HiddenAJenda Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:17pm
SLI problem ?
I have 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked in SLI and I think one of them might be in rough shape. Is there some tool i can dl to make sure both gpu's are healthy and running the way they should be ?
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
< >
{pDs} Carr |CanadiENT Bacon| Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:19pm 
I know nVidea has an "Experience" program that will auto update drivers and has other features I can't use on my 9800GT. Free DL from their website and it may be helpful to you
HiddenAJenda Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:38pm 
I actually already have GeForce Experience, i just dl'd the latest drivers tonight and got the 3Dmark 11 demo to test out my gpu's. Thank you for the suggestion though! I'll post the update once ive run 3Dmark...
HiddenAJenda Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:59pm 
my sli turned off automatically when i ran 3Dmark 11.... that cant be good
HiddenAJenda Feb 1, 2013 @ 11:16pm 
I went into my settings and turned SLI back on and ran 3Dmark again, this time it ran the way it should. My computers score doubled this time around so i dunno what happened. I still think something is wrong but ill live with it for now till i can afford an upgrade.
Tuskan GA Feb 1, 2013 @ 11:43pm 
There is. I use Furmark 1.10[www.geeks3d.com] from Guru3D to measure the health of my cards. It's designed to basically torture test your GPU and is equipped to reveal all manner of flaws.

If there's something wrong with the core clocks or board, this program tends to crash as a result. If your VRAM is faulty, you'll almost certainly get artifacts.

If your cards are overheating, this program will let you know. Throughout the test it shows your GPU's temperature in real time.

If your voltage regulator is in any way damaged, you'll get ridiculously high temperatures and artifacts like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cRn-2ZV6xs

It's also capable of testing SLI and Crossfire setups and will report temperatures as separate readings.
Last edited by Tuskan GA; Feb 1, 2013 @ 11:44pm
HiddenAJenda Feb 2, 2013 @ 3:59pm 
Now that you meantion furmark..... I actually have furmark, it was installed on my rig when i had it built. Im gonna try it out.

Ok I ran furmark(multi-gpu) and it crashed, my computer totally restarted (no artifacts). The temp was approx 84 degrees at the time of the crash. So now I know something is wrong for sure, I guess now I have to find out what exactly is wrong and what card is screwed.

I ran furmark again this time with sli turned off and it didnt crash, but it got very hot. Still no artifacts but it got to 98 degrees befor i turned it off cause i got scared that my gpu would cook lol. So since it didnt crash this time I guess I can assume its the second card thats F'd up...?

I have a question that just came to me, why does my rig crash in furmark when sli is turned on but not when im gaming ?
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:45am
Tuskan GA Feb 2, 2013 @ 6:41pm 
Originally posted by PwnoLogiC:
I ran furmark again this time with sli turned off and it didnt crash, but it got very hot. Still no artifacts but it got to 98 degrees befor i turned it off cause i got scared that my gpu would cook lol. So since it didnt crash this time I guess I can assume its the second card thats F'd up...?

The graph at the bottom curves as the temperature rises; how close to flat was it when you shut it off?

I have a question that just came to me, why does my rig crash in furmark when sli is turned on but not when im gaming ?
Because unless you're running Metro 2033 at full settings for several hours, you're not going to stress the components as hard as Furmark does. It's called a torture test for a reason.
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:46am
HiddenAJenda Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:01pm 
It was close to lvling off, I imagine it would have peaked around... 103ish. I think I need to replace my second card, since there was no crash once i turned off sli.
Tuskan GA Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:05pm 
It was close to lvling off, I imagine it would have peaked around... 103ish. I think I need to replace my second card, since there was no crash once i turned off sli.

Those temps aren't completely unsual, though it would be if you weren't overclocking.

Are they blower style cooled[www.amazon.com] or are they open air style cooled?[www.amazon.com]

Also, older versions of Furmark had a feature for specifying which card to run the test on if I remember correctly. You could also go in your graphics properties and manually set one as default, run the test, and switch it around and run again.

Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:46am
HiddenAJenda Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:24pm 
The Furmark i used was 1.8.2 and i didnt see an option for picking which gpu to test. I didnt go into the settings and change the default to check both individually, i only tested the one thats already default however i will try to do that now. My gpu's are blower style cooled, I havent done any overclocking myself but my gpu's are superclocked editions ...? EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SC x2

Ok I just tested the second gpu and it didnt crash... the temp leveled out at 98-99 degrees. So both my gpu's seem to be in good working order by themselves, crash free! Does this mean I have some SLI specific issue..?
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 3, 2013 @ 11:47am
Tuskan GA Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:04pm 
Ok I just tested the second gpu and it didnt crash... the temp leveled out at 98-99 degrees. So both my gpu's seem to be in good working order by themselves, crash free! Does this mean I have some SLI specific issue..?

How close are the cards? Are they right up against each other or separated by a slot or two? What temperature do they reach when working together?

Because 99C is at the very, very edge of what's acceptable for a card. Typically if your card is getting that hot, it's going to want to throttle down in a degree (if it hasn't already) or fail.

103C is almost always too hot.

Could you tell which type of cooler you have on your cards? Are they blower or open?
Last edited by Tuskan GA; Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:05pm
HiddenAJenda Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:27pm 
They are separated by a slot, and are blower cooled. When i have them working together furmark crashes befor they get really hot, they reach about 85-86 degrees befor furmark crashes and my comp restarts.
Tuskan GA Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:42pm 
Check the bridge between the cards for damage. Look for a break in the flat cables under the plastic and bent or damaged pins on the conectors, both on the cable and the cards.

Other than that I really don't know what to tell you. I don't have a heck of a lot of experience troubleshooting dual-card setups [read: none whatsoever]. You'll need someone else to look at that for you.

Because while your cards are getting really hot, it doesn't sound like it's a temperature problem. And in order to really combat those high temperatures, you'd need to either increase the incoming airflow of your case or buy aftermarket GPU coolers.

I guess the last thing I can say is to make sure your computer isn't drawing too much power. The only real way to test that though is to buy a Kill a Watt reader[www.amazon.com], hook it up to your computer, and test it while running in SLI.
Last edited by Tuskan GA; Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:46pm
HiddenAJenda Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:10pm 
I want to upgrade and get rid of these things anyway as soon as I can get some cash to do it, I'll have to bring it into a shop and have it looked at I guess. Anyway thank you very much for trying to help me out with this, I appreciate the effort.
Tuskan GA Feb 2, 2013 @ 11:10pm 
How many watts is your power supply?
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:17pm