wburton Dec 24, 2014 @ 11:23am
Cannot boot Ubuntu from dvd or usb on my laptop?
I want to set up a Ubuntu dual boot with Windows 7 but when I select the dvd or the usb option in the bios boot menu the computer boots to Windows. In the past I was able to run live cds with this computer but now for some reason it wont let me. I own a Hp G6 1b60us.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Zένø™ 👌 Dec 24, 2014 @ 11:26am 
ofc you can,save the changes in the BIOS before exiting
WinksMcGeeks Dec 24, 2014 @ 11:46am 
if you are on an HP computer as the computer is booting up pres f9 WITH the disk in the drive as it goes it will ask you what to boot up from press "dvd drive" or something similar to that and it should be good
maybe the computer is set to boot in UEFI?
Bad 💀 Motha Dec 24, 2014 @ 3:11pm 
Originally posted by chiefputsi:
maybe the computer is set to boot in UEFI?

^This

Must be disabled/set to Legacy mode in some cases for other Bootable devices or non-UEFI OS to work.

Another reason can be how the Optical Drive is connected and what SATA Mode its SATA Port is set to. Ideally if u have 6 SATA Ports; the OS drives should be on the 1st four and have those set to AHCI Mode. Your Optical drive should be on Ports 5 or 6 (again refer to motherboard manual for bios options) and then have Ports 5&6 set to IDE Mode. As some Optical Drives can not work properly when connected to a SATA Port that is set to AHCI or RAID modes.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Dec 24, 2014 @ 3:14pm
wburton Dec 24, 2014 @ 7:59pm 
I installed hp UEFI update that creates UEFI files in HP_TOOLS on my hard drive. Wonder if that is the problem. I guess its supposed to act like a wrapper for my bios so that I can use Windows 8 better but I have Windows 7. Read on some Hp forum somewhere that Hp locks booting from CD's with UEFI because Windows 8 has the refresh feature and there is no need for other OS's.
wburton Dec 24, 2014 @ 8:00pm 
If thats the case I'll never touch an Hp computer again in my life! Don't they know that things can go wrong even with Windows 8? What if a hard drive fails or Windows has a problem refreshing?
Last edited by wburton; Dec 24, 2014 @ 8:08pm
Bad 💀 Motha Dec 24, 2014 @ 10:04pm 
Your BIOS should also have UEFI option; such as Enable or Legacy Mode (the names for those toggles may vary) but often times Legacy Mode is required for some OS to function properly, however that feature alone should not impede booting off an Optical Drive. It basically boils down to "What OS am I trying to run" and "Is said OS UEFI compatible or not".

If the answer is NOT then that is when UEFI set to Legacy Mode is needed; to install or boot to WinXP for example. Now when set to Legacy Mode that will break your Win8/8.1 OS from booting; however to boot into that all u should need to do is re-enable full UEFI mode in BIOS again.

So there are these factors at play:
- UEFI Mode
- SATA Mode
- Default Boot Order
chiefputsa☒lag Dec 24, 2014 @ 10:22pm 
try creating a ubuntu (linux) usb installer using: LinuxLive USB Creator 2.9.1
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

repository of linux live usb creator
http://download.tuxfamily.org/lilicreator/stable/

alterrnatively, use rufus usb installer creator.
ThatOneGuy Dec 25, 2014 @ 4:03am 
btw i had ubuntu and hardly and games ran on it eg arma 2 , battlefield 4 all didnt because linux support is hard to include for developers just make sure your games include it before buying

look for the penguin on the store page :D
wburton Dec 25, 2014 @ 12:33pm 
I got ubuntu to work with Unetbootin.
wburton Dec 25, 2014 @ 12:37pm 
Originally posted by DrewsLetsPlays:
btw i had ubuntu and hardly and games ran on it eg arma 2 , battlefield 4 all didnt because linux support is hard to include for developers just make sure your games include it before buying

look for the penguin on the store page :D

Linux has way more support for games now then when I used it last. Gaming on my laptop sucks anyway so Ubuntu is no big deal.
ThatOneGuy Dec 25, 2014 @ 1:11pm 
ow ok just making sure , didnt want anyone to be disappointed.

it was on steam you know , the gaming platform of life :D
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Dec 24, 2014 @ 11:23am