All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
wburton Feb 3, 2014 @ 10:12pm
Modeling software?
Found some interesting 3d software while browsing the internet. Not sure which one I should invest my time in. I found TrueSpace 7.6, Gmax, Hexagon, and Milkshape. Also looked at blender but I don't like its messy ui.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Blender is under active development and is fairly feature complete, so it's probably the best choice.
pussy poppin Feb 4, 2014 @ 12:00am 
Blender has come a long way, and tbh its more intuitive than ever. Already compared to other programs like 3dsmax, and cinema4d, and have found no problem in using blender over those.
WhiteKnight77 Feb 4, 2014 @ 4:10am 
GMax is a stripped down version of 3DSM and made by the same company as 3DSM.
GenPattonBR Feb 4, 2014 @ 4:29am 
Have you looked at Maya ?
xeratdragons Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:32am 
http://puu.sh/6IUFg.jpg this is my dragon test armature you like
xeratdragons Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:32am 
?
Pontifex Feb 4, 2014 @ 7:06am 
Blender is quite good, but I don't like it myself. I rather use gmax, it's fairly enough for me now - a less complex version of 3DS Max. Also, if you are interested in a very simple way for a very simple modelling, it can be done with Valve Hammer Editor, then .vmf exported to .smd and optionally compiled to .mdl with Propper.
xeratdragons Feb 4, 2014 @ 7:59am 
Pontifex you like my dragon?
wburton Feb 4, 2014 @ 3:47pm 
Originally posted by Pontifex:
Blender is quite good, but I don't like it myself. I rather use gmax, it's fairly enough for me now - a less complex version of 3DS Max. Also, if you are interested in a very simple way for a very simple modelling, it can be done with Valve Hammer Editor, then .vmf exported to .smd and optionally compiled to .mdl with Propper.

I feel the same way. I need a program that is simple to use yet powerful.
wburton Feb 4, 2014 @ 3:50pm 
I actually started out with blender 4yrs ago before the ui change. Still confused with the program.
Touching Hair Feb 4, 2014 @ 4:42pm 
I was taught using 3ds Max and that's what I've grown to love.

I've tried multiple times to get along with Blender but I always find it's UI to be quite frustrating.
I love ZBrush, you should give it a try, It's very intuitive yet powerful. Maya is great, too.
Last edited by I like girls <Logitech>; Feb 4, 2014 @ 4:51pm
wburton Feb 4, 2014 @ 5:20pm 
Originally posted by {KoR}C.C.:
I love ZBrush, you should give it a try, It's very intuitive yet powerful. Maya is great, too.

Zbrush is digital sculpting, best used to make textures. Also got mudbox, 3d-coat, pixologic Sculptris (free), and blender for sculpting.
Last edited by wburton; Feb 4, 2014 @ 5:25pm
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Feb 3, 2014 @ 10:12pm