AlfedTheTopHat Apr 19 @ 2:09am
Pc kept freezing while playing games
So I installed a new graphic card and a new power supply for my pc recently. But it started freezing while playing games. Sometime's I can play for a couple hours, sometime it freezes in mere minutes. When it does, it makes this noise that resemble a nail on a chalkboard and the only thing I can do is a hard reboot. I've noticed that it freezes sooner for more graphically demanding games like Witcher 2 and Age of Wonder 3. While some other games like Warlock, I can play for much longer.

And you guys help me out with this?

Here's my specs

GPU: GeForce GTX 660
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Ram 4.00GB
PSU: 650W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
1TB internal Harddrive
Window 7 64bit

Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Rumpelcrutchskin (Banned) Apr 19 @ 2:45am 
4 Gb RAM is kinda not enough for 2 Gb VRAM graphics card, more demanding games like Witcher 2 use more RAM and you may just run out of free memory, especially when game has some small memory leak.
I would suggest raising your RAM to 8 Gb.
Also check your graphics card temperatures to make sure it's not overheating.
This sound when crashing is kinda suspicious too, probably good idea to see if there is no problem with graphics card fans. If they dont spin properly and there is some mechanical fault the card may overheat and crash, especially in Witcher 2 that uses lot of graphics power and drives card to the limits.
Also get latest drivers from Nvidia website.
Bad-Motha Apr 19 @ 2:58am 
I would first try a different PSU if demanding games are cutting out on your causing hard reboots and alike.

If it's doing this just within the OS, well it could be a number of things then, such as faulty RAM.

Disable the reboot option in Windows for when errors/blue screens occur so u can see what the errors are. Or check in Windows Error Logs for any signs of those.
AlfedTheTopHat Apr 19 @ 3:49pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
4 Gb RAM is kinda not enough for 2 Gb VRAM graphics card, more demanding games like Witcher 2 use more RAM and you may just run out of free memory, especially when game has some small memory leak.
I would suggest raising your RAM to 8 Gb.
Also check your graphics card temperatures to make sure it's not overheating.
This sound when crashing is kinda suspicious too, probably good idea to see if there is no problem with graphics card fans. If they dont spin properly and there is some mechanical fault the card may overheat and crash, especially in Witcher 2 that uses lot of graphics power and drives card to the limits.
Also get latest drivers from Nvidia website.

So my best bet would be the get a more ram?
I was playing Age of Wonders III last night and the temperture peaked at about 78 degree for the GPU, CPU only around 40. Also the noise comes from the speakers not the case itself.

Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
I would first try a different PSU if demanding games are cutting out on your causing hard reboots and alike.

If it's doing this just within the OS, well it could be a number of things then, such as faulty RAM.

Disable the reboot option in Windows for when errors/blue screens occur so u can see what the errors are. Or check in Windows Error Logs for any signs of those.

Is there a way to check if the PSU is a problem with getting a new one? The one I'm using is the only one I got with a big enough waltage.

Also there's no blue screen, everything just froze. All I can't do is hit the power button.
Rumpelcrutchskin (Banned) Apr 19 @ 4:33pm 
Temperatures are normal.
You should raise your RAM to 8Gb no matter what, 4 Gb is starting to be really not enough those days. Probably good idea to get new 2x4 Gb 1600 Mhz kit instead of trying to add another 2x2 Gb, especially if you have 1333 Mhz RAM. That way it's pretty much quaranteed to work without issues if RAM sticks are good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231548

Freezing is usually driver issues or corrupted memory sticks. Make sure you have latest drivers for sound and graphics card.
Seseorang Apr 20 @ 9:48am 
You've only listed the PSU as being 650w. What model is it? Please don't say it's Thermal Take

Unfortunately, no 2 PSU's are the same. Most of the time, the power listed on them is peak.

You're describing game freezes where the computer becomes unresponsive until you hard-reset. This leads me to your PSU.

You could get another 650w PSU from Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, and Antec, and they will provide the rated power all day long.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 19 @ 2:09am