the day because Nintendo basically had no competition for market share in the game console business. But today, the consumer-base of the video game industry has grown drastically, as playing videogames has grown from the hobby of a few dedicated crazy "gamers" to something that many people do regularly. And in fact, one of the biggest things that Nintendo did with the Wii (which remains a stupid, albeit successful, name) was to expand this customer base and to get people who don't identify as gamers to buy the system.

And say what you will about systems' hardware for the major console manufacturers these days, but Nintendo consistently makes really darn good first-party games, and frankly speaking, selection of games is what I care most about, rather than using my game box as a multimedia device or something.

(not being able to make a next-gen console)

We've basically gotten to a point where exact hardware capability is no longer really a limiting factor in the types of games we can develop. If anything, time and money themselves are now the limiting factors, as we have AAA games that take many millions to make and yet must still sell like hotcakes at full price just to break even. At that point, I think we as gamers should be asking not for "next-gen hardware" but rather for games that actually make good use of what we have.
Last edited by Quint S. Meade; Feb 21 @ 9:57pm
Silverfox Feb 21 @ 11:15pm 
Originally posted by Onion Layers:
Me and alot of others. Better hardware = Better Fps,graphics and over all performance.
Yeah, but better hardware also means that the console will be more expensive. Overall though, nintendo is fine being in the niche market, if the Wii U fails, The revenue from the 3DS will be more than enough to hold them over. I suppose it's just a matter of opinion, but I can't be the only one that thinks fun wins out over graphics and performance.
Quint S. Meade Feb 22 @ 2:57am 
Yeah, but better hardware also means that the console will be more expensive.

This. I'll be completely honest here: the high cost of game systems makes me not want to buy them. If game systems cost a fifth of what they do, I would probably own a Wii ($250 => $50) and a 3DS ($150 => $30, I think)...though that PS3 famously selling for Five Hundred Ninety Nine Yuu Ess Dollars is still a bridge too far when discounted to $120.

Meanwhile, instead, I've spent that money on a bunch of PC games, because I don't have to buy new hardware every few years to keep up with stuff.
Last edited by Quint S. Meade; Feb 22 @ 3:01am
Silverfox Feb 22 @ 3:01am 
Originally posted by QuintSakugarne:
Yeah, but better hardware also means that the console will be more expensive.

This. I'll be completely honest here: if game systems cost a fifth of what they do, I would probably own a Wii and a 3DS. Meanwhile, instead, I've spent that money on a bunch of PC games.
Yeah, I still don't own a Wii U, got a 3DS though, and loving it.
hypeee akKy Feb 22 @ 7:55am 
NINTENDO MASTER RACE
TheRetrodude Feb 22 @ 8:24am 
Nintendo's games are just as good as ever, IMO. The main problem they're facing right now is the fact that the majority of consoles of the original Wii were sold to casuals and other people who generally wouldn't have bought a console for any reason other than viewing it as being easy to use, inexpensive, and/or a simple way to get exercise. Unforunately, these people are having a hard time understanding that the Wii U isn't a ridiculously priced $300 tablet controller to play newer Wii games on. It also doesn't help that the hype for casual console gaming has died down considerably as the same people have moved on to mobile games on iOS and Android. Personally, though, I think Nintendo made enough the past generation between the Wii and DS being so lucrative that they can at least scrape by this generation with enough work put in.
Silverfox Feb 22 @ 8:27am 
Originally posted by TheRetrodude:
Nintendo's games are just as good as ever, IMO. The main problem they're facing right now is the fact that the majority of consoles of the original Wii were sold to casuals and other people who generally wouldn't have bought a console for any reason other than viewing it as being easy to use, inexpensive, and/or a simple way to get exercise. Unforunately, these people are having a hard time understanding that the Wii U isn't a ridiculously priced $300 tablet controller to play newer Wii games on. It also doesn't help that the hype for casual console gaming has died down considerably as the same people have moved on to mobile games on iOS and Android. Personally, though, I think Nintendo made enough the past generation between the Wii and DS being so lucrative that they can at least scrape by this generation with enough work put in.
Yeah, their third party problem isn't helping either. Also it has gotten better, especially with the 3DS. Doesn't really matter to me though, I've always thought the nintendo consoles were worth it just for the first party games.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 20 @ 5:08pm