Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 9:37am
Install Windows 2000.
Hello!

Is there a way to install Windows 2000 in new PCs? I also heard that Windows 2000 support Windows XP drivers. My reason is to play old game.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Bad-Motha Apr 25, 2014 @ 9:44am 
Like what games? No reason shouldn't run under XP.
Compatability of 2000 vs XP were about the same.
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:00am 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
Like what games? No reason shouldn't run under XP.
Compatability of 2000 vs XP were about the same.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Got the disc and made it to install the game in this PC but there is no background music because the game used to use a format to read the music in the CD that was already dead with XP but no in 2000 or ME.
I am da Batman Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:25am 
Thats because the music is probably a redbook cd track (ordinary cd-audio that you can playback on any cd-player) ? Then you would need a cable to connect the analog audio-out on the cd/dvd-rom to the proper input on your soundcard or motherboard.
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 11:06am 
Originally posted by $€X¥ Mario:
Thats because the music is probably a redbook cd track (ordinary cd-audio that you can playback on any cd-player) ? Then you would need a cable to connect the analog audio-out on the cd/dvd-rom to the proper input on your soundcard or motherboard.

Ok. I can reproduce the game background music in my PC and PS3 as you said. Let me see what I can do for the PC part.
Last edited by Costa Rica's Army.; Apr 25, 2014 @ 11:19am
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 11:30am 
Well, my drive doesn't have a analog audio-out :/
HBZK100 Apr 25, 2014 @ 12:03pm 
LOL, had to laugh when i heard windows 2000.

Your best bet would be to install xp and use windows 2000 compatablility mode to run older games. This was the only way I could play Heavy Gear 2.

If you have a powerful computer, you can do all of this through vmware player. I played battlezone in vmware with extremely buttery smooth framerates.
Segata Sanshiro Apr 25, 2014 @ 12:08pm 
CDDA will run fine when the disc containing it is in the first CD drive. Change it in Computer Management (not sure about English name, but it is in Administrative Tools).

If you want to install Win2k (or Win98, more like) and use it for serious retro gaming, you would be better off making new-old machine with less RAM or 3dfx card or A3D sound (all that fancy stuff that wouldn't work now).
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 1:03pm 
Originally posted by HBZK100:

Your best bet would be to install xp and use windows 2000 compatablility mode to run older games. This was the only way I could play Heavy Gear 2.

If you have a powerful computer, you can do all of this through vmware player. I played battlezone in vmware with extremely buttery smooth framerates.

I already tried VMware. I doesn't work for 3D acceleration card games.
Bad-Motha Apr 25, 2014 @ 1:12pm 
Originally posted by CR-Manuel-278:

Then u either not using a good app, or you doing something wrong.
It does and can work just fine. We run various WinOS and 3D Apps on our work systems all the time.
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Apr 25, 2014 @ 1:12pm
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 2:16pm 

Then u either not using a good app, or you doing something wrong.
It does and can work just fine. We run various WinOS and 3D Apps on our work systems all the time.

Would you mind help me with this xD? I have set up some virtual machines time ago for other games but most of my old games that needs 3D acceleration doesn't work. Do you mind testing the demo of the game? It's like 30Mb or 50MB.
HBZK100 Apr 25, 2014 @ 4:05pm 
Do u have descrete graphics?
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 6:10pm 

Descrete?
Bad-Motha Apr 25, 2014 @ 7:24pm 

Descrete?

Dedicated... do u have dedicated GPU card, or Onboard GPU?
HBZK100 Apr 25, 2014 @ 7:28pm 
If ur using igpu then you will not get good frame rates, whereas a dgpu can.
Costa Rica's Army. Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:26pm 

Descrete?

Dedicated... do u have dedicated GPU card, or Onboard GPU?

Dedicated.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 25, 2014 @ 9:37am