Silicon Vampire Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:03pm
So, what do Chrome users feel about the new policy of disabling extensions...
without the users consent?

If they are willing to violate my privacy to that extent at their whim, I'm finding another browser and search engine.

They stepped WAY over the line here.

They say it's a security precaution.

It isn't. It is about money and control of information. I've been pro-Google for years... but no more.

I think they stepped on their own crank with this one.
Showing 1-15 of 213 comments
< >
snh Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:14pm 
If disabling extensions means I can no longer use AdBlocker, I'd be highly upset.

On another note, it seems all major browsers are slowly, but surely moving toward this. Time to write my own browser.
Last edited by snh; Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:15pm
Shasow Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:18pm 
I don't care. They can already remove extensions from the store. If they wanted users not to use AdBlock, they would have removed it by now.
PyroPanda Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:25pm 
Never liked crome.
Silicon Vampire Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:27pm 
I'm not sure you understand the scope of what they have done...

Legitimate extensions are being disabled even for retail AV packages, making AV ineffective when browsing, among many other legit extensions that get disabled without the users consent and you can not re-enable them...
Last edited by Silicon Vampire; Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:28pm
Fire Walk With Me (Banned) Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:28pm 
do you have a link from a good writer/publication? first I've heard of it.
Shasow Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:30pm 
Originally posted by Silicon Vampire:
I'm not sure you understand the scope of what they have done...

Legitimate extensions are being disabled even for retail AV packages, making AV ineffective when browsing, among many other legit extensions that get disabled without the users consent and you can not re-enable them...
Nothing is being disabled for me. AV is still running fine....
Silicon Vampire Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:33pm 
If the AV company has paid Google, they allow it to run.
Fire Walk With Me (Banned) Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:35pm 
For me Google is a greater good type of company. they have so many fingers in so many piles now that I personally weigh the good they do with the bad and they are miles in the good category. I expect a company growing at their rate to involve themselves in general evil from time to time.

This one I'll look the other way on.
Last edited by Fire Walk With Me; Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:35pm
Shasow Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:40pm 
If the AV company has paid Google, they allow it to run.
And how do you know this? Do you work at Google?
Silicon Vampire Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:44pm 
I've been following the last several days of this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/give-feature-feedback-and-suggestions/windows8/Stable/d35tIyH8dVM[1026-1050-true]

The above link doesn't work. I think they are trying limit visibility on this issue. Working on it... there, this link should even bring you close to most recent posts.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fproductforums.google.com%2Fd%2Ftopic%2Fchrome%2FCAURUQGkSlU&ei=jbicU9-VLJKkyATJjoKwDA&usg=AFQjCNHiCFPPRKvaGwNLP4kRZ7YDWAZzQw&sig2=ZNl3lvktO3in4HuBcsBtpQ&bvm=bv.68911936,d.aWw

Be aware, it is a very slow, cumbersome forum. Latest post last. (which looked as though they changed from two days ago to make it harder to find and follow...)
Last edited by Silicon Vampire; Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:06pm
Fire Walk With Me (Banned) Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:00pm 
Iink doesn't work. I think they are trying limit visibility on this issue. Working on it...

As a small aside, this is a very common tactic for your group both Valve and developer sanctioned. I don't know if you have ever taken part, but many of your fellow forum mods are big fans of "merging duplicate topics" to kill information.
Silicon Vampire Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:08pm 
We merge posts to consolidate info, not hide it. Google started to actively delete any response earlier today. I mean any... I had three removed that were defiantly not offensive or breaking any rules.
Last edited by Silicon Vampire; Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:09pm
Fire Walk With Me (Banned) Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:10pm 
lol, k.
Silicon Vampire Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:14pm 
LOL is right. Suddenly, all the deleted posts are back.
Satoru Jun 14, 2014 @ 2:30pm 
But chrome and Firefox do that already for things like Java and flash. Am I missing something on this new policy?
Showing 1-15 of 213 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 14, 2014 @ 1:03pm