TheLiriValley Feb 1, 2013 @ 8:31pm
My Desktop is Randomly Restarting during games, NO BSOD???
Built the computer about 8 months ago and first random restart was about two months ago while playing Far Cry 3, it was about 5 hours into playing and Far Cry is graphically demanding so i didn't think too much into it, I continued playing after the restart and it was fine. Then three weeks ago it randomly restarted during Starcraft 2 and It rebooted and played again and it restarted again. And now it restarts after every 3-4 hours of gaming.

I turned on the BSOD, but it STILL just restarts. I looked at my GPU and it was pretty dusty so I waited till it restarted again which was tonight during ME3 and I took it out and cleaned it. Restarted played for maybe 20 min and it restarted again.

If it's a heating issue - which I would imagine it would be - what's my solution? Ideas?

Intel i5 2500K
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Gigabyte MOBO - can list the details but I forget off the top of my head
8 GB ram
600W PSU

Help?

Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Tuskan GA Feb 1, 2013 @ 8:36pm 
What's your i5 clocked at? Stock?

Have you overclocked your 6850?

What other components do you have installed? How many hard drives, disc drives, and other peripherals do you have?

ReBoot Feb 2, 2013 @ 12:38am 
Open the case, put a big fan there and see if the issue goes away. If yes, it surely is a heating issue.
_I_ Feb 2, 2013 @ 12:51am 
what brand and model power supply?
Tuskan GA Feb 2, 2013 @ 12:53am 
Originally posted by _I_:

This is also important.

With my earlier questions I was attempting to learn whether you may be exceeding the maximum rated wattage. My i5 2500K and HD 7950 based build under peak load with overclocking reached and exceeded my maximum wattage of 650W.

However a poor quality power supply may also shut down sporadically, especially if it's rated wattage is inaccurate or if it's in some way faulty.
TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 8:53am 
Originally posted by Tuskan GA:
What's your i5 clocked at? Stock?

Have you overclocked your 6850?

What other components do you have installed? How many hard drives, disc drives, and other peripherals do you have?

I have nothing overclocked, I have a 1 TB HDD, 1 DVD Drive, and that's it. It's a cooler master case with three fans.
TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 8:54am 

OCZ 600 MXSP
TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:00am 
Originally posted by Tuskan GA:

This is also important.

With my earlier questions I was attempting to learn whether you may be exceeding the maximum rated wattage. My i5 2500K and HD 7950 based build under peak load with overclocking reached and exceeded my maximum wattage of 650W.

However a poor quality power supply may also shut down sporadically, especially if it's rated wattage is inaccurate or if it's in some way faulty.

I mean it could be the power - but everything I got should be having enough power. And would it still be able to play games for hours before shutting down if it's the power supply? I'm not doubting - I just don't know.
_I_ Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:15am 
the psu should be good for it

how hot is the air leaving the case?
TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:17am 
the psu should be good for it

how hot is the air leaving the case?

To the touch not hot at all. is there a way to measure it?

TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:18am 
ALSO in the event viewer it's a Kernal Dump 41 60(something) - 0 bug errors and all that - if it helps
_I_ Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:22am 
use hwmonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

i5 2500k has a max around 80-90c iirc
most gpus are good for around 100c
TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:28am 
use hwmonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

i5 2500k has a max around 80-90c iirc
most gpus are good for around 100c

My GPU is around 40-50 maybe max 70'c while playing games.

My CPU is fine as well.....

Which is why I'm confused cause I don't think it's a heating problem. But It all points to one....
_I_ Feb 2, 2013 @ 9:33am 
what case do you have?

if it has a top mount power supply, it could be overheating it
TheLiriValley Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:43am 
what case do you have?

if it has a top mount power supply, it could be overheating it

nope bottom. It's a Coolermaster v2 or something blue light on the front. Lots of vents.
_I_ Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:50am 
bottom mount is good, if its mounted with the intake from under the case, it should be taking in cooler air, but if its sitting on carpet that could be blocking it
Last edited by _I_; Feb 2, 2013 @ 10:50am
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 1, 2013 @ 8:31pm