wburton72 Apr 25 @ 3:42pm
Warped metal mesh on psu?
I upgraded my computer two days ago and when I took it apart I noticed the metal mesh on my Antec 450watt psu was warped. Not sure if that is normal or not. Most psu's I've seen for sale have a thick wire grill where I have a metal mesh.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
PowerHaus930 Apr 25 @ 6:57pm 
Could you post a link to the PSU so we can get a better idea of what you mean?
wburton72 Apr 25 @ 8:12pm 
My psu has this honeycomb pattern in the bottem where the fan is. It is warped. Most other psu's I've seen have thicl wire rings instead.

Wire: http://www.itinfopoint.com/contentsimages/20130107-hardware-PowerSupply.jpg\

Mesh: http://www.islabit.com/wp-content/imagenes/raul/antec-vp550p/14-antec-vp550p.jpg
Bad-Motha Apr 25 @ 8:16pm 
Generally speaking; if u have the fan-side facing down and your case already has a grille opening on the bottom for ventilation, u don't even need a grille cover on the PSU.

Still don't understand what u mean by "warped"
Maybe share a picture of YOUR PSU in it's current state, so we can see its condition and what u mean.
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Apr 25 @ 8:17pm
PowerHaus930 Apr 25 @ 8:16pm 
The first link didn't bring up any images for me but is this what you mean? http://www.itinfopoint.com/post/10/power-supply-unit/ Some PSU's use the circular metal fan protector and others use a honeycomb metal or mesh. I'm not sure why it would be warped though. As long as it's not interfering with the fan or anything else it should be fine.
wburton72 Apr 25 @ 8:17pm 
Yeah thats what I'm describing. The honeycomb part in my psu has ripples in it like as if it was caused from heat. Everything else on my psu seems fine.
Last edited by wburton72; Apr 25 @ 8:23pm
HBZK100 Apr 25 @ 8:36pm 
Is the psu making any strange noises?
wburton72 Apr 25 @ 8:59pm 
Nothing that I could notice. Only hear my fans humm and my loud hard drive read/write.

No clicks, rumbling, or grinding.
Last edited by rotNdude; Apr 26 @ 9:15am
Beornax Apr 25 @ 9:06pm 
If you mean warpped as in bent, heat and pressure bends metal if youve had it for a good length of time this could be a possibility. If it sounds fine, looks fine and smells fine then the chances are its fine and its nothing to concern yourself over.
HBZK100 Apr 25 @ 9:06pm 
hmmm, strange since I was assuming the fan was grinding itself against the mesh grill.
wburton72 Apr 25 @ 9:14pm 
The mesh part has like waves/ buldges in it. Was flat when I bought it about four months ago.

Very strange.
Last edited by rotNdude; Apr 26 @ 9:16am
Beornax Apr 25 @ 9:16pm 
That is weird, once again I stick to my earlier comment.
HBZK100 Apr 25 @ 9:20pm 
If i were you, I would get a new psu very fast. Because damaged psus can damage mobos, cpus, gpus etc.
wburton72 Apr 25 @ 9:21pm 
Wonder if heat from other components in my case along with cooling from that huge fan caused the metal to expand and contract. Its only like that on the mesh part.
Beornax Apr 25 @ 9:23pm 
Yeah, I would agree with HBZK but like i said maybe just a freak defect in the metal, bad day at the factory kinda deal.
wburton72 Apr 25 @ 9:24pm 
Very strange issue.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 25 @ 3:42pm