All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Sharisad Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:09pm
Are you taking responsibility?
I often feel only few people do. Whenever things turn bad or mistakes are made it feels as if there is always someone else to blame, everyone except for oneself. Or people simplify things so they can justify it to blow off steam. Or own mistakes are talked down and relativated while those of others are something to let the whole world know of.

Like when trains are too late. There is always that one company to blame that operates the lines. But how is it their fault when people decide to jump in front of trains or steal metal copper wirings from the lines or keep the doors of the trains from closing by prancing around the exits? And how is it gonna help if one is insulting and swearing at service personnel on the trains or in the stations who never asked for any of that either and who aren't even near the management level where they could actually make a change?

Where I work it's common to slander other organization units of my company and accuse them of handling stuff too slowly or sloppy. Yet numerous people of my own department spent at least half of their time not working but chatting and playing around with their smartphones either, not getting as much done as they could or doing mistakes they would avoid if they kept up a more constant level of attention.

And I'm not even working in an unimportant area. If I do mistakes people in the long term may suffer from it. I couldn't care less if I were to serve a half-good burger to some kid at a restaurant. But where I work I am not taking chances for I know it is my responsibility too to make things as good as possible there.

Things are easy when there is always someone else to blame. And when it comes to oneself suddenly all expectations and borders of judgement are widened and more liberal, where others would be slandered and insulted instantly. In the worst case the own failures and the own inability to take things into the hands are projected into foreigners and people of other ethnicities, giving birth to racism, nazism and other abominations of that kind.

Maybe the world be more peaceful if more people had a better sense of responsiblity, and in the process a broader ability to empathy with others. How is it many lack it? I believe it's an educational thing. If kids are treated like princes and princesses who are allowed to do all, taught to do all they wish, told to become all they want and to ran over anyone in the way, shown on TV that only looking good and doing as much partying as possible is what matters then it can hardly be a surprise that they turn into jerks who can't see very far.

Honestly if I had a kid I perhaps wouldn't hesitate to slap it if it were to seriously screw up and blame others instead of realizing it's own responsibilty. There needs to be some harshness in life to make people understand. They don't understand by good will and hopes only. Only those who suffer truly know to appreciate what they are given and perhaps understand the situations of others better. Kids don't suffer enough. They are treated like gods to rule and bend the world by their own almighty will. They are either too cool, too beautiful or too important. Their epicness shines brighter than all stars. Or so they believe.
Last edited by Sharisad; Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:19pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Maya Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:11pm 
Is this a thread advocating child abuse?
If so, then no, I don't support child abuse.

Also, no I don't like to take responsibilities as long as I can avoid them.
Littlefoot #lbt14hype (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:12pm 
I guess people just feel like they don't want to get critisicm?
Stannis Baratheon (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:16pm 
Slap it once in a while? You can teach a kid to be responsible without hiting him/her. The fact that you think that hitting a kid is okay once in awhile shows how ♥♥♥♥ed up your thinking is. Also a kid is a person not an it.
Sharisad Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:17pm 
Originally posted by Maya:
Also, no I don't like to take responsibilities as long as I can avoid them.
That's what I do too. Or try to do. Some responsibilites one can't avoid to take though. I try to keep my life as simple as possible for the fear of being burdened with too many responsibilites and things I may not handle well.
skoz (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:19pm 
not being responsible isnt a crime

hitting kids for no reason is
Utage Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:19pm 
Aye. I take responsibilities, even for things that I knew I couldn't prevent or stop, both in-games and real life. Were we all destroyed in a multiplayer match because my friend isn't good? Yep, that was my fault, too. It's just how I am.

Unless I'm trolling of course.
Sharisad Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:23pm 
Originally posted by Marcus Antonius:
Slap it once in a while? You can teach a kid to be responsible without hiting him/her. The fact that you think that hitting a kid is okay once in awhile shows how ♥♥♥♥ed up your thinking is. Also a kid is a person not an it.
I edited that part a bit. You know I don't want this thread to be about child abuse. You needn't really worry because I will never have kids. It's not like I would be going to break it's nose or something. It's just really about that suffering part. Let's say then I wouldn't slap it. But I may lock it up in it's room maybe. Remove all stuff from it's room. Give some food and water and heat to it, of course, but let it otherwise suffer. Maybe. It may just end up blaming me all the way instead of realizing it's own responsibility. I'm not sure. I'm not a parent and I'm not claiming to know best. All I know is that I learnt best what I did from suffering. Life can't and shouldn't be a joyful happy family garden all the time. And please don't overrate that "it" thing, English isn't my main language, I'm not sure if "him/her" would be more correct here, in any case it's easier to write "it", you still know what I mean.
Last edited by Sharisad; Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:24pm
Stannis Baratheon (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:28pm 
Originally posted by Clarity:
I edited that part a bit. You know I don't want this thread to be about child abuse. You needn't really worry because I will never have kids. It's not like I would be going to break it's nose or something. It's just really about that suffering part. Let's say then I wouldn't slap it. But I may lock it up in it's room maybe. Remove all stuff from it's room. Give some food and water and heat to it, of course, but let it otherwise suffer. Maybe. It may just end up blaming me all the way instead of realizing it's own responsibility. I'm not sure. I'm not a parent and I'm not claiming to know best. All I know is that I learnt best what I did from suffering. Life can't and shouldn't be a joyful happy family garden all the time. And please don't overrate that "it" thing, English isn't my main language, I'm not sure if "him/her" would be more correct here, in any case it's easier to write "it", you still know what I mean.
So treat the child like a prisoner in "its" on house, thats nice. You should never have a child, children do need to be punished sometimes but not to the point of abuse. You seem like a aweful person, I wouldn't let you have power over a vacuum let alone another human being.
dihydrogen monoxide is dangerous Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:32pm 
if you want, you can torture yourself.
I'm not taking responsibility.
Sharisad Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:33pm 
So treat the child like a prisoner in "its" on house, thats nice. You should never have a child, children do need to be punished sometimes but not to the point of abuse. You seem like a aweful person, I wouldn't let you have power over a vacuum let alone another human being.
Yeah that sounded awful. I'm still learning too, you know? There are good reasons why I don't have children and don't plan on having any. But I am aware of that. I take responsibility by making sure I won't have children (or control over any person, that is). Can you say the same about all parents or people having power over others?
Last edited by Sharisad; Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:34pm
Stannis Baratheon (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:35pm 
Yeah that sounded awful. I'm still learning too, you know? There are good reasons why I don't have children and don't plan on having any. But I am aware of that. I take responsibility by making sure I won't have children (or control over any person, that is). Can you say the same about all parents or people having power over others?
As long as yu realize that. Also remember suffering might make one person a better overral person but it can make the other person an evil prick who cares very little about his fellow human beings.
skoz (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:35pm 

you are not making sense.

you are saying kids are treated like princes and princesses gods to rule? now you are saying parents having more power over the kids (which is true) idk what you are trying to say
Sharisad Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:39pm 
Originally posted by Eye Play Games:

you are saying kids are treated like princes and princesses gods to rule? now you are saying parents having more power over the kids (which is true) idk what you are trying to say
I'm not sure what you mean. Kids - so it appears to me, at least - are not educated well enough. They are left alone and taught by the TV or internet. Fashion shows and magazines are telling them that all that matters is to look good. They are having too many luxury items, too many things to attack and ruin their senses and perception of life. If I had a kid maybe I would regularly go on outside tours with it through areas as unhabitated as much as possible only to help it understand the value of not being busy with something all the time and just let things sink properly into their minds rather than running from one way of distraction to another. Isn't that why every kid is doing partying and drinking alcohol so often? To literally drown themselves in forced fun and ignore all else?
Last edited by Sharisad; Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:41pm
skoz (Banned) Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:41pm 

I'm not sure what you mean. Kids - so it appears to me, at least - are not educated well enough. They are left alone and taught by the TV or internet. Fashion shows and magazines are telling them that all that matters is to look good. They are having too many luxury items, too many things to attack and ruin their senses and perception of life. If I had a kid maybe I would regularly go on outside tours with it through areas as unhabitated as much as possible only to help it understand the value of not being busy with something all the time and just let things sink properly into their minds rather than running from one way of distraction to another.

so the parents aren't being responsible of their kids and not teaching them and the kids aren't being responsible for themselves?
dihydrogen monoxide is dangerous Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:41pm 

I'm not sure what you mean. Kids - so it appears to me, at least - are not educated well enough. They are left alone and taught by the TV or internet. Fashion shows and magazines are telling them that all that matters is to look good. They are having too many luxury items, too many things to attack and ruin their senses and perception of life. If I had a kid maybe I would regularly go on outside tours with it through areas as unhabitated as much as possible only to help it understand the value of not being busy with something all the time and just let things sink properly into their minds rather than running from one way of distraction to another.
simple solution.
don't let them watch fashion shows.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

All Discussions > Steam Forums > Off Topic > Topic Details
Date Posted: Aug 6, 2014 @ 2:09pm