All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
RADKILLA[420] (Banned) Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:14pm
Create our own profile backgrounds?YES/NO?
Dont you think you should be able to totally customize your own personal profile background?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 93 comments
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:16pm 
I see no reason to do so. It takes the fun out of trying to trade/buy your way to the profile background you want. And for Valve, the fact that people can't make their own is a big money-maker for them. The Steam Community Market generates a ton of revenue.
RADKILLA[420] (Banned) Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:20pm 
so making money for steam is more important to u than being able to customize your own profile the way you want ?without having to buy something from them?......ru a valve employee with stock shares?i think the option would be nice.after all variety is the spice of life.and the best things in life are free.
Last edited by RADKILLA[420]; Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:22pm
Originally posted by RADKILLA420:
so making money for steam is more important to u than being able to customize your own profile the way you want ?without having to buy something from them?......ru a valve employee with stock shares?i think the option would be nice.after all variety is the spice of life.

Thats how valve works, you have backgrounds because $$$

Just the truth of the matter.

Option = hentai pr0n galore though....
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:24pm 
so making money for steam is more important to u than being able to customize your own profile the way you want ?without having to buy something from them?......ru a valve employee with stock shares?

Considering I'm perfectly happy with my current background, I don't see why I'd need to create my own.

Also, when did I say that making money off of the Market is more important than being able to customize a background? Oh right, I never did. I'm saying that on Valve's side there's no reason for it. It would destroy a large source of revenue for them, which, if you're a business, is the worst possible move you could make.
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:25pm 
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™:
so making money for steam is more important to u than being able to customize your own profile the way you want ?without having to buy something from them?......ru a valve employee with stock shares?i think the option would be nice.after all variety is the spice of life.

This. It would be heavily abused. I forgot to mention that.

Also, you'd have to have a big server to store all the custom images people would upload rather than including them in the client itself.
RADKILLA[420] (Banned) Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:25pm 
your main reason again is $$$ for steam.
RADKILLA[420] (Banned) Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:26pm 
oh and team fortress isnt full of hentai?
Shasow Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:27pm 
Originally posted by FuG chibilibi:
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™:

Also, you'd have to have a big server to store all the custom images people would upload rather than including them in the client itself.
Just like avatars?
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:27pm 
and the best things in life are free.

Here's some song lyrics for you:

Originally posted by No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant:
"Oh no, there ain't no rest for the wicked,
money don't grow on trees,
I got bills to pay, got mouths to feed,
there ain't nothin' in this world for free"
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:28pm 
Originally posted by Shasow:
Originally posted by FuG chibilibi:

Just like avatars?

Yeah, but it would take up more space. Profile backgrounds are generally higher resolution than a profile picture.
RADKILLA[420] (Banned) Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:28pm 
all the best things in life are free.some random crappy lyric doesnt prove it wrong.sorry.
Ailes Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:29pm 
The "it would be abused" things isn't really a valid point. If you argue that way all the billion forums and communities around the world would have to close down because they allow you to use individual art. Valve is a company that wants to make money, not some half-charitable social networking organization. But there are plenty of ways to deal with harmful content. Like moderators, backchecks with some dictionaries or image databases or by allowing "some" customization. I suppose law-wise they could just push all responsibility down to the users. "Valve is not responsible for harmful content created by the community. By accepting our community guidelines you..." or so.

You could probably try to abuse the tagging system too. Or the reviewing. Or all you write and put up here. Where you wanna draw the line?
Last edited by Ailes; Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:31pm
RADKILLA[420] (Banned) Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:38pm 
chibibili.wouldnt they get rid of sprays in steams 2nd most popular game(tf2),if that was the problem?because someone could just report anything abusive or harmfull anyways.do u want to also have to buy a spray?
Last edited by RADKILLA[420]; Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:39pm
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:41pm 
Originally posted by Clarity:
The "it would be abused" things isn't really a valid point. If you argue that way all the billion forums and communities around the world would have to close down because they allow you to use individual art. Valve is a company that wants to make money, not some half-charitable social networking organization. But there are plenty of ways to deal with harmful content. Like moderators, backchecks with some dictionaries or image databases or by allowing "some" customization. I suppose law-wise they could just push all responsibility down to the users. "Valve is not responsible for harmful content created by the community. By accepting our community guidelines you..." or so.

You could probably try to abuse the tagging system too. Or the reviewing. Or all you write and put up here. Where you wanna draw the line?

They wouldn't have to close down; Valve wouldn't even neccessarily have to close down Steam because of abused profile backgrounds, especially if they pushed all responsibility to the users. It just WOULD be abused. That's a fact.

Still, I guess you are right about how it can be combated, especially with moderators. I guess it would work like the current system for reporting posts; you'd just report a profile with a "harmful" or "offensive" background.

all the best things in life are free.some random crappy lyric doesnt prove it wrong.sorry.

Technically, cancerous growths developing in your body are free. Is that one of the best things?
chibilibi Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:46pm 
chibibili.wouldnt they get rid of sprays in steams 2nd most popular game(tf2),if that was the problem?because someone could just report anything abusive or harmfull anyways.do u want to also have to buy a spray?

4 things:

Sprays in TF2 can be turned off.
Sprays in TF2 are still abused anyway (as stated in my previous post, I was incorrect to say that offensive or harmful content is a reason to not have custom backgrounds).
On some servers in TF2 they ban offensive or harmful sprays and/or sprays are disabled entirely.
You can pay someone to make you a spray.

If it could be turned off (clientside), I suppose custom profile backgrounds would be alright. Still, on Valve's side of things they'd be losing loads of cash, so it's never gonna happen.
Last edited by chibilibi; Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:47pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 93 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Jul 11, 2014 @ 7:14pm