verycatchy Apr 17 @ 7:42am
Thinking SSD
Hey, I'm *thinking* about getting a SSD - been looking at the samsung 840 pro 256 or 512gb version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

I've talked to a few people and they all say they just put their operating system onto the SSD and everything else onto another hard drive - Is that pointless?

I'm currently on a regular hd with roughly 500gb - It's been good to me.

Once everything is all cached up in my ram and what not, I seem to load just as fast as anyone using a SSD in terms of gaming - but I'm sure their application launching / windows boot times are superior - along with alt tabbing and etc.

So is it time to upgrade? And is it best to do a format with this.. I really wanted to do a 1:1 clone but a lot of people tell me doing a clone will result in worse performance compared to a format

And my motherboard has 4 sata slots - 2 of them for high performance SSD - so will I need a special SATA cable as well? (probably I'm thinking)

Anyway what are your thoughts, and if I do get it should I go with the 512gb version and keep everything on it, or get the less version and just put the OS on it (or you can recommend me another SSD - but I've read nothing but good from the samsung one)

I don't really have a budget, but I'd rather NOT exceed $300 for this!
Last edited by rotNdude; Apr 17 @ 7:48am
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
HBZK100 Apr 17 @ 8:09am 
Well, if your gaming only, I don't think it's worth it since all it does is boot the games faster. And it doesn't make a difference when in game. However, if you want a good boot time, then I would highly recommend a ssd.

Get the samsung 840 Pro, it is one of the fastest ssds around. I would of recommended corsair neutron ssds, however they are slower and more expensive so the samsung as the best price to performance ratio.

BTW... You don't need a big ssd, all you need to do is just use your ssd to put windows and other neccessary programs on, then just use your other drive for games and other files.
Last edited by rotNdude; Apr 17 @ 8:19am
akiranyo Apr 17 @ 8:21am 
Main reason why people buy SSD, cause they want a faster start of their OS and of their main programs. Many people simply also cannot afford to buy too big SSDs, therefore the 64-128GB + 1-2 TB HDD is a cheaper and perhaps a bit more reliable solution for them.
Well, reliability. Appareantly SSD also don't like when their data is overwriten too often (games have auto-saves and checkpoints right?) though as long it's a fairly new technology is hard to say something definite about the lifespan here. Also as you fill up your SSD more and more, performance seems to decrease - though as I made my research this also depends what a controller that SSD uses (Marvell, Sandforce) Some might be better and some might be worse by reading 4k clusters.
Samsung EVO is a good choice and they gained a good reputation for decent prices and great performance. Keep also in my mind that perfomance is always better with more space. The Samsung EVO 240 will perform a bit better as the 120GB.
Except them also Crucial and Kingston makes great budget SSD. Just avoid OZC, seriously.

SATA III cable will do just fine, only if your MB is really old.

Your decision. For me the SSD + HDD solution sounds the best, but I bet somebody after me will appear and say "get the 512 and put all onto it, you have there a warranty anyways".
Last edited by akiranyo; Apr 17 @ 8:23am
HBZK100 Apr 17 @ 8:29am 
Yeah, the SSD + HDD is the best money saver. You have to pay a ton of money for those half a terabyte ssds.
verycatchy Apr 17 @ 8:57am 
So you guys are saying get an SSD and put things like windows on it, graphics card drivers, and other motherboard drivers - but things that constantly update like browsers/steam client/games keep on the hard drive?
Last edited by verycatchy; Apr 17 @ 8:57am
Yosshī Apr 17 @ 9:09am 
SSD for Windows and some Programms you often need. for example games with long loaading sequences. For the rest your usual HDD. oh and 120GB are more than enough
rotNdude Apr 17 @ 9:29am 
I wouldn't spend the money unless you boot your computer a lot and you want a faster response for application loading. I have a 256GB Crucial M4 as the only drive in one of my systems and a 128GB Crucial M4 in an old system and I like the fast boot times and application load times.
Caelius Apr 17 @ 12:20pm 
I don't really notice a difference with my SSD when it comes to gaming. But with load times for different applications and booting it makes a big difference. Where cost is concerned, you can stay well under 300 and still have room for several programs on the SSD, and just use a regular HDD for 'junk' that you don't use very often.
Eucliwood Hellscythe Apr 17 @ 10:50pm 
I can Buys 1Tb ssd for 400
Dungeonlord Apr 17 @ 11:27pm 
i'd say buy a 120/128gb ssd for your os then get another 64gb or 120/128gb hdd for your games then put the rest of your data (movies music files etc..) on your hdd this will give you the best speed possible and have the lowest chance for an i/o bottleneck. i have a laptop and a desktop and both have a ssd+hdd combo and it makes the machine feel so much snappier i'll never own another pc that doesnt have a ssd for the os
Bad-Motha Apr 18 @ 12:09am 
120 / 128 GB is good choice. All need to put on that really is OS and core drivers and apps. Can get em for around $79 - 99

Then use HDDs for your games and general files, backups, downloads...
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Apr 18 @ 12:09am
(863) 256-79-41 Apr 18 @ 1:34pm 
two hard drives in a raid array-level 0 reliability is 5 times stronger every SSD
Bad-Motha Apr 18 @ 9:56pm 
Originally posted by (863) 256-79-41:
two hard drives in a raid array-level 0 reliability is 5 times stronger every SSD

Stronger? Compared to what? Ur statement just does not make any sense.

Any drive can fail at any time. Raid-0 consists of two or more drives, and yet having only 2 will not come close to SSD read/write speeds (3 drives or more can), even still u are talking about 2 drives in Raid working as one. The chance of one of those HDDs failing is much higher when compared to just any one single drive. SSDs are not any less reliable than a HDD.
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Apr 18 @ 9:57pm
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 17 @ 7:42am