StiflerCosmin¸.•*´ Jul 2 @ 3:03pm
Need help making a LED circuit for PC
Hey , I have some LED around and I want to make a circuit to light up the inside of my pc ...
The thing is that I don't want to burn my PSU .... I know the basics but I need to know what other transistors do I need beside the LED ...
Thanks for reading this post & sorry for my english .
Last edited by StiflerCosmin¸.•*´; Jul 2 @ 3:03pm
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
< >
Minty Jul 2 @ 3:32pm 
Oh come one guys, help this guy out, it's a reasonable request and it's not like he's badge posting or anything.
crunchyfrog Jul 2 @ 3:54pm 
In all fairness your best bet is to simply Google this (use something like "add LEDs to my PC"), as using just text to describe how to do it is fraught with problems.

You aren't likely to burn out your PSU as LEDs use a relative tiny amount of power, but you'll find that explained with Googling too :)
Last edited by crunchyfrog; Jul 2 @ 3:55pm
Fork_Q Jul 2 @ 3:58pm 
Originally posted by Seething hostility:
Oh come one guys, help this guy out, it's a reasonable request and it's not like he's badge posting or anything.

I would love to if I knew ♥♥♥♥ all about adding LED lighting on computers. Personally, I think they look hideous and should not be attempted - see, that's about all I can contribute to it. He's better off asking this in the Hardware subforum TBH.
crunchyfrog Jul 2 @ 4:00pm 
Originally posted by Fork_Q:
Originally posted by Seething hostility:

I would love to if I knew ♥♥♥♥ all about adding LED lighting on computers. Personally, I think they look hideous and should not be attempted - see, that's about all I can contribute to it. He's better off asking this in the Hardware subforum TBH.

Aye, that too. And in general, I agree. You definitely need to have an eye for it before attempting too.
StiflerCosmin¸.•*´ Jul 2 @ 4:13pm 
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
In all fairness your best bet is to simply Google this (use something like "add LEDs to my PC"), as using just text to describe how to do it is fraught with problems.

You aren't likely to burn out your PSU as LEDs use a relative tiny amount of power, but you'll find that explained with Googling too :)

the thing is that on google I find only tutorials about installing LED strips and not hand made ...
crunchyfrog Jul 2 @ 4:39pm 
Originally posted by StiflerCosmin:
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:

the thing is that on google I find only tutorials about installing LED strips and not hand made ...

Well in that case, without soundi ng blunt, alter your Google terms.

Although I would say if you can't easily work out how to just use ONE or TWO LEDs and use the same guide, then maybe you shouldn't be attempting this anyway?
Dellicious Jul 2 @ 8:59pm 
why bother? just buy ready made LED strips...why would you mess around with hardwiring stuff yourself and risk voltage/hardware issues if you mess up
Rumpelcrutchskin Jul 2 @ 9:03pm 
Originally posted by Dellicious:
why bother? just buy ready made LED strips...why would you mess around with hardwiring stuff yourself and risk voltage/hardware issues if you mess up

What he said. NZXT led strips are cheap and easy to use. Lot better option then burning out your PSU.
Dellicious Jul 2 @ 9:05pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:

What he said. NZXT led strips are cheap and easy to use. Lot better option then burning out your PSU.

NZXT is awesome, I gotta NZXT phantom
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Jul 2 @ 9:28pm 
Yea led light strips are so cheap the question is why bother.
Places like frys have them free after rebate from time to time...
StiflerCosmin¸.•*´ Jul 3 @ 1:39am 

I have 3 reasons ,
1. I don't think that I can find LED strips cheap in my city (things like that are overpriced in my country)
2. I have lots of LED that lay around here
3. It will feel better if I install a custom circuit .
Last edited by StiflerCosmin¸.•*´; Jul 3 @ 1:39am
Phlosten Jul 3 @ 5:17am 
You don't need transistors, you need resistors. You could make something that runs off the 5V output on one of the plugs. You need a resistor to limit the current.

This is a good page showing a very simple circuit.http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

A simple circuit with a single LED and a 1k resistor will work.

I would be testing on another power supply that you could afford to blow up before putting it in your main PC.

Some more handy information: http://www.theledlight.com/LED101.html
StiflerCosmin¸.•*´ Jul 3 @ 5:40am 
Originally posted by Phlosten:
You don't need transistors, you need resistors. You could make something that runs off the 5V output on one of the plugs. You need a resistor to limit the current.

This is a good page showing a very simple circuit.http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

I would be testing on another power supply that you could afford to blow up before putting it in your main PC.

but what will it happen if I just connect 3-4 LED to the PSU without the resistors ? I mean , what is the risk, the LED will burn or the PSU ?
crunchyfrog Jul 6 @ 12:36pm 
Originally posted by ¸.•*StiflerCosmin¸.•*´:
Originally posted by Phlosten:

but what will it happen if I just connect 3-4 LED to the PSU without the resistors ? I mean , what is the risk, the LED will burn or the PSU ?

Both quite probably.

This is precisely why you need to understand WHAT you're doing before you attempt it.
Fork_Q Jul 6 @ 1:23pm 
Originally posted by StevefoxAPEXBRO4EVA:
Originally posted by Fork_Q:

Its funny dude how I see everywhere u comment is negative your 100% pesimist haha.Get a life man ;)

I was like :-) and then after reading that I was this :-(
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50