Sly_Lamp May 19, 2015 @ 11:22pm
How Can I Improve my Laptops Performance?
Hey Guys just wondering if you had any tips on how to optimize my laptops gpu for the best quality of gaming.My specs are

GeForce GTX 850M
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
16 GB RAM

Specifically, I want GTAV to run a bit better, I currently get a decent fps but only at low - medium settings at 720p. This might just be due to it being GTAV and all and I'm pretty willing to just live with it if that's the case.

I'd also like to know if my machine is worth overclocking or if this would just damage it. I've never really heard of laptops being overclocked but I wouldn't be the one to know :P
If so what's the best wya to go about doing it? I've read online about Nvidia's gpu boost 2.0 but I can't find any options relating to it in my 3d settings or in Geforce experience.

Any help/suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated

p.s One thing I'll do without is suggestions that I spend money on upgrades. I really just want to know what can be done in the here and now and doesn't require me or anybody else to open the damn thing up. I understand sometimes this is the only way to achieve better results when it comes to hardware so if that's the case I guess just tell me that :P
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
CursedPanther May 19, 2015 @ 11:25pm 
There's nothing you can do with a laptop GPU. You can't overclock it, you can't install an aftermarket cooler onto it, you can't swap it out.

You'll just have to make do with what ever performance it provides.
Sly_Lamp May 19, 2015 @ 11:39pm 
You have crushed my hopes and dreams sir. But thank you none the less.
76561198135154379 May 20, 2015 @ 12:13am 
External GPU.
Bad 💀 Motha May 20, 2015 @ 2:17am 
You can start by wiping the Drivers out.
Then update with the latest for:
- Intel HD series GPU Drivers
- Intel Chipset INF
- NVIDIA Mobile 352 WHQL (select Custom > de-select GFE unless u need ShadowPlay > select Perform Clean Install box)

GPU Boost 2.0 is automatic. It simply boost to highest available clocks until it reaches it's thermal limitation where auto-throttle would kick in. Trust me, it's already doing this.

A big issue u will have until R* patches the PC version further is that u basically can't around the dual GPU issues. So for GTAV respectfully, not a whole lot u really can do here.
Air May 20, 2015 @ 7:29am 
Originally posted by Riley ♡♡♡:
External GPU.
That only exists for laptops with a specific port... which most laptops do not have. USB and eSATA wouldn't be sufficient for a gaming graphics card.

I've seen another that plugs in through mini PCI-E. Although, the graphics card's speed would be restricted and you couldn't use WiFi at the same time.
vadim May 20, 2015 @ 7:53am 
Originally posted by Air:
That only exists for laptops with a specific port... which most laptops do not have. USB and eSATA wouldn't be sufficient for a gaming graphics card.
How are you going to connect graphics to e-SATA?!!
OLDMAN🎅 May 20, 2015 @ 9:50am 
card upgrade
Nvidia GeForce GTX 880M
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231545562618
The Grapist May 20, 2015 @ 11:20am 
Originally posted by CursedPanther:
There's nothing you can do with a laptop GPU. You can't overclock it, you can't install an aftermarket cooler onto it, you can't swap it out.

That's the biggest load of cat ♥♥♥♥ i've heard in my life.
You can easily overclock that GTX 850m, probably at or exceeding GTX 860M levels.
Check out Either MSI afterburner, or Nvidia Inspector. Just watch temps, and keep clock stable just like a desktop card. If you need more Volts I can modify the Vbios for you so you can go beyond the limitations of 300Mhz. I did it with my GTX 780M and 650M. I nearly doubled the clock speed of the GT650M at only 1.2v. ended up with a 60% performance overclock. (This was in an 11' Netbook)

Depends on your notebook model, If you have a Sager/Clevo you can get an MXM 3.0B card and basically put any card you want in there. All the way up to a GTX 980M or One of the Quadro Cards with 8GB of VRAM.
Last edited by The Grapist; May 20, 2015 @ 11:24am
The Grapist May 20, 2015 @ 11:26am 
Originally posted by Sun:
Before everyone says you can't change CPU's or GPU's on you're laptop, they're wrong. Some models can have them changed. That's already a high spec laptop though so I don't know what you could upgrade in it.

Im pretty sure the GTX850M is a BGA package sadly. So I don't think we have an MXM slot.
But, you're 100% correct, most high end laptops have swappable graphics.

*Edit look like he deleted his post. Well, the 4700MQ is a Socketed CPU as well, all of the laptop Chipsets support up to the 4930MX that already have a 4700MQ. So you could overclock the XM version as well. I got my 3920XM in my laptop up to 4Ghz, but my power supply was not large enough to accomodate both a CPU and GPU overclock.
Last edited by The Grapist; May 20, 2015 @ 11:28am
CursedPanther May 20, 2015 @ 6:10pm 
Originally posted by Viceroy:

You can easily overclock that GTX 850m, probably at or exceeding GTX 860M levels.
Check out Either MSI afterburner, or Nvidia Inspector. Just watch temps, and keep clock stable just like a desktop card. If you need more Volts I can modify the Vbios for you so you can go beyond the limitations of 300Mhz. I did it with my GTX 780M and 650M. I nearly doubled the clock speed of the GT650M at only 1.2v. ended up with a 60% performance overclock. (This was in an 11' Netbook)

Depends on your notebook model, If you have a Sager/Clevo you can get an MXM 3.0B card and basically put any card you want in there. All the way up to a GTX 980M or One of the Quadro Cards with 8GB of VRAM.
Feel free to go ahead and overclock the crap outta a laptop, like I care whatsoever. Just don't come here crying and whining when your factory maintenance voids your warranty cuz they found out you've been pushing your machine outta limit and you're left with a piece of brick.

Or maybe you're the one to buy OP a new laptop when the time comes huh?
Last edited by CursedPanther; May 20, 2015 @ 6:24pm
The Grapist May 20, 2015 @ 8:42pm 
Originally posted by Viceroy:

Feel free to go ahead and overclock the crap outta a laptop, like I care whatsoever. Just don't come here crying and whining when your factory maintenance voids your warranty cuz they found out you've been pushing your machine outta limit and you're left with a piece of brick.

I've actually set a few world records for overclocked Mobile Graphics chips. I've never lost a laptop to overclocking, or overvolting. Honeslty, If you can deal with the lesser battery life, Overclocking is in my book reccomended.
CursedPanther May 20, 2015 @ 9:00pm 
Originally posted by Asaggynoodle:

I've actually set a few world records for overclocked Mobile Graphics chips. I've never lost a laptop to overclocking, or overvolting. Honeslty, If you can deal with the lesser battery life, Overclocking is in my book reccomended.
For you breaking records is the purpose, but I seriously doubt that is the same for the OP.

It's simple. When we say no at times, it doesn't necessarily mean it is physically or theoretically impossible. Can you jump off a cliff without a parachute or 'take down' that 7-11 across the street with a friend? Yes you can, if you don't give a damn about the dying or locked up in jail part.

Call me overly protective, but I won't be the one getting blamed if something goes wrong terribly.
The Grapist May 20, 2015 @ 9:14pm 

For you breaking records is the purpose, but I seriously doubt that is the same for the OP.

It's simple. When we say no at times, it doesn't necessarily mean it is physically or theoretically impossible. Can you jump off a cliff without a parachute or 'take down' that 7-11 across the street with a friend? Yes you can, if you don't give a damn about the dying or locked up in jail part.

Call me overly protective, but I won't be the one getting blamed if something goes wrong terribly.

I think you're taking this WAY out of context. Information provided here is for purely educational purposes. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. Anyone who takes advise from here, or any other forum is bringing it on themselves. Without liability being shared on anyone exept the person who performs what is advised. The information provided here is considered options, and should be considered accordingly.

You're the reason everyone has to put "For educational purposes only" on their works.
Last edited by The Grapist; May 20, 2015 @ 9:15pm
Bad 💀 Motha May 20, 2015 @ 9:29pm 
Not to mention OC is not a big deal anyways.

It either works or it doesn't, for the most part. You can apply something and have parts just fry. If an OC fails or system in-stability is an issue, u step things down a bit til overall stability increases.

It doesn't affect or void warranty.
CursedPanther May 20, 2015 @ 9:30pm 
You're the reason everyone has to put "For educational purposes only" on their works.
And that inconveniences you in what way? To type that paragraph above right and explains how I twist it outta context?

Don't bother now. We both know where this is heading.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 19, 2015 @ 11:22pm