Redirect Virus, need help!!
I don't know if this is in the right sub-forum but if it isn't plz let me know. Now to brass tacks I'm sure many of you have had or at least heard of the Google Redirect Virus that hijacks your searches and takes you too a fake site, but i was wondering what you guys did to rid your system of it as it is a nasty bugger that some of the best malware and anti-virus suites have missed! I have done everything short of re-installing my OS or taking it in to a PC repair/service shop and spending $100+ to get it removed.

I am looking for actual answers and solutions NOT OPINIONS! I also want to hear from people who have had this virus and also want to know if it does anything aside from annoy and try to get you to download or buy stuff, rumor has it it also attempts to steal bank accounts which is my only real concern. Sorry to be so strict I just can't afford to have misinformation that could further complicate things!! Thanks!
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Wolfy (Pink) (Banned) Feb 17 @ 1:04am 
I actually knew how to fix this when AOL hijacked my computer with a bug in their system.
I'm so sorry I don't remember how I fixed it.
that's ok I'm just doing everything i can to avoid having to spend a ton of money on virus removal or having to do a clean OS re-install and avoiding the internet as much as possible especially when it comes to online purchases as that tends to be a big risk.
Shasow Feb 17 @ 1:24am 
Why not just reinstall your OS? Backup any files you need and you're good. It's not a bad idea to start clean every once in a while.
Originally posted by Shasow:
Why not just reinstall your OS? Backup any files you need and you're good. It's not a bad idea to start clean every once in a while.
wel.... I don't have a spare drive although i do have a back-up located in a different folder from the first time i had to do a re-install but that was from a recovery that a PC tech did during a system purge.
Mighty Monstro Feb 17 @ 2:09am 
Go to system --> control panel --> programs --> uninstall programs. Find the name of what hijacked ur search provider then uninstall it. also just to be safe check ur settings when u open your browser and delete personal settings and run a virus scanner. im no genius but those hijacking website things annoyed the heck out of me so i learned how to remove them.
XanaX Feb 17 @ 2:57am 
Try with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to clean your computer
DesTroll Feb 17 @ 8:33am 
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-google-redirect-virus/

^Read this article/guide.^

Be warned though that the method described will be rather time consuming and will purge a lot of your online files, logins, passwords, etc.. so write down whatever login details you have trouble remembering on a sheet of paper first, and destroy the paper when you're done.
Don't forget to change your passwords later on after the process is complete just in case any of your information has been hijacked by the malware.

It will require you to download some programs, but they are free and there won't be anything preventing you from uninstalling them when you're all set.
OMFG I spent 6 hours yesterday using malwarebytes, hitman pro, DNS Flush,TDSSKill, Microsoft safety scanner and MSR and I still have the damn thing I really want the person who made this virus to dissapear from the face of the earth, I'm just gonna have to uninstall chrome and possibly my OS ♥♥♥♥es me off these people should not be on earth if they can't earn money the honest way without ruining other peoples lives by stealing their personal information.
I thank everyone for their help but it seems that nothing I have done is working I'm tired of spending hours trying to rid the PC of this and I have to say if what i did didn't work then nothing will.
I think i'll be ok?
I have posted a similar topic like this I have the pain in the butt google redirect virus and have had it for about 6 months and my too biggest concerns with a virus is having personal information stolen and ransomware, though so far i haven't had any issues I figure if i stop ordering off of ebay and amazon as well as other sites at least on my PC I should be ok as i seem to get most of the redirects from amazon or ebay, does this sound right? I am remaining positive despite my failing trust for anything that has to do with the Internet.
Hextravert Feb 17 @ 2:02pm 
Originally posted by ARmodder:
I have posted a similar topic like this I have the pain in the butt google redirect virus and have had it for about 6 months and my too biggest concerns with a virus is having personal information stolen and ransomware, though so far i haven't had any issues I figure if i stop ordering off of ebay and amazon as well as other sites at least on my PC I should be ok as i seem to get most of the redirects from amazon or ebay, does this sound right? I am remaining positive despite my failing trust for anything that has to do with the Internet.
6 month! Your optimistic outlook surprises me. You have to get rid of the virus in question, otherwise your biggest fears will become reality (if they haven't already).

Let's face it, 6 months is an awfully long time.
Dead Pixel Feb 17 @ 3:16pm 
I see many sites about how to get rid of it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5842581_remove-google-redirect-virus.html
Hølland601 Feb 17 @ 4:49pm 
dude if i had a virus like that I would not even have my computer on. just download ubuntu and move on with the OS that you have because in the state that your computer is in, they can steal every single one of your passwords/accounts and sell them online, They can even watch your screen. get unetbootin and download unbuntu on your computer or on a flash drive. I am not one to promote linux but really you don't even haft to have an anit virus for linux becasue you would haft to allow the virus to do somthing or even to act as a virus does.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 16 @ 11:30pm