All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Good online space sims?
Any good ones out there?

Can't wait for Star Citizen but need something to hold me off until then!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Kerbal Space Program.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

Oh ♥♥♥♥ you said online, I missed that. Still a good space game though.
Last edited by R.A.T. Army *MST3K*; Aug 12, 2016 @ 9:08pm
GORILLA POWER Aug 13, 2016 @ 12:04am 
Originally posted by R.A.T. Army *MST3K*:
Kerbal Space Program.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

Oh ♥♥♥♥ you said online, I missed that. Still a good space game though.

I'm talking more like flying planes through space and shooting others etc
FFL2and3rocks Aug 13, 2016 @ 12:07am 
Space Engineers is in the current Humble Bundle, I haven't really tried it yet though.

https://www.humblebundle.com/survive-this-bundle
Star Citizen go to robertsspaceindustries.com and secure your package today
Last edited by Cromwell the Conqueror; Aug 13, 2016 @ 7:34am
Danksama Aug 13, 2016 @ 7:43am 
Eve Online is worth trying out once
Last edited by Danksama; Aug 13, 2016 @ 7:43am
GORILLA POWER Aug 13, 2016 @ 8:08pm 
Originally posted by Cromwell the Conquerer:
Star Citizen go to robertsspaceindustries.com and secure your package today

Already did a while ago

Are there any games out now tho?

Isn't Eve the super complicated one? Lol not looking to spend tons of hours, just something to jump in and out
No Mans Sky (Looks Good)
Last edited by Cromwell the Conqueror; Aug 14, 2016 @ 4:32am
Elite Dangerous (I think it kind of Sucks)
GORILLA POWER Aug 14, 2016 @ 7:02pm 
No Mans Sky (Looks Good)

No mans sky isnt really an online game tho...
Tsar Butterfly Aug 14, 2016 @ 7:04pm 
No Mans Sky (Looks Good)
>NMS
>MP
Pick one.
DevoidChaos Aug 14, 2016 @ 8:13pm 
Eve Online and Elite: Dangerous

however Eve requires a monthly sub
Unexpected Aug 14, 2016 @ 8:27pm 
i'm not sure if stellaris counts, but i want that, could be a good game
Last edited by Unexpected; Aug 14, 2016 @ 8:28pm
Arya Aug 14, 2016 @ 9:13pm 
I can't really recommend any that are quick. Elite: Dangerous is very slow-paced, you'd need to devote hours in bulk to get up to speed. IMO it's actually slower than EVE Online, since in EVE you can buy-in and skip most of the initial grind.

No Man's Sky isn't multiplayer, and seems to have serious flaws as a game in general. I've heard a lot of complaints about it, it doesn't seem to have many friends right now.

Another option would be the X3 games, but again they're slow-paced unless you play with cheat codes and manually accelerate the game.

EVE Online doesn't fit your requests at all, since there's no true manual control and it's not really a space-sim. Not in the traditional sense. It's also expensive, expect to pay $40 American to set up an account + a monthly sub for the first year of play.

You can pay your sub with in-game currency, which is an awesome concept but only practical once you're insanely rich and making a many hundreds of millions a month + enough left over to pay your upkeep and replace losses.
Last edited by Arya; Aug 14, 2016 @ 9:13pm
GORILLA POWER Aug 16, 2016 @ 4:52pm 
Originally posted by Okami:
I can't really recommend any that are quick. Elite: Dangerous is very slow-paced, you'd need to devote hours in bulk to get up to speed. IMO it's actually slower than EVE Online, since in EVE you can buy-in and skip most of the initial grind.

No Man's Sky isn't multiplayer, and seems to have serious flaws as a game in general. I've heard a lot of complaints about it, it doesn't seem to have many friends right now.

Another option would be the X3 games, but again they're slow-paced unless you play with cheat codes and manually accelerate the game.

EVE Online doesn't fit your requests at all, since there's no true manual control and it's not really a space-sim. Not in the traditional sense. It's also expensive, expect to pay $40 American to set up an account + a monthly sub for the first year of play.

You can pay your sub with in-game currency, which is an awesome concept but only practical once you're insanely rich and making a many hundreds of millions a month + enough left over to pay your upkeep and replace losses.

In that case, are there any online space games you'd recommend that fit the bill?

I don't think I'll go down the Eve route, I may check Elite...
Arya Aug 16, 2016 @ 9:03pm 
I can't really recommend any of them without caveats, none of them fit what you want.

Elite isn't really Multiplayer - there are other players out there, but the Galaxy is so massive that you may never actually see one. Most of them will just ram you with a massive freighter the instant you Undock.

It's also a pretty flawed game right now. It's got massive potential, but it's not really done yet - most of the game feels like an empty construction site. You can visit planets, but they're all pretty much the same and all equally empty. There are asteroid fields, but they're all identical. Missions are basic and there's no over-arching storyline. PVP exists, but it's not great. Trading isn't much fun, you just fly from point A to point B and back. Through empty void.

When I played, the singleplayer combat was excellent - but I've heard they wrecked it in a recent patch. From what I heard, they massively increased the difficulty to appease the 10,000+ hours obsessives and made it almost impossible with any ship below a Vulture. That couldall be wrong, but it's not encouraging.

My recommendation would be X3 and it's expansions. They're a few years old now, but still hold up really well. And they're dead cheap. The X series lacks multiplayer but makes up for it with excellent singleplayer, including campaigns and a huge amount of freeform content. The universe itself has a simulated international economy, with supply and demand and other factors all being modelled - so it's one of the better Space Trucker games out there.

For combat, you've got Bounty Hunting, Piracy and the Military, of which Piracy is the real standout. Like a real pirate you can claim ships and take their cargos, and even join NPC pirate gangs. The actual combat mechanics are pretty good, covering ships from Scouts(sub-fighter) and Fighters to Capital Ships and Carriers. Cap-Ship combat feels a bit dull but the fighter duels are quite decent, it's not far behind Elite for starfighter combat.

The big weakness is pacing. This is a very slow-paced game if played normally, expect to invest potentially hundreds of hours per campaign. It's also very unforgiving, with Manual Saving and no checkpoints. Combat difficulty is quite high, if you're not fitted out well you can find yourself in serious trouble.

So, really there's no perfect option. I wish I could offer more, but I only wanted to report on games I've actually played. X3 would be my choice because it's objectively the best right now, but it's still a huge compromise and doesn't really match what you want.
Last edited by Arya; Aug 16, 2016 @ 9:03pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Per page: 1530 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Aug 12, 2016 @ 8:55pm