Всички дискусии > Steam форум > Hardware and Operating Systems > Подробности за темата
Тази тема е заключена
Which video game truly benefits from an i7 (hyper-threading)?
By "benefit", I mean: CPU offers a significant fps boost (not just 2-5 fps, as it's known), like 20, 25+ fps..

Well? Tell me all the games you know that work MUCH better (20+ fps) on i7 CPUs than i5 ones.

Thank you in advance.

As a side note: I'm also asking this because I'm planning to buy a new PC (for gaming; money = moderate). And I don't know what CPU: a 4 core (i5) or a 4 core with hyper-threading (i7; which acts like a 8 core). I want to play tommorow's games at high settings (not necesarily maximum), on 1920*1080, at ~60 FPS.
Последно редактиран от Myth[Alex]; 5 апр. 2014 в 11:45
< >
Показване на 1-15 от 27 коментара
That's a tough one. Because hyperthreading are actually virtual cores, they only boost the physical 4 cores.

Just get a core i5, hardly any games support hyperthreading.

The only reason to get a i7 is for cpu heavy programs, like virtual machines and rendering.

Or, if you that type of guy, that likes to have the best of the best just to have it.
Последно редактиран от rotNdude; 6 апр. 2014 в 9:23
Първоначално публикувано от HBZK100:
That's a tough one. Because hyperthreading are actually virtual cores, they only boost the physical 4 cores.

Just get a core i5, hardly any games support hyperthreading.

Yes, I know that.

Well, what if games will start supporting hyperthreading??? A current example is Watch_Dogs, who asks for an i7 (and 8 core AMD cpu) at recommended specs (search for it on Steam, it's available as pre-order) :-\ What do you say now? Should I still get the i5 (Will it keep my future games play smooth, on ~high settings for the next ~3 years)? Or aim for an i7?

Първоначално публикувано от HBZK100:
The only reason to get a i7 is for cpu heavy programs, like virtual machines and rendering.

Or, if you that type of guy, that likes to have the best of the best just to have it.

No, I'm not. I'm just a gamer.
Последно редактиран от rotNdude; 6 апр. 2014 в 9:23
I'd go for Xeon to have the best thing available xDD
Първоначално публикувано от PLANTROON:

You're NOT replying to my main question -_-

WHICH VIDEO GAMES ARE KNOWN FOR SUPPORTING HYPERTHREADING?
Първоначално публикувано от ☆MythAlex ツ:

Sorry .. Well the only thing that would make sense is Battlefield 3/4, Crysis 3 ..
But tbh, you don't need an i7 for gaming yet. Companies are trying to put more pressure on graphics cards (nVidia PhysX, AMD Mantle) so that CPUs don't have to do heavy job. The only thing that people talk about is better AI on nextgen consoles - that would require more CPU power.

Today, i5 is enough. i7 can only provide noticeable FPS boost in games that support more than 4 cores - I mentioned them in the beginning.

Sorry .. Well the only thing that would make sense is Battlefield 3/4, Crysis 3 ..
But tbh, you don't need an i7 for gaming yet. Companies are trying to put more pressure on graphics cards (nVidia PhysX, AMD Mantle) so that CPUs don't have to do heavy job. The only thing that people talk about is better AI on nextgen consoles - that would require more CPU power.

Today, i5 is enough. i7 can only provide noticeable FPS boost in games that support more than 4 cores - I mentioned them in the beginning.

Yeah, I just made a search on google. It seems that only BF3/4 and Crysis 3 benefit from HT. And the minimum fps on i5 CPUs without HT was good (~50). I play at a 60hz monitor (so I need 60 fps) :-) You're right.

I hope every game will still get ~60 fps on CPUs without HT in the future. I see a trend nowadays: 120hz monitor / 120 fps. And I don't need that (I don't need 120 frames-per-sec). :D: 60 fps is fine. Thank you. I'm now 95% sure I'll get an i5.
Последно редактиран от Myth[Alex]; 5 апр. 2014 в 12:58
an i7 will hold more than 2 gpu's better (won't get bottlenecked) also sorry to say but games ARE going to be using 8 cores from now on ( or the cpu overhead will get removed through mantle/dx12)
Първоначално публикувано от time goblin:
an i7 will hold more than 2 gpu's better (won't get bottlenecked) also sorry to say but games ARE going to be using 8 cores from now on ( or the cpu overhead will get removed through mantle/dx12)

No problem. Sorry, but I don't have money for a top-end CPU, like i7s.
Първоначално публикувано от time goblin:

No problem. Sorry, but I don't have money for a top-end CPU, like i7s.
whats your budget?
The game that utilizes all cores the best for me so far is Battlefield 4. The more cores the better it runs. Also if you look at the benchmarks an i7 has very little performance increase over an i5 for almost every game out there. There is just a few games that are able to take advantage of the extra i7 features.
Последно редактиран от Facedown; 5 апр. 2014 в 14:40
I don't see any gaming benefit using high end i7 CPUs except for extreme cases. If you check benchmarks a $230 i5 does just as good as a $1000 i7. Just about all Intel CPUs give better gaming performance than a 6 or 8 core AMD.

The only reason to get an i7 is if you need a workstation and gaming PC in one machine or want 3 or 4-way SLI. If you use a 4k monitor or multiple 1440p monitors with SLI then get a high end i7 like the i7-4930K or i7-4960X and quad SLI 780 Ti or Titans.

You can play any game on ultra settings with a single 1080 monitor with specs like these.

i5 4670K
8GB 1600 Mhz RAM
GTX 770

The trend is more cores and Intel is close to releasing their first 8 core extreme CPU. I wouldn't care about that until a few years when it's time to upgrade, more games need the extra cores and the price of the CPUs come down.
Първоначално публикувано от Syke:
I don't see any gaming benefit using high end i7 CPUs except for extreme cases. If you check benchmarks a $230 i5 does just as good as a $1000 i7. Just about all Intel CPUs give better gaming performance than a 6 or 8 core AMD.

The only reason to get an i7 is if you need a workstation and gaming PC in one machine or want 3 or 4-way SLI. If you use a 4k monitor or multiple 1440p monitors with SLI then get a high end i7 like the i7-4930K or i7-4960X and quad SLI 780 Ti or Titans.

You can play any game on ultra settings with a single 1080 monitor with specs like these.

i5 4670K
8GB 1600 Mhz RAM
GTX 770

The trend is more cores and Intel is close to releasing their first 8 core extreme CPU. I wouldn't care about that until a few years when it's time to upgrade, more games need the extra cores and the price of the CPUs come down.

Thank you very much!

Yes, I play at 1080p. No need for higher resolution. Also, I'm aiming for 60fps.

This is funny, because that system is the one I thought of :D:

Let me put you some questions:

> Do I need more than 8 GB RAM? (for gaming) Like ~12?
> Should I overclock the i5 4670k to 4GHz? Or it isn't needed? Is there any risk if you OC it? A friend told me the cpu will degrade much faster. But many people OC their cpus... Well?
> 2GB or 3GB video memory? I thought of 3.
> Can I upgrade the video card in the future (with one from gtx 900 series), without changing any of the parts?
Последно редактиран от Myth[Alex]; 5 апр. 2014 в 15:31
You only need 8GB for gaming. In some rare cases 16GB or higher mhz memory gave a tiny fps boost. Memory doesn't really boost gaming performance much. If your mobo supports 4 sticks then you could always buy the same memory kit twice for 16GB. That wouldn't help for gaming tho. If you want to record videos and edit them then get 16GB. If you just play games then 8GB is enough. The OS uses close to 2GB. That leaves a lot for gaming.

Overclocking the i5 4670K isn't needed. It would give you about an extra 10 fps at 4.5 Ghz (at least in Crysis 3). You risk damaging your CPU if you don't know what you're doing. If you get a good stable overclock then it should be fine for a long time with good cooling.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1061&page=6

I would get a 3GB GPU. You can still max most games with 2GB, but BF4 recommends 3GB and the trend is always more VRAM.

You can use any GPU without changing parts as long as your PSU is good enough (Corsair or SeaSonic 600w or higher). Make sure your case is big enough to fit big cards in it or has open space where the card goes. The Corsair 200R is nice and open so any single card fits in it.
Последно редактиран от Joker; 5 апр. 2014 в 15:51
i say No Beacause Anytime is use an i5 or i7 And put it agianst an Amd With 8 cores The PErformace was Better on the 8 core
Първоначално публикувано от Syke:
You only need 8GB for gaming. In some rare cases 16GB or higher mhz memory gave a tiny fps boost. Memory doesn't really boost gaming performance much. If your mobo supports 4 sticks then you could always buy the same memory kit twice for 16GB. That wouldn't help for gaming tho. If you want to record videos and edit them then get 16GB. If you just play games then 8GB is enough. The OS uses close to 2GB. That leaves a lot for gaming.

Overclocking the i5 4670K isn't needed. It would give you about an extra 10 fps at 4.5 Ghz (at least in Crysis 3). You risk damaging your CPU if you don't know what you're doing. If you get a good stable overclock then it should be fine for a long time with good cooling.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1061&page=6

I would get a 3GB GPU. You can still max most games with 2GB, but BF4 recommends 3GB and the trend is always more VRAM.

You can use any GPU without changing parts as long as your PSU is good enough (Corsair or SeaSonic 600w or higher). Make sure your case is big enough to fit big cards in it or has open space where the card goes. The Corsair 200R is nice and open so any single card fits in it.

> I get it

> Well, I won't OC it by myself. I'll put someone who knows (or even pay him). What's a good stable OC value for that cpu? Also, tell me a good cooler.

> I see

> So a 600w or higher Power supply unit, I get it. Why does it have to be big? I don't think the future generation GPUs will get bigger in their physical size, lol. Can you explain me why?
< >
Показване на 1-15 от 27 коментара
На страница: 1530 50

Всички дискусии > Steam форум > Hardware and Operating Systems > Подробности за темата
Дата на публикуване: 5 апр. 2014 в 11:44
Публикации: 27