Konrax Mar 1, 2015 @ 2:00am
CPU runs VERY hot when at low usage
So my cpu runs incredibly hot when at low usage, im assuming this has been what is giving me low frames even though I have a gtx 970. right now im at 5% usage with a temp of 90 Celsius. Could this just be a cooling problem? I'm using a stock fan and my cpu is a xeon 1230 e3 v2. I just order a evo 212 and will be installing it when it gets here. can a hot cpu cause a bottleneck?
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
yberkurko Mar 1, 2015 @ 2:29am 
If cpu gets hot enough it will throtle down and cause major performance loss; even if it doesn't go that far running hot will prevent cpu from turbo boosting (using speeds 3,3Ghz-3,7Ghz when not all cores are utilized).
You should check also case ventilation as 1230 e3 v2 isn't high tdp cpu. Even stock cooler sucks there may be also problem of heat building up in case.
Last edited by yberkurko; Mar 1, 2015 @ 2:29am
Konrax Mar 1, 2015 @ 3:16am 
As for air flow, the CPU and fan had plenty of head room, I'm assuming I may have applied the thermal paste incorrectly the first time, and hopefully this new cooler helps. Thanks for he info!
yberkurko Mar 1, 2015 @ 3:58am 
Originally posted by Kronack:
As for air flow, the CPU and fan had plenty of head room, I'm assuming I may have applied the thermal paste incorrectly the first time, and hopefully this new cooler helps. Thanks for he info!
I don't mean headroom but if that heated air is circulating in case instead of being fanned out. Even best cooler can't cool cpu efectively with hot air.
There would be good to have 2-3 fans blowing cool air in from front/ bottom of case and 1-2 blowing heated air out from back and top.
Last edited by yberkurko; Mar 1, 2015 @ 4:00am
Konrax Mar 1, 2015 @ 4:30am 
Ah, we'll along with my new cooler I have 4 spare fans coming, there any diagrams online for optimal fan placement so I can be sure to place them properly?
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 1, 2015 @ 4:44am 
Ah, we'll along with my new cooler I have 4 spare fans coming, there any diagrams online for optimal fan placement so I can be sure to place them properly?

Front, sidepanel or floor slots intake.
Back and top slots exhaust.
Konrax Mar 1, 2015 @ 5:23am 
I have two spots for a fan on the side, one on the back and one on the front. None on top it seems. Using a rosewill redbone u3. Mid size atx
upcoast Mar 1, 2015 @ 9:46am 
Considering the 1230 v2 is only a 69w part you may have installed the hsf wrong some how, or motherboard bios update is needed, or temp sensor is stuck. Try reinstalling the hsf again just to see.

Edit, you've got a 212 evo on the way that'll make the temps loooooowwwwwwww no matter how many fans you install.
Last edited by upcoast; Mar 1, 2015 @ 9:48am
Konrax Mar 1, 2015 @ 12:19pm 
Originally posted by upcoast:
Considering the 1230 v2 is only a 69w part you may have installed the hsf wrong some how, or motherboard bios update is needed, or temp sensor is stuck. Try reinstalling the hsf again just to see.

Edit, you've got a 212 evo on the way that'll make the temps loooooowwwwwwww no matter how many fans you install.

I just opened my case, the air around the cpu is barely above room temp, BARELY. So I figure I installed the stock fan wrong, so I figure installing the 212 evo should fix it.
Good to know about the EVO by the way, been hearing good things about it as it is so excited to get it installed.
yberkurko Mar 1, 2015 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by upcoast:

I just opened my case, the air around the cpu is barely above room temp, BARELY. So I figure I installed the stock fan wrong, so I figure installing the 212 evo should fix it.
Good to know about the EVO by the way, been hearing good things about it as it is so excited to get it installed.
Stock cooler being installed with those push to lock things you maybe don't have all securely pushed all the way so cooler may not touch whole hs way it should.
Ps.
Even 212 evo needs case ventilation; sure it will keep cpu cool even in case without any fans to move air... untill air inside case is heated.
Last edited by yberkurko; Mar 1, 2015 @ 2:34pm
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 1, 2015 @ 2:00am