Jin Jan 30, 2015 @ 4:44am
windows 7 vs win 8.1
I have been using Windows 7 64 bits for quite a while now and I am very please with it for gaming. My games almost never crash and I can play older games back from year 2000 or before.

Recently I saw Win 8.1 for $90 so I am consider to upgrade like the rest of the world. But I remember from a long time ago, a friends told me that Win 8 crashes alot, not very stable for gaming, and can not run games that is too old.

So my questions are:
1) is it worth to upgrade from from Win 7 64 bits to Win 8.1 64 bits for gaming?
2) are there any advantage for win 8.1 over win 7 for normal use? EX: office, smart phone device, smart lcd etc
3) is there any new OS coming out anytime soon?
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Rumpelcrutchskin Jan 30, 2015 @ 4:54am 
No point to do that at all. Windows 10 will come out this year (should be around September) and it will be free to upgrade from Windows 7 during first year after launch.
It's better then 8.1 and with DirectX 12 for gaming.
Jin Jan 30, 2015 @ 5:07am 
What do you mean by free to upgrade from 7?
Rumpelcrutchskin Jan 30, 2015 @ 5:10am 
Originally posted by Invoky:

If you have legal copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 then you can upgrade it to Windows 10 free of charge during first year after Windows 10 launch. They really want people switching to 10.
Jin Jan 30, 2015 @ 5:25am 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
Originally posted by Invoky:

If you have legal copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 then you can upgrade it to Windows 10 free of charge during first year after Windows 10 launch. They really want people switching to 10.

That is good to know.
Since I have a crappy old 2nd pc with Win XP. If I buy a cheap copy for win7\8.1 I will get to upgrade both PC to Win 10?
mirisbowring Jan 30, 2015 @ 5:31am 
yes
Bad 💀 Motha Jan 30, 2015 @ 5:39am 
Win10 is expected to be ready by April 15th
When it first releases, it will be free for one year for those who have a legit copy / product key from Win7, Win8 or Win8.1

If you have any 3 of those OS already, wait for Win10 release date. You can even do a straight upgrade to Win10 with any 3 of those OS as well, provided you are using 64bit version. Win10 also makes it much easier to roll-back to your old OS if you change your mind, or for other reasons/needs.

You can try Win10 right now, also for free, from Microsoft here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Easiest way to use the ISO is download the Windows USB/DVD ISO Backup Tool[www.microsoft.com] and then use a USB Flash Drive with 4GB minimum free space. Have it empty though so the tool can properly format it and make it bootable.
Jin Jan 30, 2015 @ 6:18am 
Thx for all, i will hold off for 8.1 and try to look for more info about win 10
Bad 💀 Motha Jan 30, 2015 @ 7:25am 
Just google "Windows 10"

Microsoft's latest January build details and various reviews are all right there.
Air Jan 30, 2015 @ 8:24am 
Windows 8.1 is actually good. I actually haven't really had any problems since around Windows 8's release; It was somewhat unstable then but it's extremely stable now(I haven't had anything like a bluescreen in quite some time). It performs a little bit better than Windows 7 and works just as well with games as Windows 7.

If you're needing a new, seperate OS for a new build or something right at this moment(and not months in the future), then it's worth getting 8.1.
However, Windows 8/8.1 does not make enough changes from Windows 7 to be worth the upgrade.
Last edited by Air; Jan 30, 2015 @ 8:24am
Bad 💀 Motha Jan 30, 2015 @ 8:37am 
I always have issues with Win8.1 when comes to streaming though; otherwise it is fine.
Windows10 is about the same atm; not any better.
Azza ☠ Jan 30, 2015 @ 9:34am 
So my questions are:
1) is it worth to upgrade from from Win 7 64 bits to Win 8.1 64 bits for gaming?

Zero reasons - it's a media/mobile side grade, which even Microsoft is attempting to bury and get rid of as a mistake gone wrong.

2) are there any advantage for win 8.1 over win 7 for normal use? EX: office, smart phone device, smart lcd etc

You get less background services, so a slightly faster boot time. However, it's designed for touch screen, tablets, windows phone, and the xbox one console... pretty much a reduced version of Win 7, ignoring PC desktop users. You have to throw more back into it, to get it back up to the same levels of Win 7.

3) is there any new OS coming out anytime soon?

New, Win 10 will be released later this year April 2015, as a new upgrade to Win 7 and Win 8.1 users. Win 8.2 is discontinued. Win 10 will be Win 8.2 + Win 7, merged with some of the major mistakes ironed out and DirectX 12 thrown in. Even the beta version of Win 10 compares better than Win 8.1 currently... however, they are all based on the same core.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jan 30, 2015 @ 9:36am
Rumpelcrutchskin Jan 30, 2015 @ 11:17am 
They stop the testing period in April, doesnt really mean they would release it right away.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 30, 2015 @ 4:44am