presidentraygunn Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:33am
Upgrade advice
I was considering upgrading my pc for crysis 3 in particular but i also want a lasting upgrade. (well, as lasting as possible). I have a descent set up already. Its an intel i5 2300, gtx 550ti 2 gig, 6 gigs ram. I was thinking about upgrading this set up. I wanted to get an Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155. I also wanted to upgrade my graphics to a GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card. I know its a lot of $$$ to invest into upgrading. Especially when my rig already is decent. I want a set up that will last awhile and be able to play upcoming games like crysis 3 on high settings. Which would you upgrade first? The processor or the card?
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
_I_ Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:00am 
what board do you have?

does it support the 3570k?

id say upgrade the gpu, then the cpu if needed
imo the i5 2300 should still be fast enough for most games
Jamebonds1 Jan 31, 2013 @ 9:38am 
Just video card for now. More important, what board do you have?
Joscco Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:47am 
If your motherboard supports it all, I'd go with the GTX 680 first easily, then the CPU after, but that CPU still isn't bad at all.
rotNdude Jan 31, 2013 @ 10:51am 
I would upgrade the GPU first for a game like Crysis 3.
rad87gn Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:57am 
Nice choice. I have a 3770K and a Gigabyte GTX 680 OC 2gb. What motherboard do you have or do you plan on upgrading the motherboard too? Otherwise, I'd go for the GTX 680 first. That will jump up your gaming performance the most.
presidentraygunn Feb 1, 2013 @ 1:07pm 
I think I have an intel p67. I'm not sure about my motherboard. I originally bought a Dell XPS 8300 and am trying to build on that. Thanks everyone for your imput so far.
gnoj Feb 2, 2013 @ 2:16am 
Most definitely upgrade the GPU first. The video card is the single most important component for gaming, and a GTX 680 is a great card if you can afford it, and it should enable you to run every game maxed out at 1080p/60hz/60 fps for the next couple years at least. If you're looking for a specific model, I can recommend this[www.newegg.com] for being both cool and quiet despite coming a bit overclocked.

The best guess right now for the GTX 780's release date is April or May, but I doubt you want to wait that long to enjoy Crysis 3. It's expected to be an incremental improvement performance-wise anyway, much like GTX480-->GTX580. So don't worry about the 680 becoming obsolete any time soon.

The CPU is not all that important for most games, but there are a few like Skyrim that are more CPU-limited. You currently have a "Sandy Bridge"-generation CPU, whereas the 3770K is an "Ivy Bridge" processor. Ivy's are, when compared to the simarly priced previous-gen Sandy model, a very small improvement, as they share the same architecture. Both use the 1155 socket so you can upgrade as long as your BIOS supports it, but at this point I would just wait for this spring when Intel's "Haswell" lineup of CPU's will be out. That will use a new architecture and socket (LGA 1150) so you'll need a new motherboard. That socket will carry you for the next two generations of Intel CPU's, and the new line should bring a more noticable jump in performance/IPC (instructions-per-clock).

Pair the i5-4670K or i7-4770K with a Z87 chipset, a 750W PSU (unless you have that already), and ~16GB of DDR3-1866 ram, if memory remains as cheap as it is now. Be sure to also add a good cooler (i.e. Cooler Master 212 Evo) so you can overclock any of those -K CPU's. All that with the 680 should leave you set for awhile. You didn't mention storage so I assume you're good to go with that.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that you're building off an OEM machine. I'd still recommend just getting the GPU for now and getting a new Haswell-based build later. There's only so much you can upgrade those Dell's unless you gut the thing, since they usually only put in power supplies that are just barely large enough for the initial configuration.
Last edited by gnoj; Feb 2, 2013 @ 2:48am
banzaigtv Feb 2, 2013 @ 6:24am 
Since you have a Dell PC, you must definitely upgrade your PSU before you even think about trying to install a GTX 680. An XPS 8300's PSU is probably 460 W and a GTX 680 will kill it.
Mivo Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:28pm 
I would wait with upgrading the card until the 700er models are released, if you can muster the patience. March-April are the current guesses. Just mentioning this since you want something that lasts. You could replace the CPU first.
presidentraygunn Feb 4, 2013 @ 12:36am 
Wow. Thanks everyone for the imput. I will consider all these things. Makes me wanna start from scratch and just build my own rig from scratch. Tax season is here and I am giving myself a grand towards my pc. I wanna ditch console gaming altogether. I am finding Steam to be way better in many ways. Awesome community too.
turvey900 Feb 4, 2013 @ 12:53am 
Just an FYI - don't buy an OEM pre built system again, get a custom PC maker or a store to build you one instead.
banzaigtv Feb 4, 2013 @ 6:04am 
The latest news have it that the 700 series has been pushed back to late 2013. So if you want the 680, then go for it.
turvey900 Feb 4, 2013 @ 11:43am 
Save the $120 and get a 670 or two of them in SLi, hardly any difference in real world performance ebtween the 670 and 680 but the price difference is quite a lot.
presidentraygunn Feb 4, 2013 @ 11:49am 
Is there a way to build a decent pc for under $1,000 bucks? I know I'd probably have to wait on the 680 but if that meant having better specs all around then, so be it. What do you guys think of gaming performance on laptops? I know they market them, but are they there yet in terms of affordability? (under $1,000)?

I'm just bouncing around ideas because I only get one shot at this (for awhile). I'm always on a tight budget and this is my chance to invest into something for myself.
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 4, 2013 @ 11:55am
rotNdude Feb 4, 2013 @ 11:57am 
You aren't going to get a laptop computer for $1000 that will run Crysis 3 at any decent level of performance.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 31, 2013 @ 8:33am